The Mountain vs The Smiling Knight

Sir Bronn

I try to not get frustrated by these kinds of topics, but it really must be said.... context matters in order to make a reasonable judgment and without it it basically fall down to indecisive answers or people playing favorites. I'm sure that we can assume a certain skill to the Smiling Knight, what mentions he is given does not give us a yard stick to measure what we know. We go by a six inch ruler that only lists millimeters.

Smiling Knight, no contest. Dawn is the only reason Dayne was not the one killed that day.

Based on what? nothing suggests that that Dayne was pushed to his limit let alone only saved by SK's sword breaking and seeing as he let him fetch a new sword I don't see how you can say this

Smiling Knight had great skill and he was also a very strong man, it took Ser Arthur Dayne the most legendary Knight Of ASOIAF to kill him.........................I recon it is safe to assume that the smiling knight would kill Gregor Clegane in a duel

SK also crossed the sword with 16 years old Jaime and not only was'nt able to injury him or at least overwhelm the young opponent, he got held off

Then crossed the sword with Arthur and was basically dead at the first exchange, if Dayne did'nt give him a retry. Then he died at second exchange

Most of his reputation was about being mad/fierce/unpredictable... but aside the third quality, does not look what you need to beat (or survive) the Mountain

Based on what? nothing suggests that that Dayne was pushed to his limit let alone only saved by SK's sword breaking and seeing as he let him fetch a new sword I don't see how you can say this

Dayne could not finish off the SK until the guy's sword literally got to the point is was unusable. Had it been the other way around (SK with Dawn, Dayne with common steel), the SK would have won that fight. So skill wise, the guy is equal to Dayne. If Dawn is as light as VS, that means that Dayne was using less energy and was slower to tire. That would also give the SK greater stamina than Dayne, as he also needed to use more energy to get to the point that the sword broke.

Considering that Oberyn is not in the top of the list of fighters, and was able to defeat Gregor, I'm giving this one to the guy who took on the guy who was at the top for hours on end. Gregor tired after a short duration. The SK would destroy him, cool-sword or not.

Dayne could not finish off the SK until the guy's sword literally got to the point is was unusable. Had it been the other way around (SK with Dawn, Dayne with common steel), the SK would have won that fight. So skill wise, the guy is equal to Dayne. If Dawn is as light as VS, that means that Dayne was using less energy and was slower to tire. That would also give the SK greater stamina than Dayne, as he also needed to use more energy to get to the point that the sword broke.

Except he wasn't Dayne let him fetch a new sword and he still lost. Even by then he was wounded a dozen times while Dayne is never noted to have been wounded with any significance in their duel.

If Dayne had cut him down the moment SK's sword was useless you might have point

1- Dayne could not finish off the SK until the guy's sword literally got to the point is was unusable.

2- Had it been the other way around (SK with Dawn, Dayne with common steel), the SK would have won that fight.

3- So skill wise, the guy is equal to Dayne.

4- If Dawn is as light as VS, that means that Dayne was using less energy and was slower to tire. That would also give the SK greater stamina than Dayne, as he also needed to use more energy to get to the point that the sword broke.

5- Considering that Oberyn is not in the top of the list of fighters, and was able to defeat Gregor, I'm giving this one to the guy who took on the guy who was at the top for hours on end. Gregor tired after a short duration. The SK would destroy him, cool-sword or not.

1- The sword broke during the first exchange, so is not like Dayne was trying for hours. Second sword did'nt broke, so he basically finished it at the second exchange

2- no indication of that

3- Again, as above. Not a single indication of that. Only other exchange where we "see" the SK is with 16 years old, no magic sword Jaime. SK is'nt able to do anything to him and get even held off

4- Yes, Arthur have the superior weapon, and it help him to have a superior style too. GRRM pretty much confirm it saying that if was'nt for Dawn, Barristan (one of all time best) will be more or less equal to Dayne. But have the superior weapon don't exclude being the superior fighter too.

5- Oberyn actually IS in all current characters top10s of peoples that know what they talk about, and not only that, as kind of fighter, style and equipment he was the perfect match-up to fight The Mountain

Archived