Would Cersei still have hated Tyrion if he wasn't a dwarf?

James Steller

• 4 months later...

Tyrion would probably have been quite different. Imagine if he was Jaime with brains? He might have wound up as Tywin's favorite and therefore Cersei might have hated him out of jealousy. But there are just too many variables. All their lives would have been very different. Who knows what may have happened, what if Tyrion is picked for the Kingsguard instead of Jaime? Or Tywin grooms Tyrion as his heir?

I think that the answer lies in Cersie herself rather than in anything to do with Tyrion. Is she just naturally a hateful person? My Grandmother used to say that some people were "born to burn". The question would be does that describe Cersei? It's the old question of nature or nurture.

Yes. Cersei's first interaction with Tyrion is as the cause of her mother's death. However, this hypothetical situation could mean that Joanna does not die in childbirth, at which point, I'd say no, Cersei wouldn't hate Tyrion and might have just been very competitive with him. Sort of how she was before Tyrion became Hand.

I wonder if Jaime and Tyrion looking (and perhaps even acting) alike would have Cersei caused to wonder which of her Little Brothers the Valonquar really is? Would she have started to resent them both?

I find it entirely possible that, had the other events of the War of the 5 Kings still played out the same (Jaime captured, Tywin sending Tyrion to King's Landing) if Cersei had slept with him instead or in addition to Lancel.

I can see Tywin's reaction to a handsome Tyrion being more along the lines "I wish your mother could have lived to see you today"

Related to the topic; do you think Sansa would have reacted more favorably towards a handsome (but still kind) Tyrion as her husband? Would this Tyrion have been able to convince her to consummate the marriage?

I wonder if Jaime and Tyrion looking (and perhaps even acting) alike would have Cersei caused to wonder which of her Little Brothers the Valonquar really is? Would she have started to resent them both?

I find it entirely possible that, had the other events of the War of the 5 Kings still played out the same (Jaime captured, Tywin sending Tyrion to King's Landing) if Cersei had slept with him instead or in addition to Lancel.

I can see Tywin's reaction to a handsome Tyrion being more along the lines "I wish your mother could have lived to see you today"

Related to the topic; do you think Sansa would have reacted more favorably towards a handsome (but still kind) Tyrion as her husband? Would this Tyrion have been able to convince her to consummate the marriage?

Now that would've been something to see...

Archived