Explanation of TV Stannis and hope for the future

Tyrell_like_Squirrel

Not every unsullied goes online to forum section filled with spoilers so....

But I do agree that many unsullied do see him like a good guy.

But many still dont like him because of misinformed perceptions about Stannis. Atleast the people who read the books have more legitimate reasons for not liking Stannis...you can actually have a proper conversation with them because they have all the facts. But not all of the facts have been presented to the show watchers.

It would take up too much time to show all the Stannis scenes from the books but I believe the show has done a decent job with what they've shown to give Stannis some depth and balance.

Does it matter that much if people like him? He's still a great character. I didn't like Tywin, but he was one of my favourite characters. In fiction it's surely more important that a character has the ability to hold the reader/viewer's attention rather than that they be likeable as people.

I'm another Unsullied who loves Stannis, btw. I also think he's hilarious.

In the early days I did have a few moments where I couldn't really be bothered with his scenes, because I wanted the show to concentate (even more so) on the Stark/Lannister, Littlefinger/Varys conflicts. I slightly resented Dani in season 1 for the same reasons - she was taking valuable time away from my favoured storylines. Renly too. They all grew on me over time, demonstrating that the show-runners know how to introduce and build up characters better than I do, as I would hope.

I can understand why people who have a particular fixed image of him from the books are annoyed by the show portrayal though, when I hear of the quite drastic changes that have been made. On the other hand, I've heard he wasn't that popular in the books either until later in the series.

I am new to this forum. Never been on a forum before. Read all the books and watched TV series so far (series first then books) and this is probably a stupid question but can someone please explain who/what the unsullied are, as they seem to be being referred to a group of people with certain opinions (not unsullied in the actual books). Just want to be clear so I can understand thread. Thanks

Does it matter that much if people like him? He's still a great character. I didn't like Tywin, but he was one of my favourite characters. In fiction it's surely more important that a character has the ability to hold the reader/viewer's attention rather than that they be likeable as people.

I agree but for some, it's really important that readers see their favorite character as they do. It shows they really understand the text. :rolleyes: You see this all over the General Book Discussion forum.

I'm another Unsullied who loves Stannis, btw. I also think he's hilarious.

Thanks for stating this!

I don't see Stannis as a good guy or a bad guy because he has Davos on one shoulder and Melisandre on the other.

This is true although I don't know if it means he's completely neutral.

This is true although I don't know if it means he's completely neutral.

Well he knows what the real problems are and since House Lannister is going on a downward spiral, how long can the Boltons really remain in power. And for the people who hate Dany, it wouldn't completely surprise me if in the Battle against the White Walkers, Stannis and Dany (if they are both still alive) will be on the same side.

Well he knows what the real problems are and since House Lannister is going on a downward spiral, how long can the Boltons really remain in power. And for the people who hate Dany, it wouldn't completely surprise me if in the Battle against the White Walkers, Stannis and Dany (if they are both still alive) will be on the same side.

I think the vision Dany sees of a man with blue eyes that has no shadow is Stannis and he was someone she needed to fight so I don't think they'll be on the same side. But of course, those prophecies were really hard to peg down.

I think the vision Dany sees of a man with blue eyes that has no shadow is Stannis and he was someone she needed to fight so I don't think they'll be on the same side. But of course, those prophecies were really hard to peg down.

True, but that was in the book. The problem is that the only significant vision Dany saw in the show was it snowing in the Throne Room with a ceiling destroyed by dragon fire because I guess the other visions either wouldn't have worked on screen or would have contained spoilers? I have no idea. Either way, Dany's storyline in Qarth was shit. Even Stannis's storyline in Season 3 was better than Qarth and he didn't even do much.

True, but that was in the book. The problem is that the only significant vision Dany saw in the show was it snowing in the Throne Room with a ceiling destroyed by dragon fire because I guess the other visions either wouldn't have worked on screen or would have contained spoilers?

Yes, the visions were different but the show is still based on the books and I doubt they would deviate with something so big as changing which side someone's on. (I know, there's Varys but let's see how things turn out in the book regarding him, Aegon and Dany.)

Anyway, this is going to be the most bizarre and unconventional comparison but it seems Stannis and Sansa were on a similar journey. Stannis is completely crushed by his defeat at Blackwater while Sansa is completely crushed by the fact that she can't escape King's Landing. When Stannis finally realizes what the real problem is (The White Walkers), he starts to become a more likable character because he will no longer appear weak sitting his ass in Dragonstone. When Sansa finally stops acting like she doesn't know shit, she starts to become a more likable character because it is a significant change. Stannis is now back in the game because of his arrival at the wall and Sansa is now learning how to play the game because she knows what Littlefinger wants and is starting to appear as a player herself rather than a pawn. Also, they have basically both have been humiliated and taken advantage of by everyone throughout their lives, you could even say that Tyrion shares some similarities with both characters. In Season 5, I think Stannis will actually become a more likable characters to the unsullied and same with Sansa because now they are actually in interesting positions. Did that even make any sense?

I don't think Stannis' problem was not being likable because he appeared weak at Dragonstone. I also don't think both Stannis and Sansa have been humiliated and taken advantage by everyone throughout their lives. And finally, I wish people would stop saying Stannis will become likable to the unsullied. He is liked by many of them already and I doubt season 5 is going to sway the majority of those that don't. Having said that, Stannis' character evolves throughout the series and we see different aspects of him in different books. In going to the Wall and defending the Watch we see some of his finest and that may sway some viewers as it swayed some readers. But we still see him doing more of the stuff he's disliked for as well so I'm not sure about this expectation that he'll suddenly be loved by all the unsullied. That hasn't happened with the book readers.

Agreed with OP.

Season 2 Stannis was very very good IMO but his character suffered especially in S3 because of the ASoS split in the show. If the show had the possibility to keep his ASoS material in one season and I know it was not possible timeline wise his character would be a lot more appreciated by only-show watchers. Besides Stannis divides opinions even amongst book readers.

In season 5 Stannis will interact with other characters, he will fight Bolton scum, he will get show favourite Jon Snow's respect. He will be liked so much that he's probably going to die at the end of the season lol it would only appropiate to kill him Game of Thrones style at his peak.

I don't think Stannis' problem was not being likable because he appeared weak at Dragonstone. I also don't think both Stannis and Sansa have been humiliated and taken advantage by everyone throughout their lives. And finally, I wish people would stop saying Stannis will become likable to the unsullied. He is liked by many of them already and I doubt season 5 is going to sway the majority of those that don't. Having said that, Stannis' character evolves throughout the series and we see different aspects of him in different books. In going to the Wall and defending the Watch we see some of his finest and that may sway some viewers as it swayed some readers. But we still see him doing more of the stuff he's disliked for as well so I'm not sure about this expectation that he'll suddenly be loved by all the unsullied. That hasn't happened with the book readers.

Well I just heard some people say that Dragonstone was never a really happening place. And I didn't say he will be loved by all of the unsullied, I just said that he'll become more of likeable character, but I get what you're saying. Before Stannis arrived at the wall in the books, I was in the middle about him. But I mean think about it, he has been taken advantage of by Robert and Renly. Robert barely ever gave Stannis credit for anything and Renly didn't even give up his position to support his older brother. Yes I get that the three of them aren't very close to begin with, but I think that most people of Westeros (not book readers) still feel like Stannis was no longer involved in the game until now. Yes we see Stannis evolve throughout the books, but in Season 3, he honestly was weak. He feels bad that he killed Renly, but Melisandre is still overpowering him. He listens to everything that she says and when Melisandre wants to sacrifice Gendry, Stannis immediately goes to Davos because he does not want to make the same mistake again killing his family. So we see that balance of good and evil within Stannis. And I actually think that Season 5 will sway more viewers to like Stannis because not only is he in a new location, but he is going to fight against the Boltons, who I would hope most people hate even for the Red Wedding. Although some didn't like Robb and Catelyn, the Boltons are still treasonous whores who stole the North when it really doesn't belong to them cuz they're a sack of shit. And it hasn't happened with all book readers, because he isn't the only character in the series.

Yes we see Stannis evolve throughout the books, but in Season 3, he honestly was weak. He feels bad that he killed Renly, but Melisandre is still overpowering him. He listens to everything that she says and when Melisandre wants to sacrifice Gendry, Stannis immediately goes to Davos because he does not want to make the same mistake again killing his family. So we see that balance of good and evil within Stannis.

The balance isn't the most important part. Both show and book Stannis go between Davos and Melisandre, but book-Stannis is like an iceberg, independent and almost immovable when it comes to his core values; it was nearly a thousand pages between Stannis bluntly refusing any talk of the sacrifice to him finally (presumably) yielding. Show Stannis isn't like that: he wants to go ahead, Melisandre tells him to wait, he waits, Davos tells him to test her, he tests her, 1/3 of the test works, he's back on board with Melisandre.

FWIW, I'm sure that his popularity will rise in season 5, if for no other reason than people liking characters who Do Shit, and he does a lot more in the North than he did at Dragonstone.

True, but that was in the book. The problem is that the only significant vision Dany saw in the show was it snowing in the Throne Room with a ceiling destroyed by dragon fire because I guess the other visions either wouldn't have worked on screen or would have contained spoilers? I have no idea. Either way, Dany's storyline in Qarth was shit. Even Stannis's storyline in Season 3 was better than Qarth and he didn't even do much.

budget pure and simple man. it's the most expensive tv show and they had to pick between visions and battle of blackwater.

before season 3: "it's okay they are going to fix him in season 3 by showing how conflicted he was about sacrificing Gendry!"

before season 4: "It's okay they are going to fix him in season 4 by showing how he decided to go to the wall!"

and now before season 5: "it's okay they are going to fix him in season 5 by showing his interactions with Jon!"

how much more of this do you people need to just admit to yourself "no, they are not going to fix anything"?

As usual, Stannis was hardly in the trailer i.e. not at all.

I have high hopes for him though. I mean, kinda. What's to come are some his best bits, and I did like his entrance and introduction to Jon. I really want it to be good.

As usual, Stannis was hardly in the trailer i.e. not at all.

I have high hopes for him though. I mean, kinda. What's to come are some his best bits, and I did like his entrance and introduction to Jon. I really want it to be good.

Well they showed his back. It's actually pretty similar to his appearance in the first trailer of the second season.

before season 3: "it's okay they are going to fix him in season 3 by showing how conflicted he was about sacrificing Gendry!"

before season 4: "It's okay they are going to fix him in season 4 by showing how he decided to go to the wall!"

and now before season 5: "it's okay they are going to fix him in season 5 by showing his interactions with Jon!"

how much more of this do you people need to just admit to yourself "no, they are not going to fix anything"?

Enosh, Crusher of Dreams.

Archived