Dornish Debaters: TV Edition [Book Spoilers]

Chebyshov

Not a whole lot to say about Dorne yet by the first episode, but in the preview for next week it looks like Dorne should take up a good number of scenes, between Doran and Ellaria talking and Cersei being pissed about her daughter being in Dorne. Seems like we'll either at least find out the details of why Jaime goes there, or better yet, he'll be quick and set off for there in the same episode.

Maybe Tristayne or whatever will take Quentyn's role. The "dragon taming" scene was great and I wanna see it happen on screen.

It doesn't really lead to anything though, which seems to the criteria for whether or not something is included in the show.

It just shows that the dragons are dangerous, Doran is an idiot, and that the Dany-Martell alliance is likely not going to happen. All these three things can be illustrated through other means, however.

I'm still hoping against hope that they make give Trystane Aegon's parts, which is much more significant than Quentyn's storyline.

It doesn't really lead to anything though, which seems to the criteria for whether or not something is included in the show.

It just shows that the dragons are dangerous, Doran is an idiot, and that the Dany-Martell alliance is likely not going to happen. All these three things can be illustrated through other means, however.

I'm still hoping against hope that they make give Trystane Aegon's parts, which is much more significant than Quentyn's storyline.

I doubt Trystane will receive Aegon's parts. Remember, they have two more seasons to do after this. My prediction is that Daenerys invasion of Westeros will be center-focus next year. They don't need Young Griff to do that on the show. Just do Tommen vs Stannis vs Daenerys vs ????.

Imma gonna leave your comments about the Martell boys alone for now.... you’re welcome. :cheers:

Giving Trystane Aegon’s part is the stupidest thing they could possibly do, which is the most convincing argument that it will actually happen, at this point. I know it’s cynical, but as a predictive tool, it’s worked for four seasons so far.

That would require one hell of a surgery, especially by Westerosi standards.

Our first introduction to Dorne this season was through a mole on a guy's ass. There is no way they will treat Dorne with the due respect they deserve. It will be as cartoonish as is Loras' sexuality.

As cartoonish as Indira Varma’s “latin” accent.

As cartoonish as the portrayal of Oberyn’s sexuality.

As cartoonish as show!Marg’s “seduction” of Tommen.

I’m sure we can come up with a hell of a lot more of these smilies.

To be fair, the Sand Snakes in the books are cartoonish to begin with.

I think that their literary function in the book is for their simplistic way of thinking to be directly and unfavourably contrasted to Arianne and Doran and their very complicated, morally considered, and nuanced approach to the same issue (revenge). They’re there so Doran can tell them to shut the fuck up and Arianne can blush with embarrassment, basically.

Making them the focal point of the Dorne plot is just SO ass backward. It’s like making Pride and Prejudice about Lydia Bennet. It is that bad.

As I see it, we're not supposed to cheer for the Sand Snakes. They represent vengeance for the sake of it, rushing foolishly into battle without thinking, which is what Arianne did before she and Doran had their conversation. Arianne changed and has become more cautious: she has grown, which is something expected of a well developed character. The SS are, otoh, there to break chaos. Oberyn kinda died because he was impulsive. Idem for Quentyn.

The key scene to understand the Snakes in in Dance, when the skull is presented. They want blood and they don't care whose blood is as long as the Lannister bleed at the end. Doran wants blood too but he at least admits and accepts he has personal reasons (Elia, and now Oberyn) so he needs to be careful to not drag Dorne into his personal vendetta. That's why he acts with so much caution, he needs to be sure the fight is worthy and he will win so his people won't die for nothing. Nevertheless, they all want vengeance and payback, while Ellaria is very much George RR Martin's voice: "where does it end?". If D&D make the Snakes (and Ellaria) the characters we're meant to see as right while Doran is wrong, I don't think they got the whole Dornish arc right. Yes, I understand many readers don't like Doran's passive actions, but that's kinda the point. No one likes to wait years to have a revenge, but Doran's revenge is not something he will do alone. That's how he's different from other Lords: Tywin pillaged the Riverlands, Jon Arryn dragged half the Kingdom to rebel. Doran is not like that, he's the only Lord who actually cared about his people above his pride.

As I see it, we're not supposed to cheer for the Sand Snakes.

I don't think we're supposed to cheer for anyone. A major point in asoiaf imho is that you can decide that yourself, since there are many grey characters.

But essentially you're right, the Sand Snakes aren't really "good guys". But then again, not many are (left) in the novels.

But it was never as simplistic as "vengeance" for her. It was never mostly about vengeance. And I'm going to defend it to the death that those were logical assumptions to make.

Oh, come on... don't kill me. Arianne made a lot of wrong assumptions before and even after her plan (before she and Doran had THE TALK). When you're a princess you can't assume things. She also thought a lot with her heart rather than her head.

But it was never as simplistic as "vengeance" for her. It was never mostly about vengeance. And I'm going to defend it to the death that those were logical assumptions to make.

The QM was far from perfect, although I would argue it was at least as well thought out as Quentyn-gate, probably more, and it any case it was a final, desperate attempt to prevent what she saw as losing everything, but it was NEVER primarily about revenge for Arianne. Which is why I find this idea that Ellaria is taking on her role so offensive.

And even before the QM, her way of thinking and the Sand Snakes way of thinking was night and day. And I think it’s quite analogous to how Oberyn and Doran reacted after Robert’s Rebellion. The first in each set were “They spilt our blood and now we must spill theirs as soon and as spectacularly as possible”. The second in each set (Doran and Arianne) were “I have a very specific goal I want to achieve (revenge on the very specific people who harmed my sister/securing my threatened birthright and not actually harming my father) and I will wait until my personal goal aligns with my geo-political responsibilities before acting”.

And yeah, Arianne might think with her heart (and Doran doesn’t, seriously?) but she doesn’t act with it. Not in “public” matters, anyway. I really don’t see how you can say that when she literally spends pages and pages thinking about stuff before she does anything.

Archived