Blackwood>Bracken?

Skinner

Well,one might say Yandel would want to shed possitive light on a family related to:

• the King (through Black Betha,though given the Robert's attitude towards his Targaryen lineage,I wouldn' t think it most profitable)
  • the Warden of the North and official Royal BFF (Melantha,a friendship with Lord Tytos plus a definite Tully connection)
  • the lord Paramount of the Trident (no textual proof,but given the Tully pro-alliance-by-marriage policy highly likely)

It also seems the Blackwoods have sided with the stronger side most of the time and history loves winners.

Lemon,

What you say is reasonable, but the Blackwood favoritism is also present in the series and in D&E. The Brackens are the ones who sided with the foreign invaders (the Hoares), the rebel usurpers (Blackfires) and traitors (Freys/Lannisters). When in Jaime's chapter we met Lord Jonos and Lord Tytos, even thoug we are looking at both through a Lannister POV, it's clear who is the author's favorite.

Lemon,

What you say is reasonable, but the Blackwood favoritism is also present in the series and in D&E. The Brackens are the ones who sided with the foreign invaders (the Hoares), the rebel usurpers (Blackfires) and traitors (Freys/Lannisters). When in Jaime's chapter we met Lord Jonos and Lord Tytos, even thoug we are looking at both through a Lannister POV, it's clear who is the author's favorite.

Oh I know there is a Blackwood favoritism in the text,in fact I can't help but favor them myself.I only point out the possibilities to be the devil's advocate,if you will.

In fact,I have an admittedly crackpot-ish theory about the feud here,in case you are interested.

The brackens(bittersteel) are the honor side and the blackwoods(bloodraven) are the "ends justify the means" as far as I see it the backwoods are only favorited because we know they com it on top in the end. I go braken and I know I am far in the minority

when i read ADWD i got a sense that the Blackwoods were more respected than the Brackens. From Jaimes encounters with both Lords. our first meeting with Jonos Bracken, hes in bed with a camp whore. while being in a siege for weeks on end. then we meet Tytos Blackwood. He and Jaime are able to hold a meeting about ending the siege. he spoke to Jaime calmly and collected while Jonos was loud and had a resentful tone about it all.

The Blackwood/Bracken blood feud is one-sided, that much is clear. By most accounts in the text House Blackwood has been portrayed as noble, dignified and generally benevolent stewards of the Blackwood Vale. House Bracken, in comparison, is seen as grasping, bitter and sometimes even downright treacherous. When examining the text you see a pattern of constant antagonizing by the Brackens against the Blackwoods who they obviously have an intense jealousy over.

Out of the several dastardly deeds of the Brackens I'd have to say Lord Lothar Bracken's betrayal of Lady Agnes Blackwood during the deciding battle of the Riverlands' stand against the invading Ironborn forces. This single act of treason lead to all the riverlords being subjugated by House Hoare for three generations and all the horrors that they laid upon the lords and smallfolk alike. All of this just so Lothar could take a cheap shot in the back of Lady Blackwood and her cavalry. He wrongfully calculated that with the Stormlords driven from the Kingdom of the Rivers that a power vacuum would occur and he'd be able to fill it and take control of the shattered kingdom. Of course Harwyn Hardhand had other plans however and had Lord Bracken starved to death.

But this is the real question, if it is known that Lothar Bracken betrayed the Grand Alliance of the River Kings against the Ironborn, then why were the Brackens ever allowed to hold any influence or sway in that region ever again? You would think all the other noble houses of the Riverlands would shun the Bracken brood, no?

But this is the real question, if it is known that Lothar Bracken betrayed the Grand Alliance of the River Kings against the Ironborn, then why were the Brackens ever allowed to hold any influence or sway in that region ever again? You would think all the other noble houses of the Riverlands would shun the Bracken brood, no?

Maybe for a time,but in the end powerful house is still a powerful house and an alliance with it treasured.

Just had a thought I at least found interesting: while GRRM seems to have obvious Blackwood bias, maybe there's something about how they conduct themselves in relation to the Brackens that informs such bias. As in, I'm 'biased' towards industrial democracies compared to the sultans of the Middle East or the Premier of China. Extrapolating the thought, perhaps this is why there also seems to be a 'bias' towards Starks and Targs compared to Andal houses. A more formalized/bureaucratized version of "the Starks look for courage and loyalty and honor in the men they choose to serve them." :dunno:

Does anyone have a feeling that the Blackwoods have many more memorable and just overall portrayed in a more sympathetic light than the Brackens, at least in the World Book?

Here are some comparisons:

Benjicot Blackwood- A freaking eleven year old that competently led an army during the Dance of Dragons

No comparison

Melissa Blackwood- Aegon IV's mistress that birthed Bloodraven, loved by everyone at court, even the queen

vs.

Barba and Bethany Bracken- Sisters, both Aegon IV's mistresses, One was forcefully sent away from court, one was executed

And of course, even though they are only half...

Brynden "Bloodraven" Rivers- Badass spymaster, worked (like Varys) "for the good of the realm", sent to the wall and became Lord Commander, survived into ASOIAF

vs.

Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers- An admittably great swordsman, rebel and traitor, never gave up

I just thought that the Blackwoods and Brackens were equally stupid for their feud, but it appears not.

How is Bethany Bracken not sympathetic? Her story is heartbreaking. Poor girl.

Archived