What's up with House Blackwood?

Chilli

This isn't a complete list, but it shows that quite a lot of the prominent noble houses in the south are of First Men descent, although they have certainly intermarried with Andals and have taken much of the Andal culture(including Faith of the Seven, Written & Spoken Language, Ironworking) for their own. I did not consider other influences like rhoynish, valyrian influences.

First Men Houses in the Vale: Royce, Redfort, Hunter, Belmore, Coldwater, Shett, Upcliff. Andal Houses: Arryn, Waynwood, Templeton, Grafton, Corbray, Tollett,

Riverlands FM: Tully, Blackwood, Bracken, Mooton, Darry, Piper?

Andals: Vypren, Frey?, Mallister?

Westerlands FM: Lannister(!?), Crakehall, Banefort, Plumm, Farman, Greenfield, Foote, Westerling, Broom, Moreland, Yew, Hawthorne, Andals: Marbrand, Lydden, Jast, Serrett, Brax, Lefford, Sarsfield, Kyndall, Parren, Droxe,

Reach FM: Hightower, Redwyne, Florent, Rowan, Oakheart, Fossoway, Tarly, Bulwer, Crane, Beesbury, Andal: Tyrell, Cuy, Roxton, Orme, Leygood, Graceford, Varner, Uffering,

Stormland/Crownland FM: Tarth, Estermont, Massey, Swann, Caron, Andal: Dondarrion, Bar Emmon,

Dorne FM: Yronwood, Fowler, Dayne, Wyl,Wade, Shell, Andal: Uller, Qorgyle, Vaith, Allyrion, Jordayne, Santagar, Martell

Nice list. Tarth is implied to be an Andal house though unless Galladon isnt a founding member of the house, which means they could also have been founded at the time the Andals and First Men were heavily mixed.

On the Blackwoods, I used to like them, but it has always annoyed me that GRRM has a bias when it comes to certain houses. The world book made the Blackwoods out to be Mary Sues, with the Brackens becoming perennial scumbags.

On the Blackwoods, I used to like them, but it has always annoyed me that GRRM has a bias when it comes to certain houses. The world book made the Blackwoods out to be Mary Sues, with the Brackens becoming perennial scumbags.

We're told Maester Yandel was a foundling, raised in the Citadel, but maybe he's a secret Blackwood. Or just had lots of Blackwood sources or friends that he relied on in writing the book. Isn't it great/annoying that the unreliable narrator can be used to excuse so many of GRRM's literary sins?

• 4 months later...
[quote name="The Weirwoods Eyes" post="6919272" timestamp="1429362596"]

So if she is a Blackwood bastard then that seems to link the idea that they have strong seer genes. Another interesting thing is the woman in Brans vision at the end of ADWD, she is heavy with child (As was Alys, which is another reason I think they are both Blackwoods I think GRRM is linking the two women in our minds by giving them very similar appearances.) and rises out of the pool at Winterfell praying for a son to avenge her.  I think she is Mellantha Blackwood, wife of Willam Stark, mother to Jocelyn & Edwyle. I think she is praying for a son because after Willams death his brother Artos is trying to usurp her childrens inheritance of Winterfell. This works if Jocelyn is the older and the baby in her belly is Edwyle.

[quote name="The Weirwoods Eyes" post="6919272" timestamp="1429362596"]

Personally i doubt Artos would try to usurp Winterfell because 1) We know Artos was really pissed when Willam died. So it would be weird if he tried to take WF from Willam's children. 2) Why would you build a statue of a man who tried to take WF from it's rightful lord?

The Starks and the Blackwoods do seem to have a lot of historic connections. It would be interesting if the Blackwoods began to play a larger role in the upcoming books, however, I find that doubtful.

I do want to say that no one bloodline has a monopoly on greenseeing/warging/skinchanging. Perhaps some are more disposed to such ability but it seems to me more like a random occurrence amongst those with FM blood. Greenseers are also extremely rare even amongst CotF and especially within humans.

We're told Maester Yandel was a foundling, raised in the Citadel, but maybe he's a secret Blackwood. Or just had lots of Blackwood sources or friends that he relied on in writing the book. Isn't it great/annoying that the unreliable narrator can be used to excuse so many of GRRM's literary sins?

:laugh:  :rolleyes:

He's the author.... If he constantly used bad grammar or under developed his plotlines or major characters, e.g. , I suppose those would be literary sins .. but ..he's being unfair to the Brackens , and favouring the Blackwoods...?!?!???

Oh one last thought (really this time) Walder Frey has 5 children by his 4th wife Alyssa Blackwood. I'd watch those Blackwood blooded Frey's for signs of any abillity I think. 

They can probably skinchange with ferrets.

Archived