When Mountains Blow In The Wind

Northernmonkey

This is not a prophecy. MMD basically said "never".

MMD didn't mean it to be a prophecy, but it's clearly foreshadowing on GRRM's part. At least three of the things MMD says have happened, so it's clearly an inadvertent prophecy, even if it's just an easter egg for the readers.

Come on, people, everything about this is figurative, it's not like Drogo will come back to life.

Elio and Linda made a video about it

Drogo's death indicated the end of Dany's life as a traditional Khaleesi. Afterwards, she leads a (very) small khalasar, but strays more and more from the dothraki culture. Now, she might be imersed in that again. Maybe she will even marry Jhago (hope not), or become his lover, or whatever. I don't really know :) I might even be something completely unrelated to the Dothraki.

It will be rather literal, it's underwhelming any other way when overwhelming is the goal.

Drogo is Drogon and the return will look something like this indulgent little thought bubble.

We may ask what drew him back to the Dragonmont, for many have. Was the wounded dragon, with his half-healed broken wing, driven by some primal instinct to return to his birthplace, the smoking mountain where he had emerged from his egg? Or did he somehow sense the presence of King Aegon on the island, across long leagues and stormy seas, and fly there to rejoin his rider? Some go so far as to suggest that Sunfyre sensed Aegon's desperate need. But who can presume to know the heart of a dragon?
Drogon's heart is Drogo's, and when it comes Dany's need will be much greater than escaping from a shitty marriage or some Dothraki, this is epic end game stuff.

Here's MMD's prophecy:

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the East" said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

I think everyone agrees that the sun rising in the East and setting in the West is Quentyn's death, and that the seas going dry refers to the Dothraki Sea. The bit that it generally up for debate is the 'mountains blowing in the wind like leaves'. I think this conclusively refers to the Pyramids of Meereen being destroyed. Here's a passage from the end of ADWD:

It's not a prophecy though. She says it out of anger, out of malice and hatred to Daenerys and her Khalasar. She didn't really mean it.

I'm pretty sure, the words of Mirri Maz Dur are supposed to seem to mean "never", but are infact a prophecy.

So Dany will be able to bear a child again after the circumstances are fulfilled. I don't believe Drogo will come back, but somebody who will replace him. I don't believe Drogon is meant, but another husband or lover.

The mountain blowing in the wind refers to Gregor IMO. The rest of the prophesies didn't come true yet. The Sun is not Quentyn, and the seas are not the Dothraki Seas.

Maybe later the Dornish will sail East in army-strength. Then I would be willing to speak of the "Sun rising in the West", but not because of Quentyn.

MMD didn't mean it to be a prophecy, but it's clearly foreshadowing on GRRM's part. At least three of the things MMD says have happened, so it's clearly an inadvertent prophecy, even if it's just an easter egg for the readers.

Sorry to be blunt, but no. They haven't.

Fans have combed the books for events or happenings vaguely matching up to the wording of Mirri Maz Duur's outburst, found a few passages among several tens of thousands, and wishfully interpreted them in a way that aligns them with what they believe to be a prophecy.

A Martell travelling from west to east and dying there does hardly satisfy "the sun rises in the west and sets in the east". Hadn't it been for the Martell sigil, people would have been all over the Karstarks.

It it a major stretch to claim wiltering grass on the Dothraki plains to mean "the seas going dry". It's called autumn.

"Mountains blowing in the wind like leaves". Apart from the plural and the leaves thing, linking this to pyramids or to Clegane is still quite absurd. This passage also illustrates the confirmation bias at work here. This entire thread is dedicated to finding a passage matching up with it, just for the sake of "completing the prophecy".

And also, bleeding from *ahem* below there, doesn't necessarily mean her womb is quickening. It might be an infection, internal wounds or a dozen other medical phenomena. And there still is this entire "bearing a living child" thing.

Again, sorry to be blunt, but I don't buy it.

EDIT: Changed some wording.

^ Karstarks? Was that serious? People did not over analyze anything on the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, that's blatantly obvious, even if it was a red herring by grrm, its still blatantly obvious, there was no "combing of every passage" required.

Just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean its not true.

Sorry to be blunt

I've been reading ADWD again and I think it's pretty much a given that Dany can have kids again.

Here's MMD's prophecy:

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the East" said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

I think everyone agrees that the sun rising in the East and setting in the West is Quentyn's death, and that the seas going dry refers to the Dothraki Sea. The bit that it generally up for debate is the 'mountains blowing in the wind like leaves'. I think this conclusively refers to the Pyramids of Meereen being destroyed. Here's a passage from the end of ADWD:

Beneath her veils, the Green Grace sighed. “The peace that we worked so hard to forge flutters

like a leaf in an autumn wind. These are dire days. Death stalks our streets, riding the pale mare from

thrice-cursed Astapor. Dragons haunt the skies, feasting on the flesh of children. Hundreds are taking

ship, sailing for Yunkai, for Tolos, for Qarth, for any refuge that will have them. The pyramid of Hazkar

has collapsed into a smoking ruin, and many of that ancient line lie dead beneath its blackened stones.

So basically GRRM uses the phrase 'flutter like a leaf in an autumn wind' in the same paragraph that he talks about the pyramid being destroyed. That's got to be a hint right?

And that also means that every part of MMD's prophecy happens at roughly the same time, just before Dany has her miscarriage (or whatever it is). Is this case closed?

And also this paragraph is from the chapter that directly precedes the one where Dany starts bleeding, presumably meaning that she can have kids again.

Maybe Drogo returning is some sort of metaphorical thing. Maybe it just means Drogon.

I like it. GRRM is quite particular on his wording so I tend to believe that nothing is coincidence, even if MMD didn't mean it to be prophetic. It could just mean returning to Dothraki ways, or her becoming Drogon's rider as he was named after Drogo. And I agree that I don't think we were told of her bleeding for nothing. Nice catch!

Archived