Blackfyre or Targaryen - who do you support?

Bluetiger

Daeron was by far the more competent of the two it seems to me, and he had the most competent supporters in Baelor Breakspear, Maekar and Brynden Rivers, as well as the most support. I just wished he was Ser Aemon's son rather than Aegon the Unworthy's... but I guess that would be to good to be true...

In a feudalistic society a leader has to lead amongst others by strength, in order to command respect and loyalty. That is an universal truth throughout human history. Those who we call great kings, emperors, caliphs, sultans, khans or whatever didnt become great because they were nice people but because they were ruthless if neccessary.

Please note that this is not a value judgement but simply stating facts.

That said, I would support Daemon. The Targaryen post Daeron remind me a lot of the late Merowingian kings whereas the Blackfyres more than once showed the strength and determination of the Carolingians.

The Targaryen started to believe their own hype without backing it up with facts anymore. A weak dynasty and it started with Daeron II.

Daemon or Daeron , both would be bad kings in my opinion.

If "hammer and anvil" and Bloodraven weren't on his side Daeron would lose. If Daemon didn't have Bittersteel and Fireball he would be executed after few days.

If I were a lord I would wait as did many.

If I were knight I would follow my lord.

Yes, personnaly I'm Blackfyre fan, but it's not Daemon whom I want on Iron Throne. All hail king Aenys Blackfyre ! King who wanted peace! King who wanted negotiations! King who was betrayed and MURDERED by Bloodraven! ;)

Targaryen

There are few people in the series I hate more than Daemon and his supporters. It was a brutal civil war for nothing save foolish vanity and the idea a strong jawed warrior is any use outside of war.

Give me a considerate nerd every time.

This. Daemon supporters better be Dany supporters, because all Daemon seemed to be good for was war.

Exactly! House Baratheon ftw!

Baratheon is an offshoot too.

This. No inbred crazy rulers for Westeros. Kick the Targs and their offshoots back to Valyria.

While this is of course fiction, I find this line of thought troubling. As I've said before, Targaryens are no more "outsiders" to Westeros than the Andaps or First Men. The only difference being the latter two have had a longer run than the Targaryens. I don't see many complaining about the Andals and First Men being vicious bloodthirsty conquerors, which they clearly were.

While this is of course fiction, I find this line of thought troubling. As I've said before, Targaryens are no more "outsiders" to Westeros than the Andaps or First Men. The only difference being the latter two have had a longer run than the Targaryens. I don't see many complaining about the Andals and First Men being vicious bloodthirsty conquerors, which they clearly were.

Andals and First men weren't inbred maniacs!

Well the Targs were crazy and the Andals and the First Men weren't inbred or crazy. The "kick the Targs back to Valyria" line was meant tongue in cheek. and while I do think the Targs or Blackfyres shouldn't be kings, I am about to join the Westerosi National Front or something like that lol.

Most andal and first men families married cousin to cousin, uncle to niece, aunt to nephew, they were/are inbred, Take Tywin and Joanna Lannister as an example. And if you don't believe the A&J= C&J theory the Lannisters even practise incest like the Targaryens.

Most andal and first men families married cousin to cousin, uncle to niece, aunt to nephew, they were/are inbred, Take Tywin and Joanna Lannister as an example. And if you don't believe the A&J= C&J theory the Lannisters even practise incest like the Targaryens.

Cousin to cousin, niece to uncle is different to brother and sister. And the Lannisters practicing incest seems to be only case of non-Valyrian incest

What.

Hehe. I'm saying that the only reason given for Daemon being better suited as king is his being stronger, which is really only good for war and dueling. If war/strength makes a good monarch, then it seems to me that those who tout Daemon should also be in favor of Daenerys waging war to win the throne. Just a random thought.

Yeah, they were just plain old maniacs, no incest needed. Is that better somehow?

Archived