Pillars of Eternity - Eat my Cipher!

Relic

Thanks for the advice, brought Raedric down by a combination of some nice spell use and cheese. The fight goes a lot easier if you simply stand in the hallway outside, start the fight and run back and then just fight the enemies in the doorway where only 2 of the melee characters can get to you. I then spammed summoned skeletons who cut their way through the magic-users with surprising ease. Eder with those buffs becomes near-unstoppable.

Thanks to that fight I hit Level 5 and am headed for Defiance Bay. I just met the arctic dwarf ranger woman with her fox to complete the party. I think I'm going to drop the mage when I find the druid, he's done sweet FA so far.

It's funny how it took me 20+ hours to realize just how crazy powerful my priest is. I tend to horde my spells in RPGs, saving them up for the big fights where I still don't cast my spells because I still might need them later. I finally decided to open up last night, and suddenly realized that:

1. Offensive priest spells have IFF transponders. Heck, there's one 2nd level spell that damages enemies while healing my NPCs.

2. Priest buffs last a really long time, especially with a 20 intellect.

3. The effects stack really well in combination with chants or Aloth's spells.

Healing turns out to be one of the least useful functions of the priest. I'm tempted to bring Durrance back into the party, now, just to see how effective two priests in tandem can be.

The only two healing spells worth a damn are the first level healing bubble that takes them out of the fight and consecrated ground. The first is useful for panic-saving one of your key fighters that just got hit by something totally unexpected (I need to see if it works on petrified allies...) and the second is really powerful (I think) because it requires your priest to stay in close. Any of the spells that require careful positioning to be most effective are incredibly overpowered if you get that positioning. Fan of Flames and Ectopsychic Echo both immediately spring to mind.

Consecrated ground is crazy powerful because it lasts forever. Being near the front rank is no problem - my standard tactic now is to form my tanks in a row up front, leading with slicken just beyond them while buffing and getting the first volley in with guns. Then the first rank switches to melee, and the wizard casts the DR-reducing spell, and my missile gunners blast any spellcasters to pieces. After that, Kana can usually start summoning, and it's all cleanup from there.

I'm actually thinking of giving Eder some fire-resistant equipment, let him tank in the middle, then spam a bunch of fire spells right behind him.

Consecrated ground is crazy powerful because it lasts forever. Being near the front rank is no problem - my standard tactic now is to form my tanks in a row up front, leading with slicken just beyond them while buffing and getting the first volley in with guns. Then the first rank switches to melee, and the wizard casts the DR-reducing spell, and my missile gunners blast any spellcasters to pieces. After that, Kana can usually start summoning, and it's all cleanup from there.

I'm actually thinking of giving Eder some fire-resistant equipment, let him tank in the middle, then spam a bunch of fire spells right behind him.

what difficulty are you playing on?

I'm on normal, and am still putzing around in Defiance Bay, so I probably haven't seen the really tough fights yet that require different tactics.

Yeah there are simply more creatures on Hard, and things can go form nice and tidy to total clusterfuck quicker than i can react to them (without spamming pause at least). It's rare that i get to execute my ideal formation. I did did the lighthouse boss fight and ended up going up against 4 shades, 4 specters, and the boss. took me 4 tries to get it down.

I talked my way out of the lighthouse boss fight, but I had a devil of a time on the first floor because I couldn't form up a defensive formation until I realized (1) how powerful my priest was, (2) plate mail offers crazy DR against both the shades cold attacks AND my own fire spells, and (3) duh, I have a sword with bonuses against spirits.

On the third act now. Have done everything bar the companion's missions and the 'The Master Below' quest (the quest in Od Nua).

Am I near the ending? I am level 7 (near level 8).

You haven't done everything, or even close to it. I'm level ~10 and I just hit Act III, and knowingly missed a few things You missed a ton of sidequests, it looks like. Most XP comes from quests, so if you're that low level, you're basically only doing the plot missions.

You haven't done everything, or even close to it. I'm level ~10 and I just hit Act III, and knowingly missed a few things You missed a ton of sidequests, it looks like. Most XP comes from quests, so if you're that low level, you're basically only doing the plot missions.

I have finished 16 side quests and 10 tasks. I haven't done a task and a quest in ondra's gift because all peasents try to kill me (apparently I agroed someone in one of the fights with the thugs and then had to kill a lot of the others because everyone was attacking me) and I know that I failed 2 quests (that with blood and the other after the duke was killed). As I said, I haven't done the companions sidequests, and these 4. Did everything else, or at-least everything that I found.

Saying that, I didn't had any problem in fights so far. I guess that level 7/8 for this part is enough. Read that if you play only the main story you will reach only level 8, and I am almost there, despite that I just started the third act.

Yes, if you do all of the side quests, you will out-level much of the content. Level 9 is a high step up: all 1st level spells of Druids, Priests and Wizards become per-encounter rather than per-rest and some of them are actually quite decent.

So, does merely accepting certain quests and tasks make the targets hostile?

I have engaged in a bit of ogricide in The Endless Paths and certain ogres had green circles when seen from stealth, but they turned red immediately after they noticed the party, there was no chance of talking to them, despite Kana saying that we should have been able to. Was it because I have already agreed to kill the matron? If so, it is a somewhat unfortunate and illogical decision - how would she know? Not that they all didn't need killing anyway...

And concerning the stronghold - would creating more mercs make auto-resolve go more favorably, or do only hirelings (which are allegedly bugged in the version I play) count? Are companions/mercs in the stronghold for those off-screen quests only?

And will the ogre I recruited at Dyrford Crossing show up eventually?

I haven't had a lot of time to play so still lvl 3. I hired a paladin so I could have a second tank bit not very impressed with the class. How are chanters as tanks? Thinking of making the new chanter the off tank.

I'm rather unsatisfied with the resolution to the "Blood Ties" quest.

So, my only choices are to either let a rapist bribe his way out off trouble, or to murder him in cold blood? I can't expose him or take him captive in my stronghold? Or, at the very least, refuse his bribe when sending him on his way?

The end result is the same, but from a role-playing perspective, that makes all the difference in the world.

Oh, and another thing - would high Perception have allowed my PC to discern when she is being lied to? So far, I have been falling for all the sob stories, but there is no way to verify them, it seems. Well, except for the one where I really should have known better.

Helig

. I wish I had more to go on than "well, it might have happened that way, and if it did, it would be dickish and unjust to kill/hand over these characters to prejudiced authorities".

Archived