Season 6 Casting, Sightings and Speculations

Swineherd

It would make sense for the Citadel stuff to be in season 7 rather than 6, as I think its part of the endgame buildup. It might be too soon for much of that storyline and the writers would prefer to condense it all rather than spreading it out and losing momentum.

also, with the Faceless Men infiltration I suspect that Arya's training and story placement needs to be further along before the FM action at the Citadel (whatever the FM are doing there).

also, with the Faceless Men infiltration I suspect that Arya's training and story placement needs to be further along before the FM action at the Citadel (whatever the FM are doing there).

Why all I do see the logic in that, doesn't season 7 a bit late in the game for Sam to be just getting around to starting his training.

The Ironborn need some sort of climax this season. Oldtown seem like the most plausible target. That's unless they all head to Meereen, which I'm kinda rooting for.

I don't quite see your logic...it is a packed season so they will cast a character we have not even seen in the books, who is way older in the book dexcription, and who so far as we know has NO role ( Hightower) instead of a character we have met in the books, whose description matches perfectly, and who is very likely key to Theon and/or Yara and/or Damphair's storyline (the Reader)?

We know the role we are discussing here is not particularly big, so I stick to my position that the Reader makes the most sense. This casting is not part of the same call as the Northern lords and doesn't have the same requirements, so it is not someone Northern. The Oldtown story probably only needs Sam and some maesters, some Ironborn raiders and a faceless man...for whatever reason the FM have chosen to infiltrate the citadel.

We don't know anything about Sam's Oldtown story, since we're largely past AFFC.  It's quite plausible that Lord Hightower will be in TWOW.

I'm skeptical it's the Reader; he would have been at the Kingsmoot, most likely, if he was in Season 6.

Why all I do see the logic in that, doesn't season 7 a bit late in the game for Sam to be just getting around to starting his training.

The Ironborn need some sort of climax this season. Oldtown seem like the most plausible target. That's unless they all head to Meereen, which I'm kinda rooting for.

I don't think Sam's training is really the point. The story was always going to move too fast for him to ever finish it. He is not going to become a maester, what matters is his placement in Oldtown.

Yes, Euron will move against Oldtown at the end of season 6, there we agree. But even in the books, Sam arrived at Oldtown with the Ironborn already threatening the city, attacking ships in the bay. There Is no reason why the show would have Sam in place in Oldtown earlier in that storyline than in the books. It all get pushed back because the introduction of Euron and the Kingsmoot was pushed back. That is why Sam goes to Horn Hill first in the show.

The end of the season, Euron moves against Oldtown around the same time as Sam arrives. That is the same as the books. Then the main Oldtown action is reserved for next season. I am sure of this, because otherwise there would be an Oldtown cast. Which there is not: nothing resembling maesters, apprentices, Sarella, Marwyn, archmaesters, or anything else. Without any of these other roles it is extremely far fetched that somehow Hightower is the main Oldtown character.

We don't know anything about Sam's Oldtown story, since we're largely past AFFC.  It's quite plausible that Lord Hightower will be in TWOW.

I'm skeptical it's the Reader; he would have been at the Kingsmoot, most likely, if he was in Season 6.

I disagree that there is any need at all for the Reader to have been introduced at the KM. The entire logic and development of the KM will be different from the books, and the Reader did not do anything impactful at the Kingsmoot in the books that warrants his inclusion there.

It is extremely likely that his role in the story has more to do with the resistance against Euron via Damphair, Asha, and Theon than with what he has done this far. So in the show, the KM happens and Yara escapes to Ten Towers (instead of returning to the North as in the books).

I disagree that there is any need at all for the Reader to have been introduced at the KM. The entire logic and development of the KM will be different from the books, and the Reader did not do anything impactful at the Kingsmoot in the books that warrants his inclusion there.

I don't think Sam's training is really the point. The story was always going to move too fast for him to ever finish it. He is not going to become a maester, what matters is his placement in Oldtown.

Yes, Euron will move against Oldtown at the end of season 6, there we agree. But even in the books, Sam arrived at Oldtown with the Ironborn already threatening the city, attacking ships in the bay. There Is no reason why the show would have Sam in place in Oldtown earlier in that storyline than in the books. It all get pushed back because the introduction of Euron and the Kingsmoot was pushed back. That is why Sam goes to Horn Hill first in the show.

The end of the season, Euron moves against Oldtown around the same time as Sam arrives. That is the same as the books. Then the main Oldtown action is reserved for next season. I am sure of this, because otherwise there would be an Oldtown cast. Which there is not: nothing resembling maesters, apprentices, Sarella, Marwyn, archmaesters, or anything else. Without any of these other roles it is extremely far fetched that somehow Hightower is the main Oldtown character.

Totally agree, he doesn't do much outside of annoying Euron at the Kingsmoot. The only reason book

readers like him is that he's the only non-dickhead in dickhead islands.

Agree. The show doesn't tend to spread storylines completely over two seasons, or start a storyline which would need a fresh cast at the end of one season, probably too many budget and contractual reasons to do it like that.  

I also think the main story of Sam in Oldtown is to do with the Maesters and the big plot, not his training.

Totally agree, he doesn't do much outside of annoying Euron at the Kingsmoot. The only reason book

readers like him is that he's the only non-dickhead in dickhead islands.

The significance of the Reader in the story is that he is an ally of Asha/Yara, Theon, and maybe Damphair. His role at the Kingsmoots is irrelevant, but his role as an ally IMO is not. In the show, when Euron wins, Yara will need somewhere to go. She can't go to Deepwood like in the books...the story moved on. I am sure she will go to her uncle. Theon will need somewhere to go as well. This is why I think the Reader will show up. We know the non-northern lord is not a huge role. Niether would the Reader be. He provides the base for some key characters however.

He gives key info in the books and is one of the Marwyn name droppers to set up Oldtown next season as well.

The significance of the Reader in the story is that he is an ally of Asha/Yara, Theon, and maybe Damphair. His role at the Kingsmoots is irrelevant, but his role as an ally IMO is not. In the show, when Euron wins, Yara will need somewhere to go. She can't go to Deepwood like in the books...the story moved on. I am sure she will go to her uncle. Theon will need somewhere to go as well. This is why I think the Reader will show up. We know the non-northern lord is not a huge role. Niether would the Reader be. He provides the base for some key characters however.

He gives key info in the books and is one of the Marwyn name droppers to set up Oldtown next season as well.

A lotb of assumptions are in that statement to justify the existence of a such a minor character. An offhand mention of another minor character is not good enough reason to crowd the cast. Which is literally something a dozen can

do, from Qyburn or Pycell to Tarly or Mace.

Iron Islands isn't a fan favorite storyline, and with the changed timeline, Vic being cut and Threon thrown in the mix I see big changes coming our way. One of them would be having an entirely different dynamic between the Greyjoys. Why would they bring back Yara just to have her go hide after a couple episodes? What weight will Reek detransformation to Theon will hold if he just tuck his tail behind his legs and ran?

They don't have time to waste on unnecessary family drama, they should let the Greyjoys do what they do best. Be Pirates.

I'm pretty sure Yara will be taking on Victarions role this season and next. She'll come back for the Kingsmoot, maybe have Theon as an ally, lose the kingsmoot, run away and somehow decide to go find Dany or something. I also doubt the Reader will be an element of the story. 

There was a rumour a while ago that basically said the same thing. Yara is replacing Victarion, hopefully they give her back the sense of humour she lost after season 2.

I'm pretty sure Yara will be taking on Victarions role this season and next. She'll come back for the Kingsmoot, maybe have Theon as an ally, lose the kingsmoot, run away and somehow decide to go find Dany or something. I also doubt the Reader will be an element of the story. 

While I agree that Yara will be taking on Victarion's role or parts of it. They like to merge or give certain roles from the books or elements of plots to already established characters. Euron and Damphair are more than enough as the big player and potentially Dany's first enemy in Westeros.

Dany is coming to Westeros as I imagine in the end of season 6. Of course Yara has no idea where/when and if Dany will ever come to Westeros. But wouldn't be better for them to wait and have her doing something else. Why to go to Meereen when Dany will be on her way there. There was a speculation that Yara will die. I just don't know how credible that information is, but is she has to go somewhere. I doubt it will be to Dany.

A lotb of assumptions are in that statement to justify the existence of a such a minor character. An offhand mention of another minor character is not good enough reason to crowd the cast. Which is literally something a dozen can

do, from Qyburn or Pycell to Tarly or Mace.

Iron Islands isn't a fan favorite storyline, and with the changed timeline, Vic being cut and Threon thrown in the mix I see big changes coming our way. One of them would be having an entirely different dynamic between the Greyjoys. Why would they bring back Yara just to have her go hide after a couple episodes? What weight will Reek detransformation to Theon will hold if he just tuck his tail behind his legs and ran?

They don't have time to waste on unnecessary family drama, they should let the Greyjoys do what they do best. Be Pirates.

look, the casting call we are discussing here IS a minor character. So we are not talking about anyone EXCEPT minor characters.

The Reader very likely has a role to play in stories that we KNOW are taking place in season 6. There is not the slightest sign that any significant Oldtown action will. So we know this is not a Northerner, that leaves the Wall, the Ironborn, King's Landing or Riverlands. Of those, the Ironborn storyline has a character we know of who matches the description exactly. None of the other locations do.

It would make sense, I havent seen anything to suggest Victarion is in the show, and they usually give storylines to major established characters rather than unneccesarily introduce new ones.

I am not convinced that Vic's storyline is so essential. I think Yara's own story, having to do with whatever the Damphair is up to in the books is far more significant, because it is the resistance to Euron within the Iron Islands. In the show, there is no siege and Dany already has her ships. So noone needs to replace Vic. He is completely expendable.

• 2 weeks later...

http://watchersonthewall.com/first-look-at-jaime-lannister-from-game-of-thrones-season-6/

New shot from HBO of Jaime with the Tyrell army. Also Mace 's helm can be seen at the lower left corner. Glad to see Mace getting more screen time.

P.S gotta love that the way the horse tilt in the similar manner as Jaime.

Gif: http://i.imgur.com/CniL08o.png

16 hours ago, The Arthur Smith said:

http://watchersonthewall.com/first-look-at-jaime-lannister-from-game-of-thrones-season-6/

New shot from HBO of Jaime with the Tyrell army. Also Mace 's helm can be seen at the lower left corner. Glad to see Mace getting more screen time.

P.S gotta love that the way the horse tilt in the similar manner as Jaime.

Gif: http://i.imgur.com/CniL08o.png

Mace's helmet has a blue plume which means it can't be him.

Archived