Arya's endgame

a_motherf'ndragon

so I know I don't know most of the details or supposed codes that GRRM puts into the books as hints, but just for my sake of reassurance, nobody thinks Arya will just become a background character and just fall off by being restricted by the Faceless Men? I don't think so, but it just seems in his nature to make you love a character and then take them away by either these means or by death.

If you have not read Mercy, an Arya sample chapter from The Winds of Winter available on GRRM's website, I would do so. IMO it would put to rest any fear that she is becoming more disconnected from the story.

She would seem to need to go both to the Riverlands and the Wall before the conclusion but its hard to see how she can do both, there is so little space even if she leaves Braavos straight away. With such a huge cast, could she get away with around 13 chapters devoted to her journey like in Clash of Kings? Some people even see her going to Kings Landing. It just seems too much.

I think Nymeria, the Freys, Stoneheart, Gendry being so close suggests that they are waiting for her to show up narratively. Having learned the reality of death and the value of life she puts her mother out of her suffering. Takes a final bloody vengeance in the pre-planned plot of the brotherhood, bringing the wolfpack and the brotherhood together. Then she and Nymeria at least go north? Perhaps we meet Howland in an Arya POV? She would need to cross the neck and Howland takes her to Jon himself with her father's bones. Revelations ensue...

Everyone is coming together vs the Others. So she'll be killing Others, likely with Dark Sister as Needle would not work.

She would seem to need to go both to the Riverlands and the Wall before the conclusion but its hard to see how she can do both, there is so little space even if she leaves Braavos straight away. With such a huge cast, could she get away with around 13 chapters devoted to her journey like in Clash of Kings? Some people even see her going to Kings Landing. It just seems too much.

I think Nymeria, the Freys, Stoneheart, Gendry being so close suggests that they are waiting for her to show up narratively. Having learned the reality of death and the value of life she puts her mother out of her suffering. Takes a final bloody vengeance in the pre-planned plot of the brotherhood, bringing the wolfpack and the brotherhood together. Then she and Nymeria at least go north? Perhaps we meet Howland in an Arya POV? She would need to cross the neck and Howland takes her to Jon himself with her father's bones. Revelations ensue...

Everyone is coming together vs the Others. So she'll be killing Others, likely with Dark Sister as Needle would not work.

I agree with all of that, especially the part about all those people in the Riverlands really waiting for her to show up, but I am super-curious: Why do you say Dark Sister?

That sounds really interesting.

I agree with all of that, especially the part about all those people in the Riverlands really waiting for her to show up, but I am super-curious: Why do you say Dark Sister?

That sounds really interesting.

Well, first point, the name is obvious

second, Arya is going to be the ascendent martial woman in the book. Brienne will likely not survive. Here we have a sword we are told is made for a woman, hasnt been weilded by a woman since Visenya. Aryas feminist undertones make her a natural to claim this token of female power

thirdly, Jon will likely get Ice reforged and give Jorah Longclaw. Leaving Dark Sister free for his Dark ' Sister'. Valyrian steel will likely kill Others, this is the natural blade for Arya to do it.

fourthly, the narrative of the blade, having been 'rebaptised' in the gods eye, Daemon may be still there! Bloodraven is chosen of the old gods it seems and he got it. Seems natural to go to a character favoured by the old gods.

fifthly, location. I would wager its either in the cave or at the wall. Meera and Hodor at least have to come back, may be tasked with giving it to Jon. Meera could use it in the meantime.

sixthly, Its stated Needle is getting too small for Arya. It would fit if Jon gifts her a new weapon

Lastly, the bastards get the swords and the girls get the arms. Jon then gives her a sword. As much as I hate it, Jon finding out hes Rhaegars could give her the Targ sword and she gives him the Stark arms by marriage. He would then claim the throne as a Stark, maybe by blood right as Rhaegar's son or by deeds.

So those are all reasons for it, some more speculative than others

Oh and the show, when shireen is reading in Mhysa the camera lingers on the image of Visenya with her sword. Previously Arya went into detail about Visenya and Dark Sister. Tywin says that she is a hero of Arya's. Seems they want to plant that sword a bit to come up later.

Well, first point, the name is obvious

second, Arya is going to be the ascendent martial woman in the book. Brienne will likely not survive. Here we have a sword we are told is made for a woman, hasnt been weilded by a woman since Visenya. Aryas feminist undertones make her a natural to claim this token of female power

thirdly, Jon will likely get Ice reforged and give Jorah Longclaw. Leaving Dark Sister free for his Dark ' Sister'. Valyrian steel will likely kill Others, this is the natural blade for Arya to do it.

fourthly, the narrative of the blade, having been 'rebaptised' in the gods eye, Daemon may be still there! Bloodraven is chosen of the old gods it seems and he got it. Seems natural to go to a character favoured by the old gods.

fifthly, location. I would wager its either in the cave or at the wall. Meera and Hodor at least have to come back, may be tasked with giving it to Jon. Meera could use it in the meantime.

sixthly, Its stated Needle is getting too small for Arya. It would fit if Jon gifts her a new weapon

Lastly, the bastards get the swords and the girls get the arms. Jon then gives her a sword. As much as I hate it, Jon finding out hes Rhaegars could give her the Targ sword and she gives him the Stark arms by marriage. He would then claim the throne as a Stark, maybe by blood right as Rhaegar's son or by deeds.

So those are all reasons for it, some more speculative than others

Oh and the show, when shireen is reading in Mhysa the camera lingers on the image of Visenya with her sword. Previously Arya went into detail about Visenya and Dark Sister. Tywin says that she is a hero of Arya's. Seems they want to plant that sword a bit to come up later.

That's all very cool stuff. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about "gives him the Stark arms by marriage" (do you mean, they would marry? That sounds really weird, but I'm a King Bran guy so, that's to be expected).

Have you heard about the connection between Gorne's Way and the tunnels under the Cave of the CotF? I think it's a very possible escape route for when Bran and Co. need to return to Winterfell in TWOW.

But anyways, I think I'm getting behind the theory that Arya will wield Dark Sister!

That's all very cool stuff. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about "gives him the Stark arms by marriage" (do you mean, they would marry? That sounds really weird, but I'm a King Bran guy so, that's to be expected).

Have you heard about the connection between Gorne's Way and the tunnels under the Cave of the CotF? I think it's a very possible escape route for when Bran and Co. need to return to Winterfell in TWOW.

But anyways, I think I'm getting behind the theory that Arya will wield Dark Sister!

Yes, matrillineal marriage, that quote is from Jon in AGOT. In one way it would be great as Jon would still be a bastard, something that defines him. He gets to be the Stark he always wanted and he earns a throne by his actions and not just blood right. On the other hand, its not my preference.

Here is a TV show screencap of the book I mentioned. It panned down but this is the best I could find

http://screencapped.net/tv/gameofthrones/displayimage.php?album=1348&pid=1533016#top_display_media

Arya hasn't yet shed her Stark identity, nor does it seem if she ever could. Wolf dreams, constant memories of home and siblings, Needle still hidden. Many anchors she hasn't forgotten, though has repressed. Which is understandable, as the only living Stark witness to her parents slaying, thus the 'hole in her heart' and the appeal towards the FM philosophy of No One. The hurt within is too much for her, still a child.

That said, if Bran can reach her via BranVision dreams, communicates the pack survives, and she believes, Arya would suddenly have a new purpose in life. She still has a pack, just needs to reach them, a familiar Odysseus theme of hers. Add in her troubles w/FM rules, how they perceive women as members (women give life, the FM give death), own growth/budding womanhood, and mayhap some encounters that remind her of home, and the stage is set for Arya's release from the House of Black and White.

Where she goes, depends on Arya's inner struggle, vengeance vs family. The Vale/Riverlands gets her back north quickest, as she picks up allies, and Sansa, along the way. Vengeance puts her in Kings Landing and whomever on her list remains there. Whom Arya gets in KL depends on far too many events happening across Westeros and in the Red Keep. Besides, there's the other half of Ice, good ole Joff's valaryan sword in the RK, while Brienne has the larger blade. Then on the Kings Road and north once more, but this time in her own power, not a victim, definitively not a sheep. Even w/o face-changing, Westeros can't understand the new Arya, or her superior skills set, won't know what hit them.

Don't have a clue what Arya has in mind for her endgame, nor do I know for sure what GRRM plans. But I do have some ideas.

1. She will return to Westeros

2. She will not remain with the FM (but as long as she doesn't spill the beans about them I don't think they'll care, or maybe she'll Doom of Valyria them and then go home).

3. She will kick some major butt, but will not kill everyone on her list.

4. In the end she will decide the list isn't important, she has Other fish to fry.

Ayra is dreaming of warrior queens, I'm convinced her favourite is Visenya since the show has mentioned Arya fangirling her. I see Aryas fate bringing her to our Targaryen queen, together they will land on westerosi soil. We know Dany surrounds herself with women and she would problaly welcome Arya. And its problaly the one way Arya can manage to strike against her own personal enemies.

She isn't going to shed her identity forever. She kept Needle, even though she got rid of all her possessions. That is a very symbolic act, and it foreshadows that Arya won't abandon her identity. I think she will learn as much as she can from the FM, but she will ditch them the first chance she gets, probably if she is sent to Westeros.

Ayra is dreaming of warrior queens, I'm convinced her favourite is Visenya since the show has mentioned Arya fangirling her. I see Aryas fate bringing her to our Targaryen queen, together they will land on westerosi soil. We know Dany surrounds herself with women and she would problaly welcome Arya. And its problaly the one way Arya can manage to strike against her own personal enemies.

Arya is the daughter of a Usurpers' dog. Her brother at the wall has the Baratheons as guests. Dany is the daughter of the mad man who burnt her grandfather and murdered her uncle. The sister of the man who kidnapped and raped her aunt. I doubt she would want to go within 50 miles of Dany.

Arya's favourite is Nymeria.

Arya doesn't need Dany to get back at her enemies. Its more likely she hitches a ride with Stannis' sellswords who may have to land elsewhere because of the dead things in the water up north.

Arya is the daughter of a Usurpers' dog. Her brother at the wall has the Baratheons as guests. Dany is the daughter of the mad man who burnt her grandfather and murdered her uncle. The sister of the man who kidnapped and raped her aunt. I doubt she would want to go within 50 miles of Dany.

Arya's favourite is Nymeria.

Arya doesn't need Dany to get back at her enemies. Its more likely she hitches a ride with Stannis' sellswords who may have to land elsewhere because of the dead things in the water up north.

Arya may very well end up saving Dany's life. I'd be really surprised if somebody doesn't hire the FM to dispatch the Dragon Queen.

Barry was part of the Usurper's KG and he got a pass. Arya is just a kid. And Dany is in no position to throw stones over the actions of somebody's parents.

I agree Nymeria is her favorite, but Visenya is also a warrior queen and V had dragons.

Agreed. Arya doesn't "need" Dany. But...

if you read the Mercy chapter, you will have noted that Arya is interested in seeing dragons. And that's not even the first time that's been in Arya's thoughts.

This doesn't necessarily mean she's going to meet up with Dany pre-Westeros, but chances are high that they will cross paths.

Everyone will come together at the Wall or Winterfell.

I'd love Arya to infiltrate Dany's team, Kill Cersei, kill Varys, kill Stoneheart, devour the Freys before going North and sending the Nights King on his way but I don't think there is time. I don't see Arya going back to Kings Landing again, she got out of there already. Nor do I see the point of having another POV with Dany when Tyrion has already shown up.

By going the Riverlands you can bring together all those plot strands of the brotherhood, Stoneheart and Nymeria with one character. GRRM is then free to cut 1 or 2 secondary POVs, Brienne and Jaime.

I also don't get a real Dragonrider vibe from Arya. There are dragon references but she also references a flaming sword and she's not Azor Ahai. I suspect Ice is Lightbringer and Ned was the sacrifice but we are meant to poop ourselves in fear its Arya. Being one of the 'Big 5' I'm sure she's going to do something amazing in ADOS.

I didn't say anything about her riding dragons. Just being interested in them.

Ice as the new Lightbringer? Possible, but it will need to be reforged back into one sword and re-tempered, so Ned may not count as the sacrifice. Plus it didn't go into his heart (which I think is an important part of it).

I think Arya survives the series.

My prediction is that she actually becomes a new Nymeria, either as a warrior Queen, a warrior Princess, or a warrior Lady Paramount. So yes, I think that Ned's words come true as a prophecy of sorts -- I think the least likely girl to be married and have children ends up doing just that, and her children and grandchildren rule after her. Not sure how she gets there, but after reconsidering her story in light of GRRM's original plans, it seems clear to me. Would love to see other fans' theories and analyses.

I don't think Arya goes rogue. That's the story that she's lived for the entire series so far. I just don't see her becoming an outlaw in a series where GRRM's parodied the most famous outlaw cycle in fantasy/fairy tales/myth, Robin Hood. The BwB is his deconstruction of that. As much as some would love to see an outlaw Arya, it's not happening. Arya's been an "outlaw" ever since she was a small girl defying the expectations of her class for her gender.

I also don't think either Stark girl dies before the end. Lyanna was the former generation's Arya and Sansa combination -- she died locked in a tower, almost as far away from the North as one can get. Perhaps GRRM will retell the same story there -- after all, both Rickard AND Ned Stark died in King's Landing at the whim of a Mad King -- but I seriously doubt that he will.

Everyone expects Arya to become a full-blown assassin, die, or go rogue. Few would expect her to actually do what Ned tells her she will eventually. And GRRM's spilled too much ink over the havoc that other "wild girls" in the series have caused in the past. And if I had any doubts, the letter ended them. We may only see it in epilogue, but Arya's having a lord husband and babies.

I think all three of my faves will eventually be "queens" of some kind, although I don't know that they all survive canon.

Dany is already the Dragon Queen (fire).

Sansa will be the Winter Queen (ice).

And I think Arya will someday be a Warrior Queen.

Not sure if all three will be literal queens, or figurative (we've had a lot of that already in ASOIAF - QoLaB, Queen Who Never Was, etc.), but the queen imagery will be consistent. That's because I feel we're getting the realistic nuts and bolts for what will long afterward (perhaps in Planetos' modern era) be sagas or epics, where these flawed, flesh-and-blood characters are reduced to A Song of Ice and Fire, that kids at Oldtown U have to read and write pointless essays about.

The fate I don't want for Arya or ANY of my faves is to die in childbirth, but I know what GRRM would argue back: that's totally accurate for the period. Because, well, it was. But from a storytelling perspective it's just so mundane!

I just find it so naive to think that Arya is gonna magically recover from all the trauma she's been through and go find a husband and have his babies. It's so unrealistic. I don't think it's gonna happen.

One can be totally f'ed up and still procreate.

That's the origin of 90% of the ASOIAF characters, actually. Not to mention the human species on our planet, through all history, and across cultures.

Some ASOIAF youth is going to end canon with a wife who can and will murder him not only in his sleep, but if he ever messes up. That's a powerful "check" for a ruler to have. And in turn, he'd have a partner who 1) wouldn't be a liability or Achilles heel and 2) will have his back.

I didn't say she was going to fall in love, either. But GRRM certainly planned it for her to do so. He's more hearts-flowers-and-candy and I am... after all, I'm not the one who wrote a love song for a 10 year old girl protagonist.

Whether it's political or personal, I think she ends up married. But I do think she'll have some modicum of agency -- she'll choose it. I don't know who at this point, but it's totally happening.

(I will laugh my head off if it's Jon, even if I'm totally squicked by Starkcest. Like AryaNymeriaVisenya, I don't rule it out, although I'll hate it because ew.)

Archived