Do we think Yara will return in Season 5? [Book Spoilers]

Udvarnoky

IMDB is never trustworthy about which particular episodes certain characters appear in until the episodes have aired.

I don't think that the Dreadfort sequence was as bad as many people make it out to be. The main problem is perhaps that it did not convey to most watchers what it was supposed to convey. I.e. she wasn't actually scared of the dogs, she just didn't have any reason to be there anymore.

The Dreadfort sequence had a few purposes in my opinion

- As somebody have stated it reminds us that Yara exists so that she doesn't just reappear after one or two seasons without having done anything.

- It shows just how lost Theon is. This will make the later arc where he recovers his identity much stronger.

Moreover:

We have now learned from the bluray commentary to episode 406 that the reason Yara retreats from the Dreadfort is not that she is scared of the fight or of the dogs, but that she realizes that she is the sole heir to the Iron Islands. So she decides to leave to take on her new role instead of dying in the Dreadfort, and Ramsay lets her since he has no reason to risk the fight either. It is then stated that the realization that she is the sole heir will have a major influence on her decision on what to do next.

I think this implies that there will be neither Euron nor Victarion, because they are potential heirs too. What will Yara do next?

Possibility 1: She is reintegrated into the Asha role from the books and ends up a captive of Stannis. This is very possible, but slightly unsatisfactory. Why would she decide to go to Deepwood Motte (or any other place where she could get captured)? Unless her uncles exist, she has no reason to, and it doesn't make sense as a type of "I am the heir of the Iron Islands now!" type of action. We don't know the future purpose of Asha in the story. It seems like a part of it is to help Theon find his identity again (though it started without her), but Yara was already unable to do that. The big unknown here is if Asha fulfills some function in that storyline that Theon can't fulfill on his own.

Possibility 2: She takes on a Victarion type of role. Her father dies and she realizes that if she doesn't do anything before somebody consolidates the Iron Throne the Iron Islands will just be crushed again like they did in their last rebellion. So she sets out with the Iron Fleet to steal a dragon. This way a major storyline from the books is kept without introducing new characters. I would find it awsome if we got a half crazed Yara worshipping an amalgamation of the Drowned God and Rhollor sailing into Slavers Bay at the end of the season, but I don't really know if they could make it work. They have probably played her character a little too sensible so far.

Possibility 3: She does something completely different.

Great ideas!

I've been thinking for a while that Yara is going to return home, her dad will die, and then she'll be closed out of the Iron Island because she's a woman.

Her disgust at her treatment will drive her in a new direction, toward Dany. She'll team up with her, rather than try and nab a dragon- adding a pirate captain to Dany's fleet, and another strong female character for Dany's clan.

I don't think that the Dreadfort sequence was as bad as many people make it out to be. The main problem is perhaps that it did not convey to most watchers what it was supposed to convey. I.e. she wasn't actually scared of the dogs, she just didn't have any reason to be there anymore.

It's not bad now that we know these are the reasons. But the scene was edited and shortened so much that I don't think many people understood what it was supposed to understand.

This is a sad topic to me. I'm not even one of those people moaning out for the Greyjoy Uncle's and the Kingsmoot, however I do love Asha/Yara, and especially her chapters in ADWD, so of course I want to see her in Season 5. However, I don't know that we will. She very well could be, but nothing in prior season can be used to support whether she will or won't. See I believe D&D don't actually know what they are doing with her at all, and by that I mean from Season to Season. I think when they wrote the Season 3 finale, they had one idea in mind. When they and Cogman wrote the Dreadfort sequence for 406, they had already changed their plans I think, and were still none the wiser to what any of it would mean for season 5. I think we got that sequence, because 1) They wanted another strong moment to illustrate just how powerful the transformation from Theon to Reek was, how there was no Theon left, and that could then transition perfectly into set up for Ramsay asking Reek to play the part of "Theon Greyjoy" and 2) because they already had worked in the set up of having Asha/Yara set sail on a rescue mission, and then had to pay that off.

Rubbish. How do 3 people fight multiple dogs AND multiple people at the same time? I mean, everyone's upset that over a dozen people were able to capture a lone direwolf but can't understand 3 people running away for a dozen men and 4-5 dogs? Does that make sense?

No, it doesn't. How? Because Asha is a badass and she took the 50 best killers of the Iron Islands?

And the way the scene was edited, it was implied she fled because of the dogs.

Anyway, now we know what the scene was supposed to be. Too bad the production thought the viewers had some kind of extrasensory perception to realise that by only looking at the eyes of the characters.

Sounds like there's a debate about whether the Dreadfort assault scene was the victim of bad staging or bad editing (which left the effect of bad staging).

We have no way of knowing for sure. We know from the Season 4 trailer that there was originally more to the Ramsay/Myranda sex scene, but there's no evidence that any of the material we're actually arguing about was hacked up.

We have no way of knowing for sure. We know from the Season 4 trailer that there was originally more to the Ramsay/Myranda sex scene, but there's no evidence that any of the material we're actually arguing about was hacked up.

Of course, but actually, it raises this question: how would we know about Asha's reasons or Ramsay's for that matter, the way the scene was presented? There was definitely, at least, one dialogue between the two characters. Unless you want me to keep with the extrasensory perception theory.

Moreover:

We have now learned from the bluray commentary to episode 406 that the reason Yara retreats from the Dreadfort is not that she is scared of the fight or of the dogs, but that she realizes that she is the sole heir to the Iron Islands. So she decides to leave to take on her new role instead of dying in the Dreadfort, and Ramsay lets her since he has no reason to risk the fight either. It is then stated that the realization that she is the sole heir will have a major influence on her decision on what to do next.

That's alright, I just hope they don't do this in future seasons. Also, since she realised that, she's coming back for sure to carry the Ironborn's plot in the show (whatever that may be), and she still holds Deepwood Motte.

"Ramsay lets her since he has no reason to risk the fight either."

I don't understand this, why would he let the daughter of Balon Greyjoy go? He's not afraid of anything, and is a psychopath.

I'm not saying that's not the answer given, but I just don't see Ramsay saying "yeah fuck it, leave"

This is a sad topic to me. I'm not even one of those people moaning out for the Greyjoy Uncle's and the Kingsmoot, however I do love Asha/Yara, and especially her chapters in ADWD, so of course I want to see her in Season 5. However, I don't know that we will. She very well could be, but nothing in prior season can be used to support whether she will or won't. See I believe D&D don't actually know what they are doing with her at all, and by that I mean from Season to Season. I think when they wrote the Season 3 finale, they had one idea in mind. When they and Cogman wrote the Dreadfort sequence for 406, they had already changed their plans I think, and were still none the wiser to what any of it would mean for season 5. I think we got that sequence, because 1) They wanted another strong moment to illustrate just how powerful the transformation from Theon to Reek was, how there was no Theon left, and that could then transition perfectly into set up for Ramsay asking Reek to play the part of "Theon Greyjoy" and 2) because they already had worked in the set up of having Asha/Yara set sail on a rescue mission, and then had to pay that off.

Yeah I agree with all of this! Asha's ADWD material is so good. I understand that it cant be the same on the show (not least because no Justin Massey or Alysane Mormont) but I really do hope they give her something of something of substance by the end of S5. She's never going to be a main character but she's a pretty great character.

No, it doesn't. How? Because Asha is a badass and she took the 50 best killers of the Iron Islands?

And the way the scene was edited, it was implied she fled because of the dogs.

Anyway, now we know what the scene was supposed to be. Too bad the production thought the viewers had some kind of extrasensory perception to realise that by only looking at the eyes of the characters.

She didn't take all 50 with her in that room. By the point Ramsay was going to release the dogs she was left with maybe 2 other people. And more of Ramsay's men were about to come and surround them. The dogs just pretty much meant they had no chance at all. I never took to mean she was afraid of dogs. Only that that compounded her predicament. I got all that without knowing what the scene was supposed to be.

I agree that scene was bad and disappointing, because of the anticipation from the season 3 finale. But it was never implied she was scared of dogs, that is ridiculous. Someone said it here after the episode and now this interpretation have its own life, but that does not make it true. I doubt that less fanatic viewers who dont come on fansites and are not infuenced by them think she run from there because she was scared of dogs.

Archived