the lord of light is bull?

ian stark

right this has been frustrating me a little while and I'm glad I've finally found somewhere decent to post it and HOPEFULLY get an answer :-)

my thought is right that "the lord of light" is a load of bull because... melisandre says the Lord of light follows one true king and that is stannis? but... when tyrion and varys were on there way to meereen the red priestess there was saying daenerys is the one and only heir/queen?? so what the hell? someone care to put my thoughts to rest please?? :)

The "one true king" thing depends completely on the perspective of the priest/priestess.

As far as whether it's legit or not... Thoros is drawing from some kind of power when he performs his resurrection. He certainly seems to think it's R'hllor. As far as Melisandre, Mr. Martin has already told us that she's acting completely of her own accord and has her own endgame here, so she's an unreliable source of information at the moment and probably not representative of what the red faith preaches as a whole.

But ultimately, we really don't know specifics on the accuracy of any of the religions, so it's not for us to say whether that religion is bull or not.

yeah that's what is confusin me as they are obviously getting power from somewhere but the theory just really confused me? is it possible that was just a mistake in the writing and they didn't think?? or do we just go with that Mel is evil and has her own plans lol??

Dude, *all* the Gods are bull.. Some magic is real, how people justify it is not. It is known.

This.

There are no gods, it's all just magic. There's a reason the fire magic requires some sort of fuel

OP - I don't think I understand the source of your confusion, but I will try to explain my view :)

Melisandre and the other priestess simply have different interpretations of the "one true king" concept. Melisandre believes it's Stannis - the other priestess believes it's Dany. We don't know enough about the religion to know if either is correct, neither is correct, or if it's even relevant to the religion. This is a common issue with religion even in the real world. There are plenty, plenty, PLENTY of people who practice the same religion but have different interpretations of some of the minutiae. That's how we end up (ultimately) with denominations.

I don't think it was a writing oversight so much as a little hint that Melisandre is not the end all/be all of the red priesthood, and we can't take her words or actions as gospel. She was truly surprised that Thoros was able to resurrect Beric, so even she is not an "expert" on their abilities.

FWIW, I also don't think she's evil. I just think she's very sure of her beliefs and she can be ruthless when needed.

Magic exists in the world. But, I don't think any of the gods exist. The religions of GRRM's world seem to be mostly the mythologizing of that magic. We already know the Old Gods are actually Children and Greenseers on the weirnet.

Archived