Small things that annoy you ?

TheLightning Lord

It's weird, because I only started noticing it late on, but it had been recurrent. Must have been a cumulative thing. The 'padded' thing I never picked up on. 'Waddled' just strikes a ridiculous image. It makes Tyrion sound like one of the Monoids in 'The Ark', from Doctor Who.

Bedding ceremonies are a huge gripe for me. I find that custom degrading for both the groom and his bride. Why hasn’t that practice been outlawed yet?

On another note, many of the sex scenes are tiresome. I would rather the story focus on other things than unnecessary body grinding.

Night's Watch rangers wearing black cloaks on more or less stealthy rangings or scoutings beyond the Wall in winter. Why not wear white or field-grey or a combination of those? Don't get me wrong, I have no problem if they wear their black cloaks at the Wall, but on secret missions beyond the Wall? Just no. If I were LC and had the resources, I'd issue them light grey and white camouflaged cloaks and grey horses / palfreys.

I anticipated a few arguments against this small gripe of mine, so here are my responses to those I can think of from the top of my head:

1st argument:

It's their tradition / heritage.

Bugger that. It's not practical.

2nd argument: The albedo effect - Dark surfaces don't reflect as much energy from the sun as bright surfaces. Therefore, a dark cloak keeps you a bit warmer during a sunny day.

I know. Would you rather (1) feel a bit more cold ((IF there's a sunny day)) or (2) suddenly get assaulted and killed by wildlings because they saw you from like a mile away against a mostly white and bright background?

3rd argument: You know, there's also rocks and trees. It's not just a plain white field of snow and ice.

I know. In winter, it's mostly snow or snow-covered objects, though, isn't it? Have you ever been to a really snowy and icy place in the woods / mountains / hilly countryside? The background is mostly white and (more or less) bright.

4th argument: Better concealment at night.

No. Sorry, but that's stupid. Because physics. Obviously, even at night a white or light grey cloak will conceal you better against a snow-covered background than a black cloak. Trust me - I've been there. In my 'youth', when I was still an active hunter, I've hunted wild boars in snowy winters in the middle of the night with only a crescent moon and a few stars in the sky. Against the snow on the ground, I could see them coming easily from several hundred meters away on an open field and from about 100m in a more or less densely vegetated forest, even without binoculars. With binoculars, you can probably double that distance. An animal with white or light grey fur would be considerably harder to see. Against a snow-covered background, dark moving things stand out like a bonfire - whether it's day or night makes no matter. The contrast of a dark object to a bright background stays more or less the same, even with little light at night.

5th argument: White-bleached or field-grey cloaks are harder to maintain than black.

Might be. But then again, what would you rather do? (1) Go to a few more lengths to maintain your cloak and issue a few new cloaks specifically for rangers every few years? Or (2) have a stastically much higher chance of getting spotted and horribly murdered beyond the Wall?

Bedding ceremonies are a huge gripe for me. I find that custom degrading for both the groom and his bride. Why hasn’t that practice been outlawed yet?

On another note, many of the sex scenes are tiresome. I would rather the story focus on other things than unnecessary body grinding.

George is dedicated to telling all the worlds nitty gritty details it would seem. And I mean, sex happens. Right?

[...] And I mean, sex happens. Right?

Preach it.

How did George put it?

I can describe an axe entering a human skull in great explicit detail and no one will blink twice at it. I provide a similar description, just as detailed, of a penis entering a vagina, and I get letters about it and people swearing off. To my mind this is kind of frustrating, it’s madness. Ultimately, in the history of [the] world, penises entering vaginas have given a lot of people a lot of pleasure; axes entering skulls, well, not so much.

You know it's based on customs that existed IRL in several different cultures, right? Hell, in various parts of the middle ages up through the beginnning of the Enlightenment, some royal first couples had witnesses. Like, the King would boink the new Queen with a bunch of people watching.

I get agrivated with a lot of things... Iv read the books and I watch the show so this is for both of them... Ashas nuncle word, asha greyjoy in general, Jon snow always looking upset, (understandable for him but it's getting old) , Dany always going on and on about Darrio in her thauts, the show cutting out parts of the books I love, that the Kingsmoot storyline in AFFC is not in show, yeezan is not fat like he is in books, arya always going on about her list and her emo phase she's got going on, that Young and big Griff are not in show, Cersci sarcastic humor that is not portrayed in the books, white walkers are slow as fuck

George is dedicated to telling all the worlds nitty gritty details it would seem. And I mean, sex happens. Right?

Yes, sex happens and I understand that. And I’m not saying it should be outright banned (in reference to this world), for that would be unrealistic. For me, it has mostly to do with the details and an overabundance. Actually, I thought the description of Catelyn and Ned’s lovemaking was subtle. This is also extended to Robb and Jeyne. We got the hint it happened, even if it wasn’t graphically explained. What I’m speaking about is more along the lines of Theon’s galley scene (on the way to Pyke) and Tyrion’s routine sexploits (just to name a few).

I just feel that it’s a bit uncalled for to read about someone’s “romp fest” - especially if it adds nothing to the overall story.

You know it's based on customs that existed IRL in several different cultures, right? Hell, in various parts of the middle ages up through the beginnning of the Enlightenment, some royal first couples had witnesses. Like, the King would boink the new Queen with a bunch of people watching.

While that may be true, it still seems unsettling, which is mainly in part for the complete lack of privacy and respect.

For what it's worth I think Where do whores go? is one of the best lines in the series. It's Perfect for Tyrion and his state of mind at that point. He's trying to use humor to distract himself from the fact that at that point he is kinda as screwed as he's ever going to be. And for the reader, it's funny but also sad, because it reminds us of all the love Tywin never had for Tyrion.

To be fair, I thought it was clever, but after seeing it as many times as I've seen it... I wish someone would just tell the poor bloke where whores go.

That people hate Cersie for the incest thing, but overlook it in Jamie. In Jamie it is just seen as a minor character flaw. In Cersie, it is evil personified.

For me my hate for him and the incest has lessened over time. I think now that we know just how manipulative Cersei is just cant seem to really hold it against Jaime also the fact that she was literally the only he was ever with makes me sympathize with him more to show how much he does truly love her and how great her power over him was. In other words she used it as a weapon and he did it because of love, at least IMO.

Archived