To Watch or Not to Watch...

The Last Reyne

This is the question I find myself asking. I have enjoyed the series even with all the changes. But as the 5th season is about to start and we get closer to the point where the series moves beyond the books I find myself with a dilemma of sorts. Even with all the changes D&D are still planning to get to the general ending that George envisions. So I ask myself if I wouldn't be better off waiting until George finishes the series to fully enjoy all the theories and possibilities we have been writing and theorizing about or if should just watch, enjoy, and read when the books come out knowing the ending but enjoying the different.

I know I'm probably over thinking this whole thing and will probably watch but I would enjoy and appreciate hearing the thoughts of all of you.

I used to watch the show with the books in mind, until my husband refused to watch the show with me. So now I watch the show with the show in mind, and I read the books fully realising that they are different tellings of the same story. No fuss or confusion.

If you don't want to know the future of the characters story arcs before the books come out, don't watch the show.

I say it's better to be spoiled while enjoying the show! It sounds like the OP does enjoy the show, as do I, so I say watch, enjoy, and if going to be spoiled, get spoiled enjoying your show... not from accidentally hearing the ending from a friend, seeing it on a morning talk show, or reading it on Facebook.

id say watch the show. these boards were flooded with hopeful news of twow coming out this october but i wouldnt get my hopes up. who knows? maybe twow does come out in 2015 or maybe its early 2017 because martin scraps parts again. we could be looking at 2020 (or later) for ados. thats not to mention the whispers of the series lasting to 8 books too.

spoilers over this season and next might not be such a big deal because how the books and show reach their end game will likely be very different, but trying to avoid having the end game spoiled for you will be pretty tough. again, who knows how accurately the endings will match up too. i assume characters like jon, dany, tyrion and cersei will share the same endings, give or take, but theres still going to be A LOT of differences by the final result.

at this point, the show and the books are two very separate entities. enjoy the show while you wait for martin to wrap up the 'canon' version of the series. personally, id be pretty upset if i managed to avoid having things spoiled for a couple years only to have it spoiled by seeing a random internet message, having a friend or co-worker blurt something out or simply sitting next to someone whos talking about it at a restaurant or bar.

The problem is that you don't have much of a choice. This is the most popular TV series right now, and if big things happen in it, you'll almost certainly get spoiled. I'd rather getting spoiled only one medium rather than both.

Completely agree. Also, given how the show streamlines a huge amount of the story, there will be a lot of interesting stuff reserved just for those who read the books. I watched the show up till season 3 before picking up the books and it didn't detract from my enjoyment of reading the books at all.

I would still watch the show. The show cuts and changes a great deal, so I think that even though they've said they'll end up at the same basic ending GRRM has planned, it will be different enough between show and book that you can reasonably enjoy both. So far, even with the changes I think the show is good entertainment. There's things I dislike, but there's things that I really appreciate how they handled it, considering how much the showrunners have to cut to fit into 10 one-hour episodes a season.

I wouldn't miss the tv series for the world . . . now. However, at the point where the show passes beyond what George has already published, then I'm not so sure. I think I would quit watching and then hope like hell I didn't pick up any spoilers. I just don't want to know the end until I read it "from George's own pen"! I'd have to go into Solitary until TWOW and/or ADOS were published.

Watch it, they are still good. ADWD took Grrm forever and it had bad pacing. I wish he cut down on subplots and focused on the overarching plot. The show ignores Stoneheart, Aegon and Arriane not because of artistic licence but because they overcomplicate an already complicated story

Woah.... I think that is what attracted me to GoT in the first place was because there are little Easter eggs all over the place and it reels you in. The diversity of the cultures and people that married whom in the past and the houses and lore.... the show has always been very complex. However, now, the show has chosen an end and does not go deeper.... when it really could and should. Either with more episodes per season by cutting back in other ways on cost or killing the useless subplots in exchange for new and fresher plots.

Archived