The (Unofficial) Official Stannis Baratheon Appreciation Thread

Reynestorm

Stannis, fan of honesty. Good men like Jon Arryn,Ned,and Davos support him. He also a foe of slimeballs.Unlike Cersei, he has a well adjusted first born, who is smart and not scare of giants. Him, not Renly, promise Cat justice for Ned.If Tyrion was his son and still marry Tysha, she would not been put through the crap that Tywin order done to her.

I hate Stannis he is the worst claimant

So go to one of the many Stannis bashing threads and stay there. Fuck, it's what every character appreciating thread turns into a flame war or something. Just go away. This is an excellent forum that doesn't mind necromancy, so even if the last go at Stannis was a year ago, pull up that thread and post.

Stannis is the funniest character in the books. That he is considered utterly without humour says a lot about how unsophisticated Westerosi culture is - he's so dry he can dry up the Blackwater Rush with one well-timed putdown, but because he IS so dry and flat, no one realises when he's joking. It's like they can't tell a joke unless someone is waving their arms about and using their "joke voice".

There's a great line in Umberto Echo's "The Name of the Rose" about English humour versus German humour (I paraphrase)... How the Germans make it obvious they're telling a joke and laugh if they think something is funny; the English are dry, very even and they laugh when they're uncomfortable rather than in response to well set out jokes. So one side fundamentally misunderstands the other.

That made me think of why everyone in the books says Stannis is humourless. Very few characters actually have a sophisticated sense of humour - Jon is one of them, and he and Stannis get on like a house on fire. "The boy commander agrees. How fortunate." ... "Do I need to make you swear on a tree?"

My hand hurts now from too much Stanfapping, but he's just so great. Swoon.

I shall bring justice to Westeros. A thing Ser Axell understands as little as he does war. Claw Isle would gain me naught... and it was evil, just as you said. Celtigar must pay the traitor's price himself, in his own person. And when I come into my kingdom, he shall. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that.[22]

– Stannis, to Davos Seaworth

:)

Your brothers will not like it, no more than your father's lords, but I mean to allow the wildlings through the Wall... those who will swear me their fealty, pledge to keep the king's peace and the king's laws, and take the Lord of Light as their god. Even the giants, if those great knees of theirs can bend. I will settle them on the Gift, once I have wrested it away from your new Lord Commander. When the cold winds rise, we shall live or die together. It is time we made alliance against our common foe.[25]

– Stannis, to Jon Snow

We all know what my brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt. [35]

– Stannis, to his bannermen

In truth, the young lord commander and her king had more in common than either one would ever be willing to admit. Stannis had been a younger son living in the shadow of his elder brother, just as Jon Snow, bastard-born, had always been eclipsed by his trueborn sibling, the fallen hero men had called the Young Wolf. Both men were unbelievers by nature, mistrustful, suspicious. The only gods they truly worshipped were honor and duty.[31]

Melisandre

This is one of my favourite moments in ASOIAF

“For your onions and fish, I made you a knight once. For this, I am of a mind to raise you to
lord.”
This? Davos was lost. “I am content to be your knight, Your Grace. I would not know how to
begin being lordly.”
“Good. To be lordly is to be false. I have learned that lesson hard. Now, kneel. Your king
commands.”
Davos knelt, and Stannis drew his longsword. Lightbringer, Melisandre had named it; the red
sword of heroes, drawn from the fires where the seven gods were consumed. The room seemed
to grow brighter as the blade slid from its scabbard. The steel had a glow to it; now orange, now
yellow, now red. The air shimmered around it, and no jewel had ever sparkled so brilliantly. But
when Stannis touched it to Davos’s shoulder, it felt no different than any other longsword. “Ser
Davos of House Seaworth,” the king said, “are you my true and honest liege man, now and
forever?”
“I am, Your Grace.”
“And do you swear to serve me loyally all your days, to give me honest counsel and swift
obedience, to defend my rights and my realm against all foes in battles great and small, to protect
my people and punish my enemies?”
“I do, Your Grace.”
“Then rise again, Davos Seaworth, and rise as Lord of the Rainwood, Admiral of the Narrow
Sea, and Hand of the King.”
For a moment Davos was too stunned to move. I woke this morning in his dungeon. “Your
Grace, you cannot... I am no fit man to be a King’s Hand.”
“There is no man fitter.” Stannis sheathed Lightbringer, gave Davos his hand, and pulled him to
his feet.
“I am lowborn,” Davos reminded him. “An upjumped smuggler. Your lords will never obey
me.”
“Then we will make new lords.”
“But... I cannot read... nor write...
“Maester Pylos can read for you. As to writing, my last Hand wrote the head off his shoulders.
All I ask of you are the things you’ve always given me. Honesty. Loyalty. Service.”

Stannis is the funniest character in the books. That he is considered utterly without humour says a lot about how unsophisticated Westerosi culture is - he's so dry he can dry up the Blackwater Rush with one well-timed putdown, but because he IS so dry and flat, no one realises when he's joking. It's like they can't tell a joke unless someone is waving their arms about and using their "joke voice".

Not for nothing but I really do think Stannis never really intends to be funny, he just says whatever he thinks without any regard, and it ends up being hilarious to whoevers not on the receiving end of it, which makes him even better honestly. He's like the Chris Hansen of Westeros.

Also I've said this like a million times but this thread makes me miss E-Ro even more.

Archived