Realistically, If The Wall Comes Down, How Does It Happen?

Blazfemur

I think metaphorically the wall has already come down. Currently, the NW and the ppl of Westeros consider the wall to protect them from the wildlings. Jon letting the wildlings through the wall means it's no longer protecting the 7K from their perceived danger.

Some other idea I've kicked around...If it comes down literally I think it's likely to be a "natural disaster" (Hardhome, Summerhall & Valyria). We know Queen Alysanne and Silverwing visited the Wall and Sam wonders if Silverwing left eggs behind, maybe petrified like Dany's were. Perhaps those are found and Mel attempts to "wake the stone dragons" and it backfyres.

So I seem to remember reading somewhere GRRM saying that the Wall existing showed that something was "wrong", as did the repeated long "winters" (which are mini-Ice Ages). I always thought it would be much more interesting if there was something about the planet's cosmology, like being part of a binary or trinary star system, that governed the winters and was not really well understood by the Westerosi. Seems that's not the case; I wish I could remember where I read, 'cause I'd share the link, about GRRM saying, in essence, that winter was something to be "fixed" by resolution with the Others, and implicit in that was that the Wall was part of winter and things being "wrong".

I personally like having the Wall and the Night's Watch - despite the inherently biased nature of having a men-only society, it's kind of like the Knights Templar, a brotherhood defending the realm. I think it would be sad not to have that, and to see it come back up to full strength but whatever GRRM has in mind.

As far as the comet hitting it - no, I'm with the poster who spoke of the great devastation that would cause the entire world. Not a happy thought for any of Westeros or Essos. Has the comet even been *mentioned* in the last bits of the last two books? Comets tend to be transitory affairs, visible for a couple of weeks as they transit through near space, no more.

It certainly has not been shown in the skies in the series. Since Season 2.

GRRM has spoken of the Others as having a society, and having objectives, and again I recall seeing that we would see more of that in the next couple of seasons. I hope.

So I seem to remember reading somewhere GRRM saying that the Wall existing showed that something was "wrong", as did the repeated long "winters" (which are mini-Ice Ages). I always thought it would be much more interesting if there was something about the planet's cosmology, like being part of a binary or trinary star system, that governed the winters and was not really well understood by the Westerosi. Seems that's not the case; I wish I could remember where I read, 'cause I'd share the link, about GRRM saying, in essence, that winter was something to be "fixed" by resolution with the Others, and implicit in that was that the Wall was part of winter and things being "wrong".

I personally like having the Wall and the Night's Watch - despite the inherently biased nature of having a men-only society, it's kind of like the Knights Templar, a brotherhood defending the realm. I think it would be sad not to have that, and to see it come back up to full strength but whatever GRRM has in mind.

As far as the comet hitting it - no, I'm with the poster who spoke of the great devastation that would cause the entire world. Not a happy thought for any of Westeros or Essos. Has the comet even been *mentioned* in the last bits of the last two books? Comets tend to be transitory affairs, visible for a couple of weeks as they transit through near space, no more.

GRRM has spoken of the Others as having a society, and having objectives, and again I recall seeing that we would see more of that in the next couple of seasons. I hope.

but thats the thing though man, theyre corrupt. it's not all paladin-like saviors of the world. theyre built on corruption, and their members are liars rapists and thieves. who joined willingly of their own accord other than Jon? name one thats alive right now, that joined, for nobility. they break oath constantly and consistently whenever they look for "buried treasure." and it is a big deal, they make it that its not but it's an oath. if it werent a big deal, to be with a woman, theyd have nothing to exile TNK for, because from what we know, Others arent undead, so he's still under oath, and this is reflected in him taking craster's boys, not fathering them, taking the boys, so there are no girls to marry or wife, and they appear nomadic/there are no designated lands beyond the wall, so they technically hold no lands.

in regards to the devastation the comet would cause -- yeah it would be legendary. the doom of valyria come again, even. i find it a more realistic approach to breaking down that wall than say, the wall melting or disappearing suddenly. it needs to be broken. youre keeping wildlings in a place where Others reside, keeping them from the realm. why? because they refuse to "kneel?" theyve already agreed to be compliant and be good boys and girls for the realm. so far, theyve co-existed at the wall just fine. there's no need for the watch anymore. and if the debate is yes we do, there are Others: You really think a few hundred will stop that force, when even the people that are slain, rise again? theyre largert han the watch can handle. there's no purpose tot he watch, any longer. they, dont believe in it, any longer, and the only monument to their cause is that wall, the biggest symbol of segregation this book has to offer.

it has to come down. broken, disappeared, melted, whatever. i think being broken through has more meaning to it, but one way or the other, there must be passage. the watch has failed, the realm and each other. the last ounce of dignity they have, must also be crushed.

Fun thought: If the wall melted, would the flood be bad enough to wipe out both Stannis & Bolton's armies at Winterfell?

id think it'd be half of the water that comprises the wall (the other half would flow in the other direction, north), then again, if Others can bring winter, their winds might push more of it southward.

it might take awhile, Bolton's army stands more of a chance since Stannis is still in the fields

id think it'd be half of the water that comprises the wall (the other half would flow in the other direction, north), then again, if Others can bring winter, their winds might push more of it southward.

it might take awhile, Bolton's army stands more of a chance since Stannis is still in the fields

Ah, damn. I want Bolton to die. Oooh, maybe an ice spider will wash up and bite his head off!

A woman can dream.

Ah, damn. I want Bolton to die. Oooh, maybe an ice spider will wash up and bite his head off!

A woman can dream.

i dont even dislike Roose, just Ramsay. I dont think even roose, likes ramsay. Now that fat walda's pregnant, Roose could turn and get rid of that loose cannon.

because i think he'd know she's in danger after the rumors that ramsay killed his first trueborn boy

Ooh good point. Okay, Roose can kill Ramsay before he gets eaten by an ice spider... or better yet, maybe he can drink a cup of the strangler served by his old cupbearer from Harrenhall. :D

I have all sorts of nifty deaths coming to mind. Methinks I should go kill someone in one of my own books.

Fun thought: If the wall melted, would the flood be bad enough to wipe out both Stannis & Bolton's armies at Winterfell?

It might be. It might be enough even to, say, flood the now largely uninhabited lands just north and south of the Wall, effectively making the North another island continent - at least for a while.

As far as the worthiness of the Night's Watch: no institution is 100% pure. I'd like to see them restored to their full strength, because as a group, they are an effective brotherhood at what they do. I agree that by this point they're headed for some serious damage vis a vis the prophecy and remaining untrue; but again with the relative morality that time and age and, yes, wisdom can bring. The Watch has some unsavoury individuals. It also has characters like Benjen Stark and Jeor Mormont and Samwell Tarly. I think the Watch has been a good alternative to a lot of executions and maimings. And yes, you get quite a few unsavoury characters. You also get the falsely accused (Pyp, was it? or Dareon?). You get those who find something great within themselves - Sam. I will always love the Watch because it had Jeor Mormont and Aemon Targaryen, and they are wonderful, strong characters who maybe didn't do what I would do, but still made a stamp.

Let me pull my research papers on how realistically 700 feet high, hundred feet wide, hundred of kilometers long magical walls of ice probably built by giants fall :p.

First, if it melts, there's going to be a flood or something. I can,t be bothered to calculate how much water the Wall holds, but it's bound to be loads of the stuff. Castle Black and areas around the Gift surely won't be spared.

If it's shattered somehow, the storm of debris is going to be pretty epic.

If a comet lands on it (which I very much doubt will happen), the state of of the Wall will be the last concern of anyone within hundreds of kilometers if it's big enough. That's some downright apocalyptical stuff, yo.

Let me pull my research papers on how realistically 700 feet high, hundred feet wide, hundred of kilometers long magical walls of ice probably built by giants fall :P.

First, if it melts, there's going to be a flood or something. I can,t be bothered to calculate how much water the Wall holds, but it's bound to be loads of the stuff. Castle Black and areas around the Gift surely won't be spared.

If it's shattered somehow, the storm of debris is going to be pretty epic.

If a comet lands on it (which I very much doubt will happen), the state of of the Wall will be the last concern of anyone within hundreds of kilometers if it's big enough. That's some downright apocalyptical stuff, yo.

oh hands down, no arguments there. it's just that out of the three possibilities, comet crash, melt, or dissipate, i see the comet crash being the most realistic (for some odd reason lmao)

but i could be way off, WHICH direction was the comet heading? is it even travelling in that direction??

If a comet hits or the Wall comes down, its not going to be a "Gift problem", its gonna be a Westeros problem. And probably wouldn't end there.

The amount of water in the Wall could change the level of oceans, the melting would not end with mere flooding. The entire geography of the world could change.

A comet? The shock waves alone could possible be enough to bring Winterfell down. The aftershock effects would also be catastrophic. I'm pretty unsure if a society like that could survive a comet large enough to destroy the Wall

Again, I'm betting all my money on blood and a metaphorical fall

Archived