Favourite badass moment

ReleaseTheHound

Fetch me a block is absolutely a badass moment. It was the point of showing he has the courage to do what needs to be done. You don't have to like it, but you also don't need to judge someone else just because they do.

Dracarys, badass

Ned and Jaime duel

Fetch me a block is absolutely a badass moment. It was the point of showing he has the courage to do what needs to be done. You don't have to like it, but you also don't need to judge someone else just because they do.

Dracarys, badass

Ned and Jaime duel

Thankyou! It was badass to me and you atleast

I just remembered LF pushing lysa through the moon door obviously

Mine would have to be jon beheading Janos slynt. "fetch me a block" is like music to the ears because slynt was such a shit

The fight at the crossroads inn too and the end of the mercy chapter which I won't describe for spoilers but you know if you know

have to agree with you on the Janos beheading. hated that guy. when i read that Jon chapter i was so pumped haha

Well I would have to say that it was something from an Arya chapter, somewhere. Because other than Arya, Martin simply does not have his good guys (other than Arya) do anything badass. All the badass moments come from villains or semi-villains like the Hound and people of that ilk.

Up to now, Martin has just had his good guys sit and take abuse. The Janos Slynt situation was not badass in the slightest. Jon was in a position of power, Slynt was not, and Jon simply acted according to the responsibilities of his position. No passion or sense of personal satisfaction whatsoever. And Slynt was actually too pathetic a character to take seriously. So the pay-off was slim in any case, however Jon went about it.

It left me completely cold.

EDIT

Of course, I'm ignoring peripheral Northmen like the Greatjon, the Mountain Clansmen etc. who are pretty badass by reason of their very existence. The Wull or Norry's speech to Lord Peapod was probably my favorite part of the series.

That moment gave me chills. As you know, Slynt was one of the men responsible for betraying Ned in KL. Jon's didn't have to behead Janos in that situation, he chose to because it was his Father's way. He managed to enact a little bit of justice for Ned while still adhering to his duties as LC. It may not be "badass" in the sense that it was a good fight, but the "Edd, fetch me a block" was badass in my eyes. The way he got Janos to think he wasn't going to follow through, and then taking that idea and crushing it beneath his feet, that was awesome. I don't think you're right in saying there was no personal satisfaction in the matter, pretty sure Jon felt like lopping Janos' head off the moment he met him in Storm. Also, don't quote me on this one because I don't know for sure, but wasn't Jon aware of Janos' role in Ned's betrayal? I swear he referenced Ned's betrayal while carrying out the execution. If that's the case, then that's very personal.

Oh and this, "'Have no fear, sers, your king is safe... no thanks to you. Even now, I could cut through the five of you as easy as a dagger cuts cheese. If you would serve under the Kingslayer, not a one of you is fit to wear the white. Here, boy. Melt it down and add it to the others, if you like. It will do you more good than the swords in the hands of these five. Perhaps Lord Stannis will chance to sit on it when he takes your throne."

He saved one of the most horrible people in the series.

Indeed, Aerys is that. Barristan is Kingsguard, sworn to protect the King with his life. Unlike the other Kingsguard , he honors his oath by scaling a castle wall that has been under siege for 6 months. He then extracts from that castle the only bargaining chip the inhabitants of said castle have. The sight of Barry walking out of Duskendale , just him and the King, has to be one of the most jaw dropping moments of the series. Aerys is a low-life douche. Barristan is bad-assery incarnate.

DAEMON'S DRAGONJUMP!

Donal Noye v the giants

Jon v Qhorin

Blackfish's snark

Courtnay Remember-the-name-of-this-castle? Penrose

See? You know your lines.

First sword of Braavos does not run.

Any name? Jaquen H'ghar

Whispering Wood, both sides

Dany stepping into the pyre

Dracarys!

Dany whipping Drogon into submission

The Hound v Gregor

Oberyn Martell

Tywin bitch-slapping Joffrey

Perhaps he'll bring me yours.

Tyrion's speech and charge at BBW

Jaime fighting Brienne in chains and almost winning

We're all in it for Ned's little girl

THE NORTH REMEMBERS!

For me it's definitely Jon executing Janos. Some have said it's no big deal because Jon is LC, so it's just part of the job. But to me, that moment really cemented Jon's ability to take control of the NW and exercise his authority. With his age, his illegitimate birth, and the fact that he was essentially a compromise candidate without a strong backing of his own, Jon could easily have turned into a weak and ineffectual LC. That was even more likely with Slynt and Ser Alliser pretty much actively trying to undermine his authority. In one stroke Jon eliminated Slynt as a rival and a cancer within the NW, put Alliser on notice that he wasn't going to take any crap, and made it clear to everyone that he alone is in charge. What's more, I think that scene earned him some respect from Stannis as well (witness him looking on approvingly), and so helped to put their relationship on more of an equal footing.

And the best part of all was that Janos clearly brought it upon himself. Jon didn't just have him assassinated, or imprisoned on trumped up charges as a rival. He got what he deserved.

• Barristan disguising himself as a Hedge Knight and jousting with Duncan the Tall and Duncan the Small

• Barristan beating Duncan the Tall and Duncan the Small, aged 16

Barristan duelling and killing Maelys, the Last Blackfyre Pretender

Barristan during the defiance of Duskendale

Barristan quitting his job as a KG

Barristan taking down the Titan's Bastard

Barristan daring Balerion in Dazhnak's Pit

Barristan taking down Khrazz and imprisoning Hizdahr

Barristan's sortie during the siege of Meereen

Indeed, Aerys is that. Barristan is Kingsguard, sworn to protect the King with his life. Unlike the other Kingsguard , he honors his oath by scaling a castle wall that has been under siege for 6 months. He then extracts from that castle the only bargaining chip the inhabitants of said castle have. The sight of Barry walking out of Duskendale , just him and the King, has to be one of the most jaw dropping moments of the series. Aerys is a low-life douche. Barristan is bad-assery incarnate.

He is...but...he saved Aerys.

Duskendale had been his finest hour, yet the memory tasted bitter on his tongue.[4]

-Barristan Selmy

That is more sad than badass, IMO.

Archived