Which Gods Are Real?

A_Prince_of_Dorne

I'm not entirely convinced that none of them are real. Some might be real entities and whether or not they are gods would be up to interpretation. Is a Greenseer who can see the past present and future at will and control animals and speak and act through the animals and trees not a god? There are other strange and powerful beings in the world. There is something weird with the mysterious black stone structures in Lorath, Yi Ti, and other places (maybe the sea stone chair) The tunnels below Leng? If there are two mighty forces in the world that must be balanced (Fire and Ice) but the Red Priests personify them as gods are they not real? There may be no all powerful beings, but there are some powerful beings/forces on Planetos that are not fully explained.

I'm not entirely convinced that none of them are real. Some might be real entities and whether or not they are gods would be up to interpretation. Is a Greenseer who can see the past present and future at will and control animals and speak and act through the animals and trees not a god? There are other strange and powerful beings in the world. There is something weird with the mysterious black stone structures in Lorath, Yi Ti, and other places (maybe the sea stone chair) The tunnels below Leng? If there are two mighty forces in the world that must be balanced (Fire and Ice) but the Red Priests personify them as gods are they not real? There may be no all powerful beings, but there are some powerful beings/forces on Planetos that are not fully explained.

I would argue that it wouldn't make them "gods" persay, but I hear you

Like Martin stated in an interview: it is up to the readers to wonder about the validity of the various religions. Look at the real world analogue: we have many religions as well. Can anyone honestly say that some religions are more "real" than others? I think not and the same holds true for ASoIaF.

I'm essentially an atheist in real life, so naturally I'm tempted to be the same in ASoIAF. However, if I saw Thoros revive Beric I would seriously consider the validity of the Lord of Light. It's trickier, though, in a world where magic is present. It's a tough call.

I don't think the Seven are real at all; those seem like totally man-made deities. The old gods don't appear to be "gods" by definition either. I think the most likely one to exist is the Red God, though it's possible the Drowned God exists as well, though we have little "evidence" for that aside from maybe Patchface, though that is certainly questionable as well. Storm God and Great Other sound like they were invented to play as counterparts to the Red God and Drowned God.

1) Which ones you would like to be real?

The Lord of Harmony from Naath. The Great Shephard of the Lhazareen. And perhaps the gods of the Summer Isles.

2) Which one do we know is real for Westeros?

The only god who we know is real for the ASOIAF world is GRRM. And Natalia Tena. She's a goddess who used her power of bewitchment to make her metafictional avatar in-world younger... and she's a good singer too. ;)

3) Joking aside, are the main gods real?

Not until ASOIAF goes into public domain in 2140. Then everything is fair game.

2) Which one do we know is real for Westeros?

The only god who we know is real for the ASOIAF world is GRRM. And Natalia Tena. She's a goddess who used her power of bewitchment to make her metafictional avatar in-world younger... and she's a good singer too. ;)

Me and my paramour do love us some Natalia Tena ;)

Archived