George in Hamburg

Lord Varys

I´ve read, NDR will be streaming the event. Does anyone know more about it?

I hope everyone that goes has great fun :).

I think that may have changed. Per the "Upcoming Appearances..." Posted in the Latest News section of Westeros.org:

Despite early reports that this event would be livestreamed, this event is apparently not being streamed at all. It’s not impossible there’ll be an after-the-fact video from the event (as there have been with a number of GRRM’s public speaking events), but we’ve no information as yet whether that will be the case.

I think that may have changed. Per the "Upcoming Appearances..." Posted in the Latest News section of Westeros.org:

Despite early reports that this event would be livestreamed, this event is apparently not being streamed at all. It’s not impossible there’ll be an after-the-fact video from the event (as there have been with a number of GRRM’s public speaking events), but we’ve no information as yet whether that will be the case.

Thank you Helena. Then I´m crossing fingers for the after-the-fact video. :)

I think the video will be later in the "Mediathek".

Probably. Have fun at the event your grace :).

To those who attended, a small question, if you can still remember, that is..

In the sample chapter that had been posted on GRRM's website, it was stated that

It had been Doran who had acted after Oberyn's duel against Yronwood.

Can anyone who was there remember whether that is indeed still the case? That it had been Doran, and not his mother?

Some people literally started talking behind me at that moment, so I didn't hear that exactly... But some folks seemed to have recorded the whole reading, maybe they shared it somewhere...

edit: As mentioned in the other thread, he read the chapter that has appeared on his website a few months ago. Found it again http://archive.is/2PS7R I do not know about any changes so... I have only recorded the beginning and can't compare it...

A poster in tWoW subforum claimed that after the reading, GRRM said that he still needed 480 manuscript pages to complete tWoW. Could the posters that attended be so kind as to confirm or debunk that claim? :)

GRRM said a the end of the reading that he needs 480 manuscript pages to "have a book".

Hm, I understood that he needs this number of pages to get a book, not the book...

An average book should be about 500 pages, but this doesn't necessarily apply to the ASOIAF book series.

But that's just what I got from this statement...

It is late now in Germany and I am finally tired and not overwhelmed anymore, might think about that more tomorrow ;)

After he finished reading the chapter he said "So that was 18 manuscript pages. I only need to write another 1482 and I have a book" so that was no cmt on how far into TWOW he is, only on how big his books are in general

After he finished reading the chapter he said "So that was 18 manuscript pages. I only need to write another 1482 and I have a book" so that was no cmt on how far into TWOW he is, only on how big his books are in general

I also thought that it were more than 480 pages, but I didn't hear it correctly... That makes more sense, doesn't it?

I have mixed feelings about the event. What was really annoying was the moderator always translating George's answers into german. I know some people who attended probably dont have propper english skills but still... its hard to get a good conversation going when George always has to wait for the guy to translate his answers. Apart from that the moderator asked a lot of questions that George answered before at some other point. Of course he has to ask some basic questions because not every one of the nearly 3000 people in the audience regularly watches interviews with George but still.... as a moderator and journalist you should try to get something new out of the guy and dont simply ask questions whose answers you already know just because you know it works. And by "something new" I DONT mean information about the upcoming books I simply mean asking stuff that hasnt been or hardly been asked before. This would also make it a lot more fun for George as well and that would result in a better conversation... well if it wasn't interrupted by the translation :D

It was still good though, it was great to see George in person and at some points here and there he said some stuff I havent heard him talk about before.

They had a pretty interesting conversation about the life of future generations agreeing that in the 50's everyone was convinced that their children would have better lifes than them and that their grandchildren would have even better lifes whereas nowadays most people think that their children actually wont have a better life than themselves. That was actually one of my highlights.

Oh and also Sibel Kekili (who plays Shae in the show) was there as well which was pretty cool

"Es gibt da diese Figur, von der ich immer wusste, dass sie sterben wird, vom Moment ihrer Einführung an war sie dem Tod geweiht. Aber ich wusste nicht, wie sie sterben würde. Seit gestern Abend weiß ich es. Vielleicht lag es an Hamburg, keine Ahnung."

http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/literatur/game-of-thrones-autor-george-r-r-martin-in-deutschland-a-1040107.html (GRRM is talking about a character who is going to die and how he got a new idea about it)

My German sucks. Is he talking about female character or could it also be a male character?

It could be both. "Figur" as in "character" is neutral...

There is this one character, of whom I always knew that he or she is going to die, he or she was doomed to die from the moment of his or her introduction. But I didn't know how he or she was supposed to die. I know it since last night. Maybe it was because of Hamburg, I don't know.

Well, it seems like the traveling brought some kind of epiphany to his head. I wonder whether he had the idea while sitting there, half-listening to Scheck's translations and stroking his beard... And now you say he should only stay at home and write write write ;-) I wonder if a certain kind of drill is going to be involved...

There is another quite interesting quote at the end of the interview, here my crude translation attempt:

Even though he doesn't have a definite plan for every one of the two thousand characters of the series, George R. R. Martin states: "I know, which main characters will die and who will survive at the end. And I know who is going to sit on the Iron Throne."

Archived