What if Jon Snow chose to be Jon Stark

The main issue with Stannis legitimising Jon is that he's going to expect him to bend the knee, the North wants to be independent they're not going to accept a Southern king so easily especially when Robb and Cat died for this cause.

Also Mel comes into play as well, what if she expects Jon to burn the trees and follow her religion? The North is heavily patriarchal and xenophobic, they're not going to listen to a woman especially one that is foreign.

So a number of issues arise for Jon receiving legitimacy from Stannis:

1. He can't call himself King in the North
  2. The North will owe Stannis
  3. Stannis or at least his men will expect mass conversion

Jon made the right call by not accepting Stannis' offer tbh.

If Jon fid accept stannis's offer and became jon stark; jons adwd chapters would've been even cooler. I think it would've been so could to see how people reacted to Jon being lord of winterfell. If he accepted he would be the second most powerful man in stannis army after stannis.

It's just a Shame because it would've taken the story to a really fun, cool, interesting pass.

Jon would be trapped in the Ice with Stannis or would of been assassinated much earlier. Either way, despite screaming at him to accept, I don't see how it could end well. A pre-existing legitimate Stark is far more valuable to the GNC, if there is a GNC, that is. The legitimization of a bastard could be considered a desperate act of a weak cause. See; Bolton.

To those saying Jon would have to convert and burn WF godswood, it's perfectly plausible that if Jon came back to Stannis saying he'd accept but those two are deal breakers, Stannis would relent. Considering Stannis' current arrangement w the mountain clans I doubt he'd have much of a problem....after grinding his teeth.

By accepting Stannis he would have done a very unStark thing and by becoming officially a Stark he would be betraying the Spirit of the Starks.

The castle is always empty… Even the ravens are gone from the rookery, and the stables are full of bones. That always scares me. I start to run then, throwing open doors, climbing the tower three steps at a time, screaming for someone, for anyone. And then I find myself in front of the door to the crypts. It’s black inside, and I can see the steps spiraling down. Somehow I know I have to go down there, but I don’t want to. I’m afraid of what might be waiting for me. The old Kings of Winter are down there, sitting on their thrones with stone wolves at their feet and iron swords across their laps, but it’s not them I’m afraid of. I scream that I’m not a Stark, that this isn’t my place, but it’s no good, I have to go anyway, so I start down, feeling the walls as I descend, with no torch to light the way. It gets darker and darker, until I want to scream.

He will become Jon Stark,I believe. It is just his stabbing was an important plot tool in order for Jon to undergo "spiritual journey". He will learn who he really is and what house Stark is really about and embrace his mother's house words. He will become new King of Winter.

Don't think it's a 'what if' myself personally. Jon's a Stark, regardless of his father. I don't see him having any interest in anything to do with house targaryen. he was raised a stark, and his battle is at the wall - to save the world, not pursue a throne.

^ This

Archived