Will Khal Drogo return?

MotherOfPuppy

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur, "When the seas go dry and the mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

That is not "never", right? And Dany keeps remembering these words throughout ADWD. And in her last chapter she gets her period:

"She was bleeding, but it was only woman’s blood. The moon is still a crescent, though. How can that be? She tried to remember the last time she had bled. The last full moon? The one before? The one before that? No, it cannot have been so long as that."

The sun rising in the west and so forth might be metaphorical, since prophesies don't always seem to be meant literally. "The sun rising in the west" might be House Martell, preparing to participate in the war for the Iron Throne. Not sure about the seas going dry and mountains blowing in the wind, though the latter might have something to do with the Mountain (or it might relate to something else). Menstruation is, in a way, a sign of fertility. And Daenerys doesn't remember the last time it happened, which implies that there was a break. And only a few pages after that, she recalls the curse/prophecy again: "Bells, Dany thought, smiling, remembering Khal Drogo, her sun-and-stars, and the bells he braided into his hair. When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, when the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves, when my womb quickens again and I bear a living child, Khal Drogo will return to me."

So... Is there a chance that Khal Drogo will return? Or am I the only one who thinks that might happen?

Generally accepted theories:

The sun rising in the east and setting in the west - Quentyn Martell came from the west and died in the east.

When the seas go dry - The Dothraki sea, where Dany is now. It is now autumn and the Dothraki sea is turning brown and drying up.

More speculative:

The mountains blow in the wind like leaves - The dragons distruction of the pyramids, or volcanoes somewhere like the Shadow lands around Asshai or the Valyrian peninsular.

I expect MMD intended it as a very poetic, flowery way of saying "eff you" to Dany. However, I think the things she mentioned are actually coming to pass. I expect everything in the prophecy will happen, but rather than Drogo returning we will have something unexpected (which seems fitting for an accidental prophecy).

Dany will die in childbirth, giving birth to a living child.

The sun is Quentyn, the Sea could be the DS or the whole second bit can be about a massive volcanic eruption that's coming up (start of the second Long Night from all the ash?) or just about how her dragons will cause havoc everywhere.

Then she'll get pregnant and deliver a child.

She'll die, and the last thing she sees will be Drogo, "returning" for her, so they can ride through the Nightlands forever.

[/tiny violins]

Dany will die in childbirth, giving birth to a living child.

The sun is Quentyn, the Sea could be the DS or the whole second bit can be about a massive volcanic eruption that's coming up (start of the second Long Night from all the ash?) or just about how her dragons will cause havoc everywhere.

Then she'll get pregnant and deliver a child.

She'll die, and the last thing she sees will be Drogo, "returning" for her, so they can ride through the Nightlands forever.

[/tiny violins]

:agree:

Some other theories out there are that the mountain is Gregor Clegane's demise.

And that Drogon is Drogo Reborn.

Basically anybody can make something fit this so that it will be a prophecy fulfilled.

But I too think that it is just MMD just being malicious.

Archived