Small things that annoy you ?

TheLightning Lord

Jaime just admitted that he had been complicit in the worst abuse that Tywin ever committed against Tyrion. Nor was it only an one time thing, but instead he continued to lie to Tyrion about that event for around a decade. Furthermore, seeing how Jaime seems to be aware how Tyrion used to show appreciation towards him for hiring the "whore" while thinking it was him to screwed it up all up it easily looks to Tyrion like Jaime was willing bask in the benefits of his lie towards him.

Jaime deserved not only that but worse from Tyrion.

I suppose I will get stoned to death by y'all for this but honestly I thought that Tyrion would be glad that Tysha wasn't a whore and that she maybe really liked him. Of course Jaime didn't have a nice role in it but I guess that he didn't say it before because he was afraid of Tywin. Still I think it was nice of Jaime to say the truth eventually...

I suppose I will get stoned to death by y'all for this but honestly I thought that Tyrion would be glad that Tysha wasn't a whore and that she maybe really liked him. Of course Jaime didn't have a nice role in it but I guess that he didn't say it before because he was afraid of Tywin. Still I think it was nice of Jaime to say the truth eventually...

Well no. It just makes him feel worse about standing back and letting her be gangraped and then raping her himself. Before he knew he at least thought she had deceived him from the start, and so he could try to rationalise her 'punishment'

OMG someone else on this forum know shit-all about needlework! This is exciting to me!

And let’s not get started about how Tyene seemed to have been doing that kind of work in-hand without any kind of frame. While sitting on the floor.

Sansa’s new wardrobe did seem to include a lot of fancy work:

The lace and the embroidery with metal thread would probably be specialized work too.

Shall we talk about whether Myrish lace is bobbin or needle made? I wonder about that a lot.

Haha let's be friends! Yeah what is up with that?

Very fancy work! The metal thread is definitely a bit more of a pain than other floss. It makes me wonder why the Lannisters paid for such an expensive wardrobe for Sansa though, it seems unfitting.

I sort of think it's needle made, because it seems to be used more as a fabric than a trim... just my thoughts though.

Out of curiosity, when you imagine the clothes in ASOIAF is there a particular historical period you imagine, or do you visualize it the way the show has done them?

Haha let's be friends! Yeah what is up with that?

Very fancy work! The metal thread is definitely a bit more of a pain than other floss. It makes me wonder why the Lannisters paid for such an expensive wardrobe for Sansa though, it seems unfitting.

I sort of think it's needle made, because it seems to be used more as a fabric than a trim... just my thoughts though.

Out of curiosity, when you imagine the clothes in ASOIAF is there a particular historical period you imagine, or do you visualize it the way the show has done them?

Started us a thread. :blush:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/126901-needlework-textiles-clothing-in-asoiaf/

The idiotic irony of how evil the Targaryen slave lords were and how greedy they were and how they destroyed so many beautiful cities to get more slaves to get more gold and silver for themselves and Dany whines because she was bought! She was turned into a fucking Khaleesi and then a Queen and then a conquerer and she abandons the slaves she frees and keeps making more and more concessions about slavery, well,if you want to sell yourself into slavery that's ok. WTF!!

She's a hypocrite of the first order and I don't care how young she is. She's a little selfish bitch.

Yeah, the character who's spent her entire story trying to help people is selfish. :rolleyes:

A selfish character would have took the Unsullied and headed straight to Westeros to fight over a chair.

Also, i know it's an unpopular opinion but i find everything about Tyrion annoying.

Especially how often he whines about being ugly, he is so privileged yet he's constantly emo like a 15 y o girl.

I find annoying how often he is arroused in every chapter ( he found the gang rape of Tyshia arousing enough since he was able to perform his part)

His chapters about being in love with Shae were simply painful to read .

I really hope he dies the next book(it won't happen i know)

I know this is way back, but "privilege" (gag) doesn't mean that people don't have problems. People born into wealthy families can still deal with chronic pain, depression, guilt, and, something that I think is a huge part of Tyrion's character, the endless and hopeless desire to be loved. But I do actually like how you compared him to a teenage girl with low self-esteem, though, because I think that's exactly what his mentality is like. Part of his desire for sex is the desire to be touched, to have the whores pretend that he's desirable and something worth wanting, because he doesn't feel like he is. His father and sister have stomped his psyche so far into the ground with physical and psychological abuse that he feels he is absolutely nothing. He likes one thing about himself, his mind, and he clings to that like a security blanket because it's all he feels like he has. Yes, he's a horny young man and does what some horny young men do, but there's more to it than that. He even asked Shae to basically be his girlfriend, to pretend that he actually means something to her. It is pretty cringey that he actually gets swept up by it as he does, and I agree with you that those parts are difficult to read, but the meaning behind them is heartbreaking imo.

I can't defend the bit with Tysha, though. Sure, he may have felt like she was betraying him, but that's still no excuse. That was straight up wrong, and I think he knows it too, even before Jaime drops the truth bomb on him.

I find slightly annoying how often Catelyn is ready to define Edmure an idiot even after all the terrible mistakes she does, it's also ironic, reading her chapters i have the impression of reading a perfect idiotic bimbo who thinks too high of herself (i don't know if this was G.Martin intention).

Also, i know it's an unpopular opinion but i find everything about Tyrion annoying.

Especially how often he whines about being ugly, he is so privileged yet he's constantly emo like a 15 y o girl.

I find annoying how often he is arroused in every chapter ( he found the gang rape of Tyshia arousing enough since he was able to perform his part)

His chapters about being in love with Shae were simply painful to read .

I really hope he dies the next book(it won't happen i know)

Males cannot chose when to be aroused, the male body doesn't care whether sex is consensual or not.

Hmmm, I see a lot of complaining about the "pointless gratuitous descriptions of sex scenes", but not a lot of complaints from the same people regarding the gratuitous descriptions of violence and gore (of which there is A CRAP LOAD!!).

Kinda backwards don't you think?

Some of the fashion descriptions irritate me (as a fashion designer), just because of the innaccuracies.

So, just for example, "She was breaking her fast on a bowl of cold shrimp-and-persimmon soup when Irri brought her a Qartheen gown, an airy confection of ivory samite patterned with seed pearls." (Daenerys, ACoK). Samite is heavy twill silk with gold or silver thread. It's not going to be an "airy confection".

Or in AGoT, Old Nan "sat doing her needlework" but then later "Old Nan said with her stupid little smile, her needles moving all the while, click click click", so he's obviously mixed up needlework (embroidery) with knitting.

He makes the same mistake in AFfC, The Captain of the Gaurds "In one hand was a piece of embroidery she had been working on, in the other a pair of golden needles." Again, one doesn't use two needles for embroidery, so I think he's mixing up embroidery with knitting again.

Most writers get fabrics, sewing, and clothing incorrect anyway, and I know most people don't notice, but I always do and it irks me greatly.

Thats actually GREAT! Being myself a dork from university with PhD, I use to notice mistakes that other people don't and if I tell them, they'll be like: So what? Who cares about that?

So - I recommend you for noticing this and telling us, I think its brilliant someone cares about "small" things like that! :D

And what does get on my nerves? Actually, nothing like this. Well, I am annoyed by some characters' behaviour, but besides that... Perhaps "Where do whores go" - its just a little too repetative for me.

Noboby ever drinks water...And someone offers them water they're like "eww water,I'd sooner have wine"...The only person who drinks water willingly is Stannis!

Also they drink wine and ale for breakfast!!That's fucked up

I don't like Rheagal's color...I hate green,I wish he was blue or something

That's how people drank in real middleages...

Water was too polluted and had too much microbs... in that times alcohol drinks had much less alcohol % than today...

Stannis has to add salt to purify his water...

Thats actually GREAT! Being myself a dork from university with PhD, I use to notice mistakes that other people don't and if I tell them, they'll be like: So what? Who cares about that?

So - I recommend you for noticing this and telling us, I think its brilliant someone cares about "small" things like that! :D

And what does get on my nerves? Actually, nothing like this. Well, I am annoyed by some characters' behaviour, but besides that... Perhaps "Where do whores go" - its just a little too repetative for me.

I'm glad you appreciate it! What do you have a PhD in, out of curiosity? Some of us just have specialized interests, that others rarely pay attention to (:

Things that annoy me:

1. People insisting that Jon is going to be king.

2. The consistent mental gymnastics that people go through to excuse and absolve the Lannisters/Baratheons of their actions like they were forced to committ treason, kill kids, wear a crown, marry someone they don't like etc....

3. Characters being dumbed down to move the plot.

That's how people drank in real middleages...

Water was too polluted and had too much microbs... in that times alcohol drinks had much less alcohol % than today...

Stannis has to add salt to purify his water...

That's kind of a misconception, yes people in the middle ages didn't always trust water to be safe to drink, but generally people could tell the difference between water that was okay to drink and water that wasn't.

Indeed there were several notable theologians/philosophers in europe who encouraged people to drink more water and less beer.

People drank alcohol because they liked drinking things other than water, and few drinks other than water were non alcoholic.

Archived