Season 5: Davos

Ser Fingerbones

One of the recently unveiled pictures from S5 show Jon Snow talking to Stannis with Davos standing vigilante nearby. This is most likely in episode one or two however so it doesn't reveal much about what Davos'll be getting up to.

My bet at the moment is on Davos marching with Stannis. Otherwise, there'll be no characters in that arc for people to root for (until the Greyjoys come along) seeing as the show has painted Stannis as a boring, villainous character. Perhaps when Asha/Theon come along he'll be tempted to go find the youngest wolf, if that's happening at all.

Anyway, I hope we get a Jon/Davos scene. That's an interaction I've always wanted to see in the books.

In the show, Jon knows his brother Bran is alive, but I'm not sure about Rickon. I could see Stannis sending Davos to look for Rickon as a way to "pay Jon back" for any help he gives regarding armies + loyalty in the North.

Conversely, Davos could go (again) to Essos to try to dig up a few armies.

In the show, Jon knows his brother Bran is alive, but I'm not sure about Rickon. I could see Stannis sending Davos to look for Rickon as a way to "pay Jon back" for any help he gives regarding armies + loyalty in the North.

He could make the assumption that Rickon's alive based on Tormund's and Sam's information. Jon and Tormund saw Summer and Shaggydog at the windmill but Sam saw only Summer at the Nightfort, and Tormund can confirn that his band didn't kill Shaggydog.

He could make the assumption that Rickon's alive based on Tormund's and Sam's information. Jon and Tormund saw Summer and Shaggydog at the windmill but Sam saw only Summer at the Nightfort, and Tormund can confirn that his band didn't kill Shaggydog.

This sounds so lovely, that it's probably not likely! :lol: If you think this has a happy ending, blahblahblah.

I suppose since we're out of Davos material (if the Wyman plot is not replaced with something similar, e.g. the Umbers, who are bribed by the crown for the release of the [absent/missing] Greatjon) we'll get invented stuff, or spoiled :dunno:

This sounds so lovely, that it's probably not likely! :lol: If you think this has a happy ending, blahblahblah.

I suppose since we're out of Davos material (if the Wyman plot is not replaced with something similar, e.g. the Umbers, who are bribed by the crown for the release of the [absent/missing] Greatjon) we'll get invented stuff, or spoiled :dunno:

My guess is that Jon tells his assumptions about Rickon to Stannis and/or Davos and/or advises Stannis to send Davos to the Last Hearth to win the Umbers over. Either way I definitely think that Davos will go after Rickon.

If this happens we can definitely expect some Arya/Davos dramatic irony scenes (though I imagine they'll be doing this with Sam already.) Though it seems unlikely that Davos will be sent to Braavos. They did that lasr season and the IB are already supporting Stannis (or atleast hedging their bets with him.) No need for Davos to go over there again. Unless he goes to buy sellswords, but I don't really see the point. It'd be more interesting to keep him with Stannis or Jon or the Umbers/Manderlys.

If this happens we can definitely expect some Arya/Davos dramatic irony scenes (though I imagine they'll be doing this with Sam already.) Though it seems unlikely that Davos will be sent to Braavos. They did that lasr season and the IB are already supporting Stannis (or atleast hedging their bets with him.) No need for Davos to go over there again. Unless he goes to buy sellswords, but I don't really see the point. It'd be more interesting to keep him with Stannis or Jon or the Umbers/Manderlys.

Yeah, I was referring to getting sellswords, but I agree it'd be more interesting to see him go after Rickon. Again, without knowing the significance of Davos's journey to Skagos in the books, it's hard to predict.

I do think it's a good possibility to have Davos replace Justin Massey because we also don't know what interactions he has in Braavos. It also seems unlikely that Sam gets sent to Braavos (there's no baby to hide from Mel, and it could be that Aemon dies at the Wall). So instead, in order to get interactions between Arya and another character (I'm not counting Meryn Fuckin' Trant from the Mercy chapter) she could run into Davos. All speculative, clearly :)

If Sam is sent away by Jon to get trained at the citadel, I could see him leaving at the end of the season, and just being there at the beginning of season 6, but it also seems like they are cutting that storyline. Jaqen is supposedly the face that the Kindly Man puts on for Arya (read that somewhere, don't know if it's reliable).

Anyhow, all that to say that Davos is probably most likely to go after Rickon, but may also be used as someone to "fill in for" another character who's been cut.

Let's remember that The Wall storyarc from book 3 is not over yet. We still miss the election of the Lord Commander, something already established in season 4. So not sending Davos to Eastwatch was a fortunate choice, if not, we wouldnt see him until that storyarc is finished (although I always thought that Davos not meeting Jon had always a reason further in the books, maybe Jon not recognizing Davos will lead to a struggle for the Onion Knight in regard of legitimizing Rickon) . I also do not think Davos will replace Justin Massey. In IMDB, a "Baratheon General" has already been cast credited for episodes 9 and 10 (along with a big BIG surprise, check if you do not fear spoilers: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3866862/?ref_=ttfc_ql). So I think this Baratheon General will take the place of Justin Massey.

I like the Theon-telling-Stannis theory. I can imagine Stannis sending Davos to find Rickon in some Holmesian mission, finding a major clue in episode 10. But I think the Sam-Davos theory is way more plausible. The actor who portrays Sam already stated in an interview that Sam and Davos will have a lot of screentime together.

I was just re-watching season 2 over the weekend and correct me if i'm wrong but when Theon is doing his pump speech(episode 10) to the Iron born lot he has at Winterfell. He begins to name names in his speech and one of the names he says is "Wex" I'm not sure how the show would tie this together as the books do with Manderly and Davos but they could have this "Wex" at DeepWood Motte as a priosner.

Yara captures the Iron Borns who betrayed Theon perhaps? I think show Stannis is going to go there at some point, during one of the season 5 promos HBO has, It has House Stark, Lannister, Baretheon thanking you for your support and the Stannis one shows a blurring wooded and snowing background with blood on his face.

Davos is nearly impossible to speculate on other than following the White Harbor plot in some way, due to missing information on what happens to him after he departs white harbor. He goes AWOL a third of the way into the book. We're practically missing the entire book of Davos' arc because it takes place off page.

Archived