So this book is about the blackwoods right?

Ash Kumar

I mean seriously though I felt like if couldn't go more than 3 pages without hearing about some random blackwood. Not complaining ( just for the record) though there were mentioned so much that (crackpot theory alert) that they are actually the most if not important house the most pivotal house in the current story ... Any thoughts or theories

I'd also be interested to know if anyone was surprised by any particular revelations regarding the lords of raven tree!?

I was surprised to learn about their expulsion from the north and the wolfwood in particular ( potentially great stories and legends of this conflict)

I do get the impression they are one of George's favorites, and despite intending the Blackwood/Bracken rivalry to be equally stupid on both sides, he has some personal bias toward Raventree over Stone Hedge.

I agree entirely. To me it seems the Blackwoods are depicated as a right through "Good House" while the Brackens are an "Evil/Bad House".

And I think they are pretty cool to, but sometimes it seems like they are a traditional "High Fantasy Good Guys" House

I agree entirely. To me it seems the Blackwoods are depicated as a right through "Good House" while the Brackens are an "Evil/Bad House".

And I think they are pretty cool to, but sometimes it seems like they are a traditional "High Fantasy Good Guys" House

I chose to assume George intended his slender albino sorcerer to push a few buttons reminding people of one of the most popular pulp fantasy heroes of all time.

I mean seriously though I felt like if couldn't go more than 3 pages without hearing about some random blackwood. Not complaining ( just for the record) though there were mentioned so much that (crackpot theory alert) that they are actually the most if not important house the most pivotal house in the current story ... Any thoughts or theories

I'd also be interested to know if anyone was surprised by any particular revelations regarding the lords of raven tree!?

I was surprised to learn about their expulsion from the north and the wolfwood in particular ( potentially great stories and legends of this conflict)

I did find that tidbit interesting about the blackwoods. Why were they kicked out of the north. Did they try to reach too high like the manderlys? And yes it seems like the blackwoods are everywhere. It makes you wonder if they will play an important part in the upcoming story.

Ned and Robert were probably third cousins through the Blackwoods. I liked that bit. They really were family.

I'm a sap I know.

Lol, yes you are but that's ok. Thanks for that tidbit, I hadn't thought about that.

Is it just me or is everybody Robert's cousin?

Lol, yes you are but that's ok. Thanks for that tidbit, I hadn't thought about that.

Is it just me or is everybody Robert's cousin?

Everyone is a cousin if you trace back far enough. In the real world, even the most distantly related people are 2000th cousins, and within a country most everyone is at most a 40th cousin.

Since the high lords of Westeros are a fairly small and mostly endogamous group, I'd expect they are all no farther apart then... maybe 8th cousins? Maybe even less than that.

who powder

Elric. Moorcock's anti-Conan (literally, he designed the character by making a list of core traits of Conan and his narrative and writing their opposites).

I'm not saying Bloodraven is a full-blown expy or anything like that, but as a slender albino sorcerer antihero, he definitely has strong reminiscent elements, and as we see in Dany's narrative, pulp fantasy is a definite thematic influence on George.

Everyone is a cousin if you trace back far enough. In the real world, even the most distantly related people are 2000th cousins, and within a country most everyone is at most a 40th cousin.

Since the high lords of Westeros are a fairly small and mostly endogamous group, I'd expect they are all no farther apart then... maybe 8th cousins? Maybe even less than that.

Starks and Targs have a very isolated gene pool though. Starks stick to First Men houses, usually northerners. So you are unlikely to find Stark relations in the majority of houses south of the neck. Any significant relation to the Starks would have to go through the Blackwoods, Tullys, Royces and Random Rogers.

Starks and Targs have a very isolated gene pool though. Starks stick to First Men houses, usually northerners. So you are unlikely to find Stark relations in the majority of houses south of the neck. Any significant relation to the Starks would have to go through the Blackwoods, Tullys, Royces and Random Rogers.

I really want to know the story behind the Rogers.

They are literally nobodies. Well I mean they are a major lord of the Stormlands, but they are like a par to the Peaseburys.

A significant contribution to the Watch? Did they refuse to aid Lyonel in his rebellion, and where thus gifted a marriage?

We need a small questions thread for this book....

Mostly, but not entirely. The Blackwoods frequently intermarry with other Riverlands houses, and all Riverlands houses occasionally marry outside their region, so any Blackwood marriage is going to bring in some Andal blood. Same goes for the Royces. Even if only a fifth, or fewer, lordly marriages are cross-regional, you're still creating links that make everyone related to everyone else.

And no doubt Aemma Arryn, Mariah Martell, Dyanna Dayne, and Betha Blackwood could trace their ancestries through many generations of intermarriage with many other lordly houses, which in turn intermarried with others, making them distant cousins of just about everybody if you're willing to spend enough time tracing. So the Targs are related to everyone too.

Archived