hatching a dragon egg

Johnnyrocket

In the World book, it states that Targ babies had eggs put into their cradle that just hatched, and that dragon was theirs growing up. The only dragons that have hatched in the series is a matter of limitless speculation, but I just wanted to bring this up for discussion, does this mean that there are more than just one way for a dragon to hatch? Or is their something linear with the way Dany hatched her dragons and the way the early Targs hatched their dragons? It's definitely under the surface somewhere, but the World book didn't give much detail, and sort if left it as a simple "put the egg in the cradle" and then it hatches, with no magic involved. It's kinda weird that all it takes is being near a Targ infant, while Dany had her funeral pyre with mirri and Drogo as possible sacrifice that induced dragons hatching. I have tried to elaborate on this, but I'm stumped. Anybody else have any theories on this? It obviously seems possible that more dragons might be hatched in the future, who has the power to and under what circumstances will it happen? Seems weird to me that the Dance left dragons extinct, and the only dragon that isn't for sure dead is the Cannibal, who apparently ate dragon eggs. Was he just smuggling them away from Targ hands, knowing that his kind was on the verge of extinction? If so, there should be a cache of dragon eggs somewhere, not including the ones we know for sure exist. IE, the one Euron supposedly threw into the ocean, etc. I am baffled by the subject and I would love some input

Maybe there is a difference when the dragon eggs in question were living, viable things. Dany's eggs were already stone, so she needed the additional sacrifice - of MMD, her baby & Drogo - to bring them back to life again and make them viable.

Yeah, Dany's eggs were fossils, she needed extra magic in the form of a pyre.

I think the pyre is the same way the first Targaryens hatched their dragons to bond that dragon line to the Targ line. But then they all went extinct, so Dany had to start over with three 'new' eggs.

Just read the part in book one where Dany holds the egg to comfort herself after she hit Viserys, and it says specifically that she can feel the baby inside her reaching out to the egg. Got me thinking about the relationship between Targ babies and hatching eggs. Haven't had any insight but i suspect there's something there that'll seem obvious in hindsight years from now.

Yeah, Dany's eggs were fossils, she needed extra magic in the form of a pyre.

I think the pyre is the same way the first Targaryens hatched their dragons to bond that dragon line to the Targ line. But then they all went extinct, so Dany had to start over with three 'new' eggs.

Why would they need a pyre if they also presumably had living eggs? If the story about finding dragons just chillin in the volcanoes is true. I assume they sacrificed members of their own family/themselves to bond their blood to dragons, something along those lines. And also, you need the right drop of Targ blood to hatch/ride a dragon, which is the reason for the incest, and why Baratheons and Martells and fAegon are not going to be dragon riders.

Why would they need a pyre if they also presumably had living eggs? If the story about finding dragons just chillin in the volcanoes is true. I assume they sacrificed members of their own family/themselves to bond their blood to dragons, something along those lines. And also, you need the right drop of Targ blood to hatch/ride a dragon, which is the reason for the incest, and why Baratheons and Martells and fAegon are not going to be dragon riders.

This.

And I think it was Ran that said that proximity to dragons might have been similar to radiation. Big mistake, Dany, to hold that dragon egg close. Why not just swallow some thalidomide.

Anyway, I agree that those fossilized eggs might have needed some fire to help them hatch. Also that Dany might be starting a new line. But if she wants a viable baby she needs someone not only with Targ blood but the right Targ blood to partner her, and even then its a crapshoot. The line became too diluted with out marriages, and the Targs were down to a one in 3 chance even with two consecutive sister-brother immediate ancestors. Rhaegar and Viserys didn't have the right drop. Dany did.

This.

And I think it was Ran that said that proximity to dragons might have been similar to radiation. Big mistake, Dany, to hold that dragon egg close. Why not just swallow some thalidomide.

Anyway, I agree that those fossilized eggs might have needed some fire to help them hatch. Also that Dany might be starting a new line. But if she wants a viable baby she needs someone not only with Targ blood but the right Targ blood to partner her, and even then its a crapshoot. The line became too diluted with out marriages, and the Targs were down to a one in 3 chance even with two consecutive sister-brother immediate ancestors. Rhaegar and Viserys didn't have the right drop. Dany did.

I hadn't read about that suggestion until recently, but it makes a lot of sense. It just seems to fit with the whole, too much magic = corruption and bad things

Archived