Do we think Yara will return in Season 5? [Book Spoilers]

Udvarnoky

Pretty weird. My guess would be that he might have been gathering more troops before he left.

Maybe D&D originally planned to switch places between the Dreadfort and Deepwood Motte in the show, but changed it after learning the outline of the story from George?

They probably just wanted to setup a cool action scene in S4 that they ended up cutting nearly all the time and money on. They would also have the byproduct of a Reek/Yara interaction to show the viewer "Theon" was dead.

Yara will likely return to Pyke, reestablish Balon for a scene, and return to DWM and getting captured by Stannis. Other arcs are a possibility, but they should want to get around to dealing with Balon considering that other arc's in the show's timeline are finally syncing up properly to allow it to happen.

Yara doesn't have to go home for Balon to die.

Considering we haven't seen Balon since 3.10, he needs to have a reestablishment scene before his death for it to be even somewhat meaningful. Without Yara, there is no one for him to share a scene except a random ironborn, and a random ironborn isn't going to make a connection for viewers to go "oh hey, I remember that guy." Yara provides this.

That's true to the book though, where he dies alone and unceremoniously. His death could even happen off-screen, so long as it happens at some point. Though of course I'd prefer it be on-screen. But I don't see the value (or timeline logic) in having Yara return all the way back around an entire continent for the purpose of a final scene with dad only to return North again.

Keeping Balon alive this long is a pretty good excuse to write out the Kingsmoot, since the Seastone Chair never being vacated precludes the whole question of who will seat it. The reason killing Balon is (or seems) necessary is because of Mel's prophecy, but there's no ticking clock on that, really.

It was prophesied in the show as well. That said, I agree that it would be better to show it. There's no reason not to, and it'd be nice to give Patrick Malahide a proper send off.

If I wasn't so sure they'll be doing Cersei's prophecy instead, I'd be hoping for Balon's death for the season's cold open.

If I wasn't so sure they'll be doing Cersei's prophecy instead, I'd be hoping for Balon's death for the season's cold open.

If I recall correctly Young Cersei was cast to appear in more than 1 episode. Only if they start with the prophecy for the cold open, but finish it later when the plot requires it, but I don't see how that would be interesting.

^I still believe it's just for the one episode.

BTW, more on topic, Gemma Whelan's Spotlight CV says "multiple seasons, ongoing" in brackets besides the name "Yara Greyjoy". It says this under 2014, so I guess that could mean for her s4 appearance or it could mean for when she shot s5.

(Her CV's said "multiple seasons, ongoing" for years now BUT I do believe the 2014 listing is new...hopefully someone on this forum checked this CV more recently than I have and can confirm this).

There won't be a Kingsmoot at all since there will be no Aeron/Victarion on the show. Euron will just sit the Seastone Chair after Balon dies/is murdered without a fight in S6 - Theon is not fit to rule, Yara will be a captive and besides a woman so it's easy to see why the Ironborn will support him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Dreadfort sequence had a few purposes in my opinion

- As somebody have stated it reminds us that Yara exists so that she doesn't just reappear after one or two seasons without having done anything.

- It shows just how lost Theon is. This will make the later arc where he recovers his identity much stronger.

Moreover:

We have now learned from the bluray commentary to episode 406 that the reason Yara retreats from the Dreadfort is not that she is scared of the fight or of the dogs, but that she realizes that she is the sole heir to the Iron Islands. So she decides to leave to take on her new role instead of dying in the Dreadfort, and Ramsay lets her since he has no reason to risk the fight either. It is then stated that the realization that she is the sole heir will have a major influence on her decision on what to do next.

I think this implies that there will be neither Euron nor Victarion, because they are potential heirs too. What will Yara do next?

Possibility 1: She is reintegrated into the Asha role from the books and ends up a captive of Stannis. This is very possible, but slightly unsatisfactory. Why would she decide to go to Deepwood Motte (or any other place where she could get captured)? Unless her uncles exist, she has no reason to, and it doesn't make sense as a type of "I am the heir of the Iron Islands now!" type of action. We don't know the future purpose of Asha in the story. It seems like a part of it is to help Theon find his identity again (though it started without her), but Yara was already unable to do that. The big unknown here is if Asha fulfills some function in that storyline that Theon can't fulfill on his own.

Possibility 2: She takes on a Victarion type of role. Her father dies and she realizes that if she doesn't do anything before somebody consolidates the Iron Throne the Iron Islands will just be crushed again like they did in their last rebellion. So she sets out with the Iron Fleet to steal a dragon. This way a major storyline from the books is kept without introducing new characters. I would find it awsome if we got a half crazed Yara worshipping an amalgamation of the Drowned God and Rhollor sailing into Slavers Bay at the end of the season, but I don't really know if they could make it work. They have probably played her character a little too sensible so far.

Possibility 3: She does something completely different.

Moreover:

We have now learned from the bluray commentary to episode 406 that the reason Yara retreats from the Dreadfort is not that she is scared of the fight or of the dogs, but that she realizes that she is the sole heir to the Iron Islands. So she decides to leave to take on her new role instead of dying in the Dreadfort, and Ramsay lets her since he has no reason to risk the fight either. It is then stated that the realization that she is the sole heir will have a major influence on her decision on what to do next.

Hmmm. They're assuming we have a sixth sense that allows us to read the character's minds.

I think Asha's story is tied with Theon from now on, so maybe she goes to Deepwood to secure the one castle they still have in the North and then she gets captured by Stannis. Long long journey though.

Or maybe she just goes back to the Isles and from her we can finally understand why Balon had given up the North.

Lack of Greyjoys are the one thing that really upsets me as far as major changes/character cuts go. The chance is very low, but I hope to see them Season 6. At least Euron.

I really hope we do get to see Yara again though, even though that horrible Dreadford scene still gives me nightmares.

Archived