So this book is about the blackwoods right?

Ash Kumar

Well yeah. Blackwoods have married into the North, while we know other Riverlands houses marry Reach, Stormlands, Vale and Westerlands houses.

Blackwood marries Stark, their kid marries Royce, whose kids marry an Arryn, down to the Baratheons, who marry a Hightower, who marry a Lannister, who marries a Lefford, who marries a Tully. By then the Blackwood blood is obsolete, but its everywhere.

I do get the impression they are one of George's favorites, and despite intending the Blackwood/Bracken rivalry to be equally stupid on both sides, he has some personal bias toward Raventree over Stone Hedge.

^Agreed. I think the Blackwoods are cool and all, but it feels a little awkward that they are everywhere. Are they really that important?

Starks and Targs have a very isolated gene pool though. Starks stick to First Men houses, usually northerners. So you are unlikely to find Stark relations in the majority of houses south of the neck. Any significant relation to the Starks would have to go through the Blackwoods, Tullys, Royces and Random Rogers.

Interestingly enough the Starks and Targs are related through .... You guessed it house blackwood!!!

Aegon V (raegars great grand father )married a blackwood as did (Ned's great grand father )William stark .... Might have been sisters?

...they have a giant Weirwood in their courtyard and have a cool sigil, they're important

^^ This. The Blackwoods have a weirwood with Ravebs sigil....really? Yea, they are important. Much like the Daynes. they may have a big significance in the end, despite the fact that they have hardly been mentioned before.

I didnt see it as Blackwoods good/Brackens evil.

I chose to assume George intended his slender albino sorcerer to push a few buttons reminding people of one of the most popular pulp fantasy heroes of all time.

Who is that?

ASOIAF, LOTR and the Once and Future

King are the only books I've read in the genre.

I thought GRRM took "Blackwood" from famous horror short story writer Algernon Blackwood

I really want to know the story behind the Rogers.

They are literally nobodies. Well I mean they are a major lord of the Stormlands, but they are like a par to the Peaseburys.

A significant contribution to the Watch? Did they refuse to aid Lyonel in his rebellion, and where thus gifted a marriage?

We need a small questions thread for this book....

Well we know the girl's dad was a wanderer so maybe he made friends and as she was not going to inherit anything he gave his friend a great marriage for his son.

I want to know who the 4 daughters of Aly Blackwood and Cregan Stark married. I would bet money that Aly Blackwood's blood has gone back into the Starks through a female line.

^^ This. The Blackwoods have a weirwood with Ravebs sigil....really? Yea, they are important. Much like the Daynes. they may have a big significance in the end, despite the fact that they have hardly been mentioned before.

I didnt see it as Blackwoods good/Brackens evil.

Well Bloodraven is a Blackwood, that makes them important enough.

Well we know the girl's dad was a wanderer so maybe he made friends and as she was not going to inherit anything he gave his friend a great marriage for his son.

I want to know who the 4 daughters of Aly Blackwood and Cregan Stark married. I would bet money that Aly Blackwood's blood has gone back into the Starks through a female line.

That is what I had assumed, Rodrick made friends. Maybe a future ministory?

Those four daughters drive me crazy. These trees filled in so many gaps, but opened 100 more. Married northerners I guess, but which ones? Bolton!?

I really want to know the story behind the Rogers.

They are literally nobodies. Well I mean they are a major lord of the Stormlands, but they are like a par to the Peaseburys.

A significant contribution to the Watch? Did they refuse to aid Lyonel in his rebellion, and where thus gifted a marriage?

We need a small questions thread for this book....

Rogers is a typo for Royce.

Rogers is a typo for Royce.

Harrold Rogers is a Rogers. Benedict Rogers is a Royce. One is a Rogers, a random middling Stormlands house, whilst the others are Royces, the mucha famous prominent BFF of the Starks First Men house of the Vale. Twould be much similar if both were Royces, but alas :P the world is never that way.

That is what I had assumed, Rodrick made friends. Maybe a future ministory?

Those four daughters drive me crazy. These trees filled in so many gaps, but opened 100 more. Married northerners I guess, but which ones? Bolton!?

Currently thinking one must have been Lady of White Harbour. One of Cregan's most powerful bannermen, Southern leaning. You have 4 girls, as long as the ages match up there is nothing to stop that happening. Looks like we have another 4 hidden Blackwood families! ;)

Currently thinking one must have been Lady of White Harbour. One of Cregan's most powerful bannermen, Southern leaning. You have 4 girls, as long as the ages match up there is nothing to stop that happening. Looks like we have another 4 hidden Blackwood families! ;)

While I do like the idea, the Manderlys married into the family quite recently at that time, and I see no point in marrying the same family all at once.

I like to think Tallhart, Mormont, Dustin or Hornwood since they don't have names on the tree.

I also like Bolton, just to scare people into thinking that Ramsay might end up with warg blood (he is very close to his dogs!!¡¡¡!!)

And just for shit and giggles, a Bracken.

Or maybe Black Aly's daughters all died young. *sad trombone*

Someone had to say it.

Blackwoods are headstrong, and Starks are stubborn. Having 4 Arya/Lyannas in one place is a recipe for disaster. But I'd say at least one or two of them survived. What fights were the Starks in at that time? It was after the Dance, so I think none.

Starks and Targs have a very isolated gene pool though. Starks stick to First Men houses, usually northerners. So you are unlikely to find Stark relations in the majority of houses south of the neck. Any significant relation to the Starks would have to go through the Blackwoods, Tullys, Royces and Random Rogers.

The Blackwoods very likely carry the earth magic affinity gene like the Starks so their descendents have a chance to Warg, skinchange,green see, etc. The only ever Targaryan we know does this is Bloodraven and his mother was a Blackwood. With the Blackwood's history, it's even possible they were the original family to carry this gene and have strengthened it with intermarriage to cousins (as the Stark family line shows they themselves did, marrying cousins and Blackwoods and other First Men families that might carry the gene). That means of course that when Aegon the Unworthy married Betha Blackwood, the gene entered the Targaryan main line. Any of his descendents might have the gene, either as carriers, or fully manifested under the right circumstances. I suspect Duncan the Small might have manifested them given his attraction and marriage to nature girl Jenny - but just a suspicion. Anyway, she might only be a carrier but as a descendent of Betha, Dany could manifest Earth magic traits in the future if hasn't done so already.

Thus the importance of the Blackwoods to the current story and definitely to the future story because of how the whole thing is going to play out on the magical level.

While I do like the idea, the Manderlys married into the family quite recently at that time, and I see no point in marrying the same family all at once.

I like to think Tallhart, Mormont, Dustin or Hornwood since they don't have names on the tree.

I also like Bolton, just to scare people into thinking that Ramsay might end up with warg blood (he is very close to his dogs!!¡¡¡!!)

And just for shit and giggles, a Bracken.

For sure all those named! I like to think Boltons were more like the Blood Magic priests, getting their own magical powers, if any, from flaying and hanging on trees all those people of powerful bloodlines. Because c'mon who'd willingly marry a Bolton. That's a family tree I'd like to know much more about.

For sure all those named! I like to think Boltons were more like the Blood Magic priests, getting their own magical powers, if any, from flaying and hanging on trees all those people of powerful bloodlines. Because c'mon who'd willingly marry a Bolton. That's a family tree I'd like to know much more about.

Boltons are still pretty powerful, and not every lord is like Ramsay or Roose. Marriages wouldn't be to hard. Dustin's have done it, and they have vassals of their own.

But yeah I really wanna see that family tree. Especially if it contains any Starks...

Who is that?

ASOIAF, LOTR and the Once and Future

King are the only books I've read in the genre.

I thought GRRM took "Blackwood" from famous horror short story writer Algernon Blackwood

Very possible re Algernon Blackwood. I think the poster was referring to Bloodraven though, whose mother was a Blackwood. Bloodraven himself seems to be modeled on another albino white haired, red eyed sorceror, Elric of Melbinoe.

I like all the homages to past authors and their characters - it would be wonderful to see a list. I recently read the Hedge Knight books and was delighted to see the homage to Mervin Peake's Gormenghast saga and his main character Steerspike.

I, for one, would like to know how can a son of two First Men Houses be considered an Andal. According to Yandel, Benedict Justman, the first Andal king to rule the Riverlands, was the bastard of a Blackwood/Bracken couple.

And yes, there do seem to be a lot of Blackwoods woven through the story.

Archived