How will Dany control her dragons?

John Doe

I think it is an interesting topic, as I think that "she blows a horn" would be too easy and no true control, because in this case the horn would control the dragons, not she herself.

Are we given any hints how the other Targaryens did it? Will she control all three dragons or just Drogon? Does it simply take more time to get used to her riding him/them?

Dany can control only a single dragon.

She doesn't need to ride all free, but they might still have some respect for her orders at least at least until finding there own riders. They let themselves be chained on a wall, after all, despite her being not their rider.

Well, respect might be the wrong word, but I hope you get what I mean.

I can imagine that Victarion will blow the horn and he won't die, thus they will able to tame the dragons easier.

Yeah, I think the horn might trigger a bond between the dragon and the tamer/master. But I doubt anyone who is not of valyrian origin can blow the horn, as appearently it burns everyone vulnerable to heat. Maybe a valyrian spell to prevent missuse?

Guys, didn't you remember what Moqorro told Victarion? It's not the person who blows the horn who controls the dragons, it's the person who owns the horn. Victarion can force a slave to blow the horn while Victarion owns it, and Bob's your uncle.

Besides, as Dany seemes to prove, the dragons seem to respond to good ol' fashion animal training techniques.

Guys, didn't you remember what Moqorro told Victarion? It's not the person who blows the horn who controls the dragons, it's the person who owns the horn. Victarion can force a slave to blow the horn while Victarion owns it, and Bob's your uncle.

Besides, as Dany seemes to prove, the dragons seem to respond to good ol' fashion animal training techniques.

Sounds like Euron's horn to me. Victarion just has it on loan. I'm not sure how thorough the horn is when deciding ownership, though.

Tooo bad all valyrian lawyers are probably dead.

But seriously, the horn must be claimed with blood, which pretty much implies Victarion has to kill Euron if the spell works like are made to believe. Maybe it can't change the ownership if the dragon is already claimed or the game changes once you have one with valyrian blood in it, while the others haven't.

I think that Dany could tell Victarion something like "You want me, but you are affraid to blow a horn?" and then Victarion blows it. And maybe due to the Azor Ahai thingy "salt and smoke"=ironborn who was healed with fire, so Victarion stays alive after blowing the horn.

I said it and I say it again: Victarion is Azhor Ahai. :P

She won't. She will control one dragon - the one she is riding. The loyalty of other two will depend on their riders. If Dany can control them, she will also control the dragons.

So far she did a good job controling the other two. Of course the bond to their riders will be stronger, though.

I think that Dany could tell Victarion something like "You want me, but you are affraid to blow a horn?" and then Victarion blows it. And maybe due to the Azor Ahai thingy "salt and smoke"=ironborn who was healed with fire, so Victarion stays alive after blowing the horn.

Very interesting. I was putting my money on Jon being Azhor Ahai, but Victarion seems a good bet, now that you mention it.

So far she did a good job controling the other two. Of course the bond to their riders will be stronger, though.

She controlled them because these are free dragons. The moment they are bonded with other people, the entire dynamics will change. TPATQ was very clear on the subject - dragon's loyalty first and foremost depends of the loyalty of its rider.

Very interesting. I was putting my money on Jon being Azhor Ahai, but Victarion seems a good bet, now that you mention it.

Also may there can be more Azor Ahais,coz as we saw in TWOIAF there are several names to him like Azor Ahai, Hyrkoon, Eldric Shadowchaser etc. so maybe not one single person is/will be the new Azor Ahai.

Also may there can be more Azor Ahais,coz as we saw in TWOIAF there are several names to him like Azor Ahai, Hyrkoon, Eldric Shadowchaser etc. so maybe not one single person is/will be the new Azor Ahai.

Plus, the dragon has three heads, which - I'm going out on a limb here - may mean there are three Azhor Ahais?

I think who ultimately controls a dragon is the dragon's choice. Maybe it's through blood (being a Targaryen or of Valyrian descent), but most likely through some sort of undeterminable "intimate connection" that a dragon feels towards a person. (I could reference wands in Harry Potter.) I theorize all of this without ignoring the importance of the horn. However, I feel that the horn produces an unintimate connection with a dragon, forcing it into dominance, neither allowing the connection to occur simbiotically nor with permission from a dragon. Like a potion to make someone fall in love, ultimately, the love is not real.

In the end, Victarion will, I think, regret trying to dominate a dragon.

Archived