Jon's father isn't Ned or Rhaegar: a serious contender for Jon's real parentage

ReturnofHodor

I hereby dub this theory as B+L=J.

Something I never understood about Ned and Catelyn was the fact that Ned would never even tell his own wife about Jon's true parentage. Suppose Rhaegar and Lyanna really were Jon's parents as theorized. Catelyn would have treated Jon much more kindly if Ned told Catelyn the truth, and Jon would have never needed to suffer as a result. Jon didn't deserve to go through the abuse he did and Ned is responsible for allowing that. Is Ned really that bad of a person? I don't think so.

I think the real truth must have been something much worse than that. Something that would have completely crushed Catelyn to the very core. And it had to have been something involving her children.. but then, who out of her children could have fathered Jon? After all, admittedly, none of them were old enough to. But we know that one child CAN travel in time now: Bran.

My guess is that in the next two books, Bran will even gain the ability to influence past events with his physical body as he is a prodigy. And he will meet Lyanna, comfort her during her loneliness, charm her and make love to her, as she had been kidnapped by the creep Rhaegar. Bran would have also been the only one to be able to travel to the Tower of Joy and avoid the Kingsguard members, via weirwood trees.

Targaryens have done worse in the past. GRRM would have no problem writing something like this.

I fully expect this to be a serious contender among theories on Jon's real parentage until it's actually revealed. I look forward to seeing the debates that will follow!

Or, far more realistically

Lyanna said something along these lines to Ned, as she laid dying

"Promise me you will take care of him Ned, promise me you will tell no one the truth, that you will raise him as your own, watch over him, and keep him safe."

And of course, raising him as "Snow" and letting him join the nights watch as ned goes to the other side of the continent might feel like he broke that promise, hence the nightmares in kings landing in book 1.

Tin foil

Bran can see in time; he can't travel in time though. Bloodraven makes a point of it to tell Bran that he may whisper all he likes through the weirwood in WF's godswood in the past...but they won't hear him. The past is set and can't be altered. It's a fantasy series, not science fiction, so no on the time paradox stuff.

Secondly, there's no weirwoods in Dorne. The most southern living weirwoords seem to be on the Isle of Faces. Most even in the Riverlands are dead and have been burned down. Weirwood trees (the means of communication in the present alone) are only still present in the North.

Thirdly: Bran's a kid who's not even sexually mature.

The whole the statutory incest aspect of this seems off for a Stark storyline.

When Ned made his promise he had spent enough time with Cat to get her preggers and that's about it. If Lyanna asked Ned to promise not tell even Cat, I could easily see him saying yes. And of course he would stick to any promise.

Plus I never really got the sense Ned was all that in love with Cat. The reverse for sure after Ned died. But I don't remember much that told me Ned was doing much more than duty by being with her

Just stop with these topics, find a hobby until winds of winter comes out lol. I'm aching as well, hence I have taken up mortal kombat

I feel your pain but enough is enough gen asoiaf, your trolling is becoming far too intricate

As time goes on, these theories are getting more and more ridiculous. With all due respect, I'm fairly certain this will not be a serious contender for Jon Snow's parentage. It's interesting, I'll give you that, but I feel that maybe you're letting your imagination run wild.

As well, Bran can only LOOK through time, and only through weirwoods. I don't imagine many weirwoods grow in Dorne, let alone in a tower. So no, don't expect many people to give credence to this theory. I'm sorry.

As time goes on, these theories are getting more and more ridiculous. With all due respect, I'm fairly certain this will not be a serious contender for Jon Snow's parentage. It's interesting, I'll give you that, but I feel that maybe you're letting your imagination run wild.

As well, Bran can only LOOK through time, and only through weirwoods. I don't imagine many weirwoods grow in Dorne, let alone in a tower. So no, don't expect many people to give credence to this theory. I'm sorry.

I don't want to seem like I'm making the case for this theory cause I'm not. But I don't think Lyanna was in the TOJ for all 9 months. That be pretty stupid to leave her in the same place that long especially if Rhaegar was there with her at some point. So she didn't have to get knocked up in Dorne. Unless that was established and I missed it

I don't want to seem like I'm making the case for this theory cause I'm not. But I don't think Lyanna was in the TOJ for all 9 months. That be pretty stupid to leave her in the same place that long especially if Rhaegar was there with her at some point. So she didn't have to get knocked up in Dorne. Unless that was established and I missed it

No it wasn't established, it was just conjecture from my part. You make a good point. Lyanna probably couldn't be there for 9 months. If this theory of R + L = J is correct, Rhaegar may have impregnated Lyanna somewhere during the 'kidnapping'. It's stated that Robert's Rebellion lasted 'close to a year', so if Rhaegar had impregnated Lyanna the night he kidnapped her, she would have given birth near the end of the Rebellion. If she is indeed Jon Snow's mother, the boy was certainly born in Dorne. Bran, however, (and I can't believe I actually have to state this), is not the father.

I hereby dub this theory as B+L=J.

Something I never understood about Ned and Catelyn was the fact that Ned would never even tell his own wife about Jon's true parentage. Suppose Rhaegar and Lyanna really were Jon's parents as theorized. Catelyn would have treated Jon much more kindly if Ned told Catelyn the truth, and Jon would have never needed to suffer as a result. Jon didn't deserve to go through the abuse he did and Ned is responsible for allowing that. Is Ned really that bad of a person? I don't think so.

I think the real truth must have been something much worse than that. Something that would have completely crushed Catelyn to the very core. And it had to have been something involving her children.. but then, who out of her children could have fathered Jon? After all, admittedly, none of them were old enough to. But we know that one child CAN travel in time now: Bran.

My guess is that in the next two books, Bran will even gain the ability to influence past events with his physical body as he is a prodigy. And he will meet Lyanna, comfort her during her loneliness, charm her and make love to her, as she had been kidnapped by the creep Rhaegar. Bran would have also been the only one to be able to travel to the Tower of Joy and avoid the Kingsguard members, via weirwood trees.

Targaryens have done worse in the past. GRRM would have no problem writing something like this.

I fully expect this to be a serious contender among theories on Jon's real parentage until it's actually revealed. I look forward to seeing the debates that will follow!

Not necessarily. Your missing one crucial point, which is Ned and Cat were recently married. He hardly knew her, and he likely did not trust her as much as he does when we she her in GoT.

Thirdly: Bran's a kid who's not even sexually mature.

More important than that, is that Bran most likely can't even have children. I don't know exactly where the quote is, but Ned says something along the lines of Bran never being able to hold his own sons some day.

I fully expect this to be a serious contender among theories on Jon's real parentage until it's actually revealed.

My god, are you being serious?

This really might be one of the more out-there crackpot theories that I have seen.

More important than that, is that Bran most likely can't even have children. I don't know exactly where the quote is, but Ned says something along the lines of Bran never being able to hold his own sons some day.

Bran. You will never father children, but you will have crazy sex orgies throughout the time.

I'm impressed that no one else has thought of this yet. I think I'm really onto something here.

No it wasn't established, it was just conjecture from my part. You make a good point. Lyanna probably couldn't be there for 9 months. If this theory of R + L = J is correct, Rhaegar may have impregnated Lyanna somewhere during the 'kidnapping'. It's stated that Robert's Rebellion lasted 'close to a year', so if Rhaegar had impregnated Lyanna the night he kidnapped her, she would have given birth near the end of the Rebellion. If she is indeed Jon Snow's mother, the boy was certainly born in Dorne. Bran, however, (and I can't believe I actually have to state this), is not the father.

Rhaegar couldn't have ever impregnated Lyanna since Rhaegar wouldn't cheat on his wife. That would have been really wrong.

I am not a medical expert, but I am pretty sure that paraplegics can have children, although admittedly having them without artificial help is significantly more difficult, but possible.

Thought I would add that....

I am not a medical expert, but I am pretty sure that paraplegics can have children, although admittedly having them without artificial help is significantly more difficult, but possible.

Thought I would add that....

Some can, others can not. My point was that Ned's thoughts imply that Bran can not.

Archived