Just how controversial was the Sansa chapter?

Harry was never described as a rapist.

Book Sansa has a hairnet full of poison she can use to dispose of Littlefinger whenever she wants.

GRRM left Sansa's motivations out of the prose. We don't know if she's acting out of loyalty to LF, if she's already planning to jump ship and needs the marriage for that, or something else.

Sansa has not fallen for Harry. Her attempts to seduce him seem more businesslike than romantic. She specifically doesn't like him.

Sansa asked him about his bastards. If she didn't like the answer, she shouldn't have asked.

She sold out her family out of willful ignorance (a recurring thing in Sansa's arc) and in order to become a Queen. Even when she's smitten with Joffrey, she keeps mentioning her becoming Queen in one way or another. And that's not something she could be blamed about. After all, turning into a Queen would put her atop the Westerosi food chain.

I am not calling Robert or Harry a rapist but she needs to be carefull how flirty she gets with anybody and especially where. Harry the Heir or whatever we want to call him does not know she is a highborn virgin, he just knows that she is the baseborn daughter of a very wealthy and influential man. Beautiful to boot. Sansa does seem to relish her relationship with Littlefinger, which is the most disturbing to me. This is probably because the poor girl has nowhere to go.

I love how this chapter was the one lauded as controversial, not the one where the 11 year old girl is groped by a perv and seduces and makes out with a much older sleazeball. Oh, and the word "rape" appears in every other sentence

Hahaha, me to. Like no one noticed that! If she was a 19 to up years old or something, ok, big whoop. But 11?? That chapter is just messed up... :bawl:

Sansa, as of Winds of Winter is what? 14 years old, the same age as Dany and Drogo are wed so, if the moment comes and sooner or later it will, Sansa will be bedded. I personally dread that. Why? Well, some of us still see her as Ned's 11 year old girl who, while she frustrates us, she brakes our hearts and we just want her safe and sound and also to have all of the truth/vengeance, especially regarding Littlefinger and all of his doings, suddenly be known to her at one time. Well, it does not work that way but if it did, what could she do? She is somewhat trapped in that she does not fully trust anyone, that is smart. However, look at her chapter in AFFC when the lords declarant come to the Eryie, she remembers Royce and thinks to herself, can he protect her?. She is looking for lifelines and the only one she has is to gain Littlefinger's trust, therefore she does everything he says and in return he makes her feel as comfortable as possible. This is especially creepy in that Littlefinger reminds me of Hembert Hembert in Lolita. I truly hope it does not get too far in that direction.

Not very controversial, though i did like the chapter.

When she looks for Little Finger in his solar and the window was left open and papers had blown onto the floor, I half expected her to see some very controversial info on one of the papers.

I could see how back in 2008 Sansa's sexuality could have been seen as controversial.

Though between the books there is no time gap for the characters, there is a time gap for me, so it's hard not to feel like the characters are older and maturer, even though they are not.

The show kind of freaks me out seeing in particular, ARYA and really Sansa, they gave us a visual to compare to the books and it is hard to believe that 4 years ago when first aired, Sophie Turner - Sansa was 13/14 and looked it and now she is a grown 19 year old woman. Kinda scarry.

Sansa, as of Winds of Winter is what? 14 years old, the same age as Dany and Drogo are wed so, if the moment comes and sooner or later it will, Sansa will be bedded. I personally dread that. Why? Well, some of us still see her as Ned's 11 year old girl who, while she frustrates us, she brakes our hearts and we just want her safe and sound and also to have all of the truth/vengeance, especially regarding Littlefinger and all of his doings, suddenly be known to her at one time. Well, it does not work that way but if it did, what could she do? She is somewhat trapped in that she does not fully trust anyone, that is smart. However, look at her chapter in AFFC when the lords declarant come to the Eryie, she remembers Royce and thinks to herself, can he protect her?. She is looking for lifelines and the only one she has is to gain Littlefinger's trust, therefore she does everything he says and in return he makes her feel as comfortable as possible. This is especially creepy in that Littlefinger reminds me of Hembert Hembert in Lolita. I truly hope it does not get too far in that direction.

Sansa/Alayne remaining a virgin is central to LF's plans. She can't get married until her current marriage ends, the easiest way would be an annulment. The easiest way to get that is to show the marriage was never consummated, the easiest way to prove that is Sansa/Alayne remains a virgin. I would say that her innocence is safe for a while yet.

Sansa/Alayne remaining a virgin is central to LF's plans. She can't get married until her current marriage ends, the easiest way would be an annulment. The easiest way to get that is to show the marriage was never consummated, the easiest way to prove that is Sansa/Alayne remains a virgin. I would say that her innocence is safe for a while yet.

Sure, I agree but when Tyrion dies, virgin or not, she can be remarried and I am contending that Littlefinger, wants to be her husband. What she inherits, he inherits etc. The creep factor with him is simply too evident. He is the one that wants to marry her and he cannot go that far until the marriage to Tyrion ends in annulment or Tyrion's confirmed death. Until then, I agree, she is safe.

The controversiality in the chapter was (in my opinion) how Sansa was very used to sexual desires, ... She doesn't feel really uncomfortable how men look at her in a sexual way, about speaking about sex, ... It is for becoming a normal thing.

This make me actually laugh very hard:"It might have been a sweeter courtesy had he not addressed it to her chest." She is more annoyed about this than surprised, uncomfortable in my opinion. And it was not the only witty remark of her in this chapter (It looks like Tyrion had a lasting influence on her :drunk:)

After readig CoK Sansa really became one of my favorite chapters. And I liked her in this chapter more than everywhere else.

On one side she is still the kind girl to the more weaker people like how she is acting toward to Wallace with his stammer.

On the other side however she is not anymore the girl surviving by using her courtesy as a shield. While she is courteous and graceful, she also make very direct remarks/no bullshit questions towards Conbray and Harry. I loved those remarks. She is started to sing other songs than her septa taught her. In her conversation she is saying things no other young ladies would say to her betrothed, things even LF would not enjoy. And I think it was at that time Harry became enchanted by her because she became somewhat an enigma(?)

• 2 weeks later...

Do you watch the HBO Show,? Sansa is played by Sophie Turner, Should be around episode 5 or 6. They have been warning people that it is not "pretty".

Oh, no, not lately. Carry on then. Sophie Turner is hot though, I don't mind saying.

Was this the controversial chapter? It seemed like something written in 2003 before feast came out.

I thought the controversial chapter might be actually crazy and not released as a sample,?

Also, why in the world would GRRM release a controversial chapter prior to the book launch? Wouldn't he want to keep that one in the wings to surprise readers? Doesn't make a ton of sense if indeed a "controversial" chapter even exists for her.

Archived