[Book Spoilers] How many of the readers will continue watching this show after Season 5?

Has anybody counted hoa many lines Dany has this season? or the last one? Because I barely remember her having conversations... I swear to god...

I remember Jaime's speech about killing the King and his motivations. I remember Cat's lines when talking to Jaime, even her "I should have loved Jon Snow" rant. Or Tyrion's about Tysha. Cersei's with Tommen on the throne. Joffrey's with Cersei, or when Tywin and him discussed the Dragons. Or the marvelous monologue of Pedro's when he accepted being T's champion. Even Margaery's about how her vagina is coursed or Olenna making fun of the Tyrell's motto.

But I only remember Dany saying "fire and blood". "Dracarys". "We are women". "I'll fight injustice with justice". "I'll bend the wheel".... etc, etc. If she has said anything else, it has been so little memorable (like the other examples pointed out above) that it has passed over me... how is this an improvement?

ETA: And for those who complain that she was all about Daario's cock, then let's remember Ygritte whose last episodes were nothing but her wanting to kill Jon and collect his cock. Fuck the fact she wanted her people being free and not dying. No. "Let's invade the Wall because Jon hurt me".

You know what an improvement would have been? A candid conversation (or few) between Dany and Barristan about the Mad King, Roberts's Rebellion, Rhaegar, Elia and Lyanna. Dany could've used that opportunity to tell him (and us) about her times with Viserys, running from town to town, remembering the red door and even (since writers knew he was going to die) some of visions from HOTU not seen onscreen. That's how you externalise a lot of Dany's monologues. They gave us a glimpse but that was to elicit empathy for Barristan before they off him. It's really quite conceited.

It looks like the main justification so far is "book 4 and 5 sucked". It's not that simple. Book 4 and 5 had a very specific criticism that D&D didn't fix. They changed everything else.

Because, those people who said they don't like book 4, did they think Jaime's plot was bad? Jaime's plot was one of the best storylines from the books. It was not only changed. It was cut completely.

People complained the Sand Snakes were cartoonish. The show made them even more cartonish.

People said Doran did nothing for the past 15 years. He might have not done nothing in the show as well as there is no Arianne or Quentyn to betroth to a Dragon.

People thought Brienne's chapters were dull as she was just around. Guess what? Brienne is also just around beating people for the sake of it.

People felt Tyrion's travels were boring. He's also in a very boring narrative now, just that instead of getting bored with the Griffs, he's boring us with Jorah and Varys. Because 100 jokes about his cock can save the fact he's just around... like in the books. He's just around :dunno:

So, how is that the show improved the books? :dunno:

Yes, some said the books lack action. If one sees the books 4 and 5 as the introduction for the second part of the story it's understandable. Yet, I can see some don't like the pace. But having a more fluid narrative isn't the same as including shocking scenes for the sake of being shocking.

With the show's improvements on so called boredom summed up this way, it's easy to see why I still find the show's biggest sin to be.......boring me to death, LOL It's also why I'm working on a reread and not around here much, inspite of my poor dogeared tradeback copy of AGOT. Once I replace it, I really be on my way with that reread and will have growing appreciation for AFFC and ADWD. I guess I could thank D&D for that........the even greater appreciation of those books, but I already did love lots about them. I never thought I could find a reason to appreciate a Damphair chapter, but this boring show.......has finally made me see the light. HA It's hard to feel real gratitude toward D&D for any greater appreciation of the books because I am convinced that the many of the actors could have done wonders with the material in them.

The fourth book's main plots were those around KL, Dorne, and Arya in Bravos. I feel that with those characters (lack of Tyrion, Dany, Jon, etc.) most people would have a difficult time getting through them. I loved some of the view points from aFfC. This is the point where Jamie and Cersi are now at each other's throats. The Dorne arc is much better in aFfC. And I feel both the show version and the book version of Arya are great. This is just my opinion.

But, I feel like season 5 on HBO is not taking a lot of the material from aFfC. Most of the material is from aDwD or other books. Again, just my opinion, correct me if I am wrong.

Oh yes some of the pov''s were good. It seems that way, at least, they are cutting huge chunks out and writing SL's that resemble the essence of some of the book arcs.

It looks like the main justification so far is "book 4 and 5 sucked". It's not that simple. Book 4 and 5 had a very specific criticism that D&D didn't fix. They changed everything else.

Because, those people who said they don't like book 4, did they think Jaime's plot was bad? Jaime's plot was one of the best storylines from the books. It was not only changed. It was cut completely.

People complained the Sand Snakes were cartoonish. The show made them even more cartonish.

People said Doran did nothing for the past 15 years. He might have not done nothing in the show as well as there is no Arianne or Quentyn to betroth to a Dragon.

People thought Brienne's chapters were dull as she was just around. Guess what? Brienne is also just around beating people for the sake of it.

People felt Tyrion's travels were boring. He's also in a very boring narrative now, just that instead of getting bored with the Griffs, he's boring us with Jorah and Varys. Because 100 jokes about his cock can save the fact he's just around... like in the books. He's just around :dunno:

So, how is that the show improved the books? :dunno:

Yes, some said the books lack action. If one sees the books 4 and 5 as the introduction for the second part of the story it's understandable. Yet, I can see some don't like the pace. But having a more fluid narrative isn't the same as including shocking scenes for the sake of being shocking.

Good summation, although I disagree about Tyrion. I haven't found him boring and think that's the one thing the show has improved on. I also found Dany's chapters in ADWD boring and haven't been as bored with the TV.

But don't get me started on all the changes they've made in the North...No Mance and No Manderley and No Skagoos...ugh.

Let's be honest; AFFC and ADWD have pacing problems, made all the more severe by comparisons to how tightly plotted the first three books are. But how that can be used as justification for the show being boring I will never understand. I thought the point of an adaption was to take the best parts of something and translate it into another media, not chop and change characters and plot points whenever they want, yet doggedly copy one of the key criticisms of the tail end of the series.

But no, not even D and D can make me think that cutting Damphair was a bad idea. What was GRRM's editor thinking?!

Let's be honest; AFFC and ADWD have pacing problems, made all the more severe by comparisons to how tightly plotted the first three books are. But how that can be used as justification for the show being boring I will never understand. I thought the point of an adaption was to take the best parts of something and translate it into another media, not chop and change characters and plot points whenever they want, yet doggedly copy one of the key criticisms of the tail end of the series.

But no, not even D and D can make me think that cutting Damphair was a bad idea. What was GRRM's editor thinking?!

lol. No idea what GRRM was thinking with Damphair and all the Ironborn POVs. That being said, i think Damphair and Euron/Vic would be GREAT on the TV show. D & D really screwed up with the Dorne/Ironborn decision. Should have cut Dorne and put the Ironborn in.

I am always surprised at being the one person who enjoyed the Damphair chapters. The man worships Cthullu guys!

And you could have had such amazingly eerie television with Euron, and Damphair calling out to the waves and the whole Kingsmoot.

lol. No idea what GRRM was thinking with Damphair and all the Ironborn POVs. That being said, i think Damphair and Euron/Vic would be GREAT on the TV show. D & D really screwed up with the Dorne/Ironborn decision. Should have cut Dorne and put the Ironborn in.

I'm also often surprised at being the only one who liked both Dorne and the Iron Isles. :/

I am always surprised at being the one person who enjoyed the Damphair chapters. The man worships Cthullu guys!

And you could have had such amazingly eerie television with Euron, and Damphair calling out to the waves and the whole Kingsmoot.

I'm also often surprised at being the only one who liked both Dorne and the Iron Isles. :/

Yeah, I can't believe the show is not gonna include the Kingsmoot. Or maybe they will next season since apparently Balon is still alive I guess? I mostly hated the Ironborn/Damphair POVs, but even I can't hate on the Kingsmoot chapter :cool4: .

People who like BOTH Dorne and the Iron Isles are rather rare lol.

Yeah, I can't believe the show is not gonna include the Kingsmoot. Or maybe they will next season since apparently Balon is still alive I guess? I mostly hated the Ironborn/Damphair POVs, but even I can't hate on the Kingsmoot chapter :cool4: .

People who like BOTH Dorne and the Iron Isles are rather rare lol.

Just... the visual of Damphair standing against a backdrop of crashing waves and booming "No godless man may sit the seastone chair" and Euron delivering his "Whenever men see me, they pray" speech-how do you not jump at adapting that?

i mean, ASoIaF as a book series has so many stunning visual scenes, it boggles the mind how you could keep missing out.

Like Brienne's arc in Feast has this deries of softer images you could have slotted between the Cersei, Dany, Jon, Dorne and LF-Sansa storylines to show how, while everyone else is scrambling for revenge and power, the people are suffering and just want to be left in peace.

I'm watching this show until the end, as it's very entertaining in it's own right, and I find it fascinating as an adaptation to something which I personally feel is very much unadaptable.

There is no way it can possibly spoil the books for me. It's a very different headspace, for one. And the way things are going, I'm pretty sure the next two books will barely resemble the next two HBO seasons.

It's just endlessly fascinating for me, the way this TV deal is working out. George is a canny, canny man.

Blackfish could give him a run for his money

My poor Blackfish......still pissing, somewhere? :crying:

I'd be off on a long bathroom break, too, if the show robbed me of some of the best parlay possibilities. Maybe he's just on strike, refusing to work with Larry Lannister? :dunno:

I'd be off on a long bathroom break, too, if the show robbed me of some of the best parlay possibilities. Maybe he's just on strike, refusing to work with Larry Lannister? :dunno:

Exactly what I thought. Either that or he's training for a duel (with no crossing the streams, of course) against the Damphair

I think Blackfish's talent is quantity not distance.

My money's on Aeron Greyjoy, owner of the Golden Storm.

The Drowned God gives every man a gift, even him; no man could piss longer or farther than Aeron Greyjoy, as he proved at every feast. Once he bet his new longship against a herd of goats that he could quench a hearthfire with no more than his cock. Aeron feasted on goat for a year, and named the longship Golden Storm, though Balon threatened to hang him from her mast when he heard what sort of ram his brother proposed to mount upon her prow.

I keep having typos because of the tears in my eyes :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Exactly what I thought. Either that or he's training for a duel (with no crossing the streams, of course) against the Damphair

Bhahahaha

I do think you have a point on the quantity vs 'skills?, lol' as far as the uncles are concerned. It's not like D&D seem to be looking for the poor Blackfish (or Uncle Aeron for that matter), I'd hide in the damn outhouse, too.

Hopefully, they are both somewhere safe..........Uncle Island? Remember that old thread? Search is down, or I'd link it.

Archived