Dornish Debaters: TV Edition [Book Spoilers]

Chebyshov

Can we discuss how D&D have seemed to have completely bought into (and played up) every single in-universe racist stereotype about the Dornish there is?

Like, this isn’t Dorne, this is what someone's racist grandmother in Lannisport thinks Dorne is like.

D&D are secret Oakhearts

Can we discuss how D&D have seemed to have completely bought into (and played up) every single in-universe racist stereotype about the Dornish there is?

Like, this isn’t Dorne, this is what someone's racist grandmother in Lannisport thinks Dorne is like.

This is completely true. A one-dimensional enemy. One of the ways around this is to flesh out the characters more. They have chosen not to do this. Dorne is a plot device for King's Landing, Cersie and Jamie.

This is completely true. A one-dimensional enemy. One of the ways around this is to flesh out the characters more. They have chosen not to do this. Dorne is a plot device for King's Landing, Cersie and Jamie.

Even in Dorne, the Lannisters have to be the main characters.

I have a question. In the book chapter The Captain Of Guards, Tyene Sand speaks with Prince Doran and makes a comment of "if you become afraid you may forget to breathe" then it said "SHE RAISED A HAND..........................."

Then Areo slams his axe and says she PRESUMES and tells her to step down.

I seriously do not understand what that was about. She did not seem threatening..... and after that, she knelt and asked for a blessing and said she meant no harm. Then the maester goes up and inspects Doran's hand looking for scratches.

Can anyone explain maybe what this was about?

Tyene's a little sneak. She had needles in hand (from her stitch-work), and she knows a lot about poisons, so there's an idea that her "hands are dangerous" because she can like, off you without drawing much attention. Her weapon is her innocent, unassuming demeanor that allows her to pull shit like that if she wanted (aka scratch you with a poison-coated needle).

Tyene's a little sneak. She had needles in hand (from her stitch-work), and she knows a lot about poisons, so there's an idea that her "hands are dangerous" because she can like, off you without drawing much attention. Her weapon is her innocent, unassuming demeanor that allows her to pull shit like that if she wanted (aka scratch you with a poison-coated needle).

Holy crap I never thought of this but it makes perfect sense. You are indeed wise and have paid close attention! Thanks :)

I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE WAS TRYING TO ASSASSINATE DORAN RIGHT THERE ON THE THRONE!!!!

Holy crap I never thought of this but it makes perfect sense. You are indeed wise and have paid close attention! Thanks :)

I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE WAS TRYING TO ASSASSINATE DORAN RIGHT THERE ON THE THRONE!!!!

Well she wasn't...they were just worried she could have, lol.

Talking like Tyene, are we? :P

Man, I'd rather have a decent Tyene on the show than all the other Sand Snakes

Tyene is... complicated. She seems to have more respect for her uncle than the other two. She didn't insult him to his face either and I think she honestly agreed of do what he asked her too, as long she had something to do to avenge Dorne and her dad.

And... IDONTWANNAGOTHEREBUT... Tyene is not exactly a "woman of action" type. Neither is Sarella/Alleras. Yeah, she's skilled with her bow but she's mostly posing as a guy to have an education. If Tyene knows a lot about potions as her father I assume she's rather clever. But alas... Saralle hasn't been cast and Tyene's brains weren't either...

Elia will be, of course, because she likes to fight, ride horses and she's very horny at the moment.

Tyene is... complicated. She seems to have more respect for her uncle than the other two. She didn't insult him to his face either and I think she honestly agreed of do what he asked her too, as long she had something to do to avenge Dorne and her dad.

And... IDONTWANNAGOTHEREBUT... Tyene is not exactly a "woman of action" type. Neither is Sarella/Alleras. Yeah, she's skilled with her bow but she's mostly posing as a guy to have an education. If Tyene knows a lot about potions as her father I assume she's rather clever. But alas... Saralle hasn't been cast and Tyene's brains weren't either...

Elia will be, of course, because she likes to fight, ride horses and she's very horny at the moment.

Yep, but in the show they're all "women of action", because for D&D "strong female characters" are literally strong female characters. Or bitchy. I imagine Mladen trying to explain to D&D how Sansa's strength is internal and lies in her endurance and all that, and D&D just staring back with a confused look on their faces

The Snakes (and Arianne) are SO interesting, and strong powerful women.

I don't like that the issue of "can a woman lead" in a Royal capacity is not being explored. The Snakes are like rabid window dressing of rage, and a few of them seem like complete dullards and without any facets. Obara makes the wonderful quote of "girl or boy, we fight our battles but the gods let us choose our weapons" and it seems totally neutered.

That Ellaria is all commanding them and is the leader their insipid rage over Oberyn is an affront almost to the story. The "threat" package sent to King's Landing was also very over-the-top. They were flat out threatening the life of Myrcella but in the book they are both protecting her AND trying to put her in power.... Arianna wants to use THAT as a platform for her own emergence to power after Doran instead of the YOUNGER MALE child, her brother Quentyn.

None of these people are even IN the show. All of this is simply truncated.

Maybe it's just cause her patience had run dry in the cell but Tyene wasn't that respectful with Doran in ADWD. And her poisons are still in, the actress has made clear. Again, with Tyene they might still make it so that she's partially going along with it because of her mother. She's only had one scene so far but they'll be in the episode from 4 onwards.

They cannot seriously be making Trystane, Areo and Doran the good Dornish (with no secret plans up their sleeves) and Ellaria, Tyene, Obara and Nymeria the bad Dornish. They can't be that dumb.

They cannot seriously be making Trystane, Areo and Doran the good Dornish (with no secret plans up their sleeves) and Ellaria, Tyene, Obara and Nymeria the bad Dornish. They can't be that dumb.

They are that dumb. But in this case, I do think they’re keeping in some kind of secret plan with Doran. If I have to guess it’s Trystane being betrothed to Daenerys all theses years. But they have a very robust track record of their dumb decisions being even worse than I imagined, so I guess we’ll see.

Just a warning to everyone: I will not be responsible for any of my words or actions for a 24 hour period afterwards if they give any of Arianne’s lines from The Princess in the Tower to that boy band member with visible baby chest hair.

Just a warning to everyone: I will not be responsible for any of my words or actions for a 24 hour period afterwards if they give any of Arianne’s lines from The Princess in the Tower to that boy band member with visible baby chest hair.

They're probably also going to give some of Arianne's lines to Arys to Myrcella. But let's prep you:

Doran: "Be that as it may. Lord Tywin is howling down in hell... where thousands more will soon be joining him, if your folly turns to war. Is that what you want?”

Trys: “I want my cousins freed [assuming they got locked up]. I want my uncle avenged. I want...TO WED.”

Doran: “To wed?”

Trys: “Myrcella.”

Doran: “You will wed Mrycella soon enough. Are you so anxious to have sex?”

Tyrs: “You have been trying to rid yourself of her for days.”

Doran: “That is not true.”

Trys: “No? Then why won't you make arrangements?”

Doran: “Wedding planning is difficult.”

Trys: “You do lie well, Father, I will grant you that. You did not so much as blink. You don't mean for me to marry Myrcella.”

Doran: “Where did you get that notion?”

NUANCE.

Trys: Father, please... I'm Dornish. Of course I've had sex. Don't you see I wear my uncle's loose brothel clothes?

Oh of course, it was an implied "sex with Myrcella." Because we know Lannisters are pure AF. Trys probably lives in a brothel too, and all the prostitutes love his chest hair.

Archived