Blackfyre or Targaryen - who do you support?

Bluetiger

I wish my wife and kids thought like you.

In a medieval world, your wife and kids can ally with whomever they like, but only lord's decision is valid as far as a house is concerned. He is within his rights to sanction every vassal accordingly. So, house Hightower cannot be on both sides.

In a medieval world, your wife and kids can ally with whomever they like, but only lord's decision is valid as far as a house is concerned. He is within his rights to sanction every vassal accordingly. So, house Hightower cannot be on both sides.

depends what you define was house high tower.

like during the war of five kings. both stannis joff and renly claimed to be house baratheon, despite being on opposite sides.

What if the kids lock the lord in a closet and rally all their men for the side the lord opposes?

depends what you define was house high tower.

like during the war of five kings. both stannis joff and renly claimed to be house baratheon, despite being on opposite sides.

Normal rules always apply. There is only one head of a house. When there are many claimants, there is a war/fight amongst them and the winner becomes it. But that is not my question. It says here and in wiki of ice and fire that House Hightower had been supporting both sides. It doesn't say there was a dispute within the said house about its leadership. So, if a house is on both sides that means that either lord of the house ordered different members to support one side or the other or that some house members went rogue and supported the side unsupported by the house lord. If it's a former, it is a devious tactics and it is strange that house Hightower was not punished for it regardless of who won Targaryen/Blackfyre dispute. If it the latter, no one can say that a house supported both sides, but that some members defected to the other side. This is the precise distinction I am trying to make, which is not clear in the text (Dunk&Egg and ASOIAF) and it's not clear in wiki. And when something is not clear, that is because GRRM does not want to make it to be clear just yet.

Or Hightowers did the same as lord Gullian Swann during WoT5K:

Lord Gulian is one of the few storm lords that agrees to receive Davos Seaworth, and even breaks bread with him. He does not respond to Stannis Baratheon's demands, however. In the War of the Five Kings, Gulian pleads illness and takes no part. Having participated in Robert's Rebellion, Gulian has no intention to committing more lives to future wars. His sons represent Stonehelm in several causes, however.

The heir to the house, Ser Donnel, is first with Renly Baratheon and then with Stannis, and is wounded in the Battle of the Blackwater. He yields to Ser Elwood Harte and is ransomed afterward, before swearing fealty to King Joffrey I Baratheon.

Archived