When Mountains Blow In The Wind

Northernmonkey

I've been reading ADWD again and I think it's pretty much a given that Dany can have kids again.

Here's MMD's prophecy:

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the East" said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

I think everyone agrees that the sun rising in the East and setting in the West is Quentyn's death, and that the seas going dry refers to the Dothraki Sea. The bit that it generally up for debate is the 'mountains blowing in the wind like leaves'. I think this conclusively refers to the Pyramids of Meereen being destroyed. Here's a passage from the end of ADWD:

Beneath her veils, the Green Grace sighed. “The peace that we worked so hard to forge flutters

like a leaf in an autumn wind. These are dire days. Death stalks our streets, riding the pale mare from

thrice-cursed Astapor. Dragons haunt the skies, feasting on the flesh of children. Hundreds are taking

ship, sailing for Yunkai, for Tolos, for Qarth, for any refuge that will have them. The pyramid of Hazkar

has collapsed into a smoking ruin, and many of that ancient line lie dead beneath its blackened stones.

So basically GRRM uses the phrase 'flutter like a leaf in an autumn wind' in the same paragraph that he talks about the pyramid being destroyed. That's got to be a hint right?

And that also means that every part of MMD's prophecy happens at roughly the same time, just before Dany has her miscarriage (or whatever it is). Is this case closed?

I think they're intentional red herrings, and we've yet to really see the sun rise in the west and set in the east or any mountains blow in the wind. Like the three treasons, when it comes, we won't need threads to debate it.

The prophesy doesn't really offer an insight into her ability or inability to have children, only that Drogo won't return to her until after she bears a living child.

But peace flutters like leaves, what has that got to do with pyramids, and what has that got to do with mountains?

Well the mountain in the prophecy is the pyramid.

I just think it's strange that GRRM chooses to use an almost identical phrase to the one in the prophecy, in the same paragraph as he describes the pyramid collapsing (eg. blowing in the wind).

And also this paragraph is from the chapter that directly precedes the one where Dany starts bleeding, presumably meaning that she can have kids again.

So if I'm correct then every part of the prophecy happens within the space of two chapters, and then Dany starts bleeding. It fits perfectly.

I think they're intentional red herrings, and we've yet to really see the sun rise in the west and set in the east or any mountains blow in the wind. Like the three treasons, when it comes, we won't need threads to debate it.

I think you're looking too far into it. You won't find a more fitting match for 'the sun rising in the west and setting in the east' than Quentyn, and the same goes for the Dothraki Sea. And from the end of ADWD it looks like Dany can have kids again, otherwise what would be the point of that bleeding scene?

I think you're looking too far into it. You won't find a more fitting match for 'the sun rising in the west and setting in the east' than Quentyn, and the same goes for the Dothraki Sea. And from the end of ADWD it looks like Dany can have kids again, otherwise what would be the point of that bleeding scene?

Lol are you trying to say he/she is looking too far into it when you are saying pyramids are mountains and that a collapsed one is the same as blowing in the wind?

The prophecy is in reference to Drogo returning to her, and one of the conditions is that she bears a living child.

Anyways I would say that the mountains blowing in the wind are the fourteen flames of Valyria, which exploded and quite literally rained ash from the sky like at hard home. If that doesn't count as a mountain blowing in the wind then its all figurative, though I agree the sea could be interpreted as the dothraki sea.

Also I think its worth mentioning that MMD didn't even declare this to be a prophecy, and to me sounds more like a bitchy offhand remark from a vengeful woman.

Lol are you trying to say he/she is looking too far into it when you are saying pyramids are mountains and that a collapsed one is the same as blowing in the wind?

Dany compares the pyramid to a mountain at least once, and collapsing isn't that far from blowing in the wind.

I agree that it's the one part of the prophecy that's stretching it slightly, but for me the parts about Quentyn and the Dothraki Sea seem a done deal, as is Dany's womb quickening.

So three parts of the prophecy happen within the space of two chapters, and four if you include the pyramid collapsing. Don't you think that's a bit of a coincidence?

But the prophecy is about drogo coming back to her is the problem. Its not that I don't think you're onto something or that dany can have kids again, its that if the prophecy is coming true its a sign of drogo returning, not her being able to have kids because that's already a condition of the prophecy.

Maybe she shouldn't have burned him up

But the prophecy is about drogo coming back to her is the problem. Its not that I don't think you're onto something or that dany can have kids again, its that if the prophecy is coming true its a sign of drogo returning, not her being able to have kids because that's already a condition of the prophecy.

Yeah I generally tend to ignore that part and focus on the rest. I think there's enough evidence to suggest that the rest of the prophecy is happening, even if it's just an easter egg for the readers.

Maybe Drogo returning is some sort of metaphorical thing. Maybe it just means Drogon.

Yeah I generally tend to ignore that part and focus on the rest. I think there's enough evidence to suggest that the rest of the prophecy is happening, even if it's just an easter egg for the readers.

Maybe Drogo is some sort of metaphorical thing. Maybe it just means Drogon, who returns straight after her womb quickens.

Its surely metaphorical and I think its signaling Drogon is now her protector and companion rather than just a pet. Either that or one of the new khals, or ya know ashy wighty drogo hehe

And yes I do think that its an ironic twist on MMD who thought she knew everything, when Danny might arguably the most potent magical force in world at this point in terns of her accomplishments and the fact that it doesn't seem to tax or cost her in the way it does people like meli and Stannis.

I doubt it refers to Drogo, coming back to the living world. More than likely that Drogo returns to her, in the afterlife. Or at least, that is how I see it. I believe Fire Eater has a real nice write up, regarding Dany dying in childbirth.

*sigh*

If Mirr Maz Duur had went for a more traditional figure of speech and said "He'll rise again when pigs fly", this board would comb the books for signs of flying pigs (or Houses whose sigil pictures swine somehow), make up fancy theories with catapults and Pale Mare-infested pig carcasses used as a weapon, and we'd have a twenty-page thread discussing whether or not the boar that slew Robert was the Flying Pig.

Sometimes, a figure of speech is a figure of speech and not a prophecy.

*sigh*

If Mirr Maz Duur had went for a more traditional figure of speech and said "He'll rise again when pigs fly", this board would comb the books for signs of flying pigs (or Houses whose sigil pictures swine somehow), make up fancy theories with catapults and Pale Mare-infested pig carcasses used as a weapon, and we'd have a twenty-page thread discussing whether or not the boar that slew Robert was the Flying Pig.

Sometimes, a figure of speech is a figure of speech and not a prophecy.

I'm not saying that MMD meant it to be a prophecy, just that GRRM meant it to be one. Call it foreshadowing if you like.

At least 3 of the things from what MMD said seem to have happened in a the space of a couple of chapters, so there's evidence there, even if it's just GRRM messing with us.

the sun rising in the west and setting in the east could be Quentyn.
The seas going dry could be the Dothraki sea in autumn. when the ghost grass turns brown
The mountains blowing in the wind like leaves could be Gregor
Then, when she was following the stream back to Mereen she starts bleeding after eating strange berries. That could have been her losing Dario's baby
Then Drogo, named after her sun and stars returns from hunting and picks he up and they fly away

Archived