House Dayne = Irrelevant?

Dragon Seed

I often thought of that because wouldn't that be just like GRRM to stick it to everyone that has dismissed Dawn's potential of being Lightbringer because of the negative connotations of the outside mythologies surrounding Lightbringer, Fallen stars and the bringer of Dawn. Like I said I don't put anything GRRM.

That is my theory as well. Dawn=Lightbringer. The Daynes are entrusted with the sword's protection until it will be needed again by Azor Ahai.

House Dayne can't be irrelevant! XD

Since the first book (in the appendix), GRRM write of Edric Dayne, young lord of Starfall. He doesn't even appear in the book!

Loads of weird things in the notes of Book 1. The Eyrie doesn't feature in the map but Runestone does, bodes well for House Royce. Actually all the ones featured in the vale in the first map are pretty interesting, Runstone (Royce), Ironoaks (Waynwood), Heart's Home (Corbray), Longbow Hall (Hunter who features as Lysa's champion) and Gulltown.

Interesting about the house words.

Also the fact that Dayne is a Southern house is interesting considering their possession of the sword, a sword that seems to have a connection to the Others (being very much of the North). You would almost expect Dawn to be kept by the Starks instead, but Ned made a point of returning it. Perhaps it is meant to be kept away from the North/wall. (The Daynes are Hobbits, the sword is The Ring :dunno:)

I'm leading towards the Star(ks) and the Day(nes) being related. The Daynes live at Star(fall). Possibly founded by the sons of TLH, etc., one son (possibly a bastard, possibly BtB, possibly the Night's King who had to marry an Other for peace) stayed in the North to help guard it and support or build the wall, one son returning south to Dayne with the family sword. The Night's Watch oath has many similarities to the house Dayne that it was probably built on the family motto, hence why George won't release it.

I wrote a much more detailed theory a year ago, but he search function isn't working for me right now.

Ned found out about Rheagar's idea about TPTWP and how Lyanna figured into it because he was caught by Rheagar helping Howland (Ned being TKOTLT; why Howland is especially loyal to Ned). Lyanna stepped in and prevented Rheagar from taking further actions. Ned makes promises more so to Lyanna and not Rheagar to keep quiet about it and how he finds out about the ToJ location. Giving Ned pre hand knowledge of the events that would occur leading to Robert's rebellion, not sure if Howland knows all this and chooses to not tell his kids. This is the perfect reason why Ned didn't tell his children the story of TKOTLT, because it's incriminating and nothing but the beginning of many bad things to come because he did something out of character.

Lots of things happen at the Tower that is never discussed. Possibly multiple babies and other theories, but Ned knows or finds out that he should (may not be fully convinced, but does it as a dying promise) take Dawn and bury it in the crypts of Winterfell so it's nearby when it's needed.

Winds will tell us all about them. Especially since Areo and Obara are going over to high hermitage to arrest darkstar.

I wish I never read about the house words being a spoiler. I'm going crazy trying to think what their words are now.

I didnt know this either and now im going insane over this.

If that theory is correct of dawn = lightbringer and daynes are the sword's guardians, then the words could be related of protection or something

I have no idea

First time commenter, long time stalker! With Ned so keen to stop people mentioning Ashara Dayne I feel like she has something to do with whatever Ned promised Lyanna and will lead to some sort of revelation. If there is any chance of us finding out what happened she's one living character we know was there.

I can't see him knocking up a high born lady and 'ruining' her fitting with Ned's character, though I know it's another popular theory, so even if R + L = J is true i don't personally believe she'd be Jon's mother but perhaps she knows the truth, whether it's that or something else entirely. I have a hope that Allyria Dayne is secretly Jon's twin, too obviously Targ to head to Winterfell.

Good idea with the breast milk and the bastard.

Jon was born 5 years before. Edric, they didn't each get a nippple, the daynes are all that's left of the Great Empire, and yes wb be important, Ashara is I believe danys mom by Rhaegar, she was Elias handmaiden, and left kl after a few years for unkown reasons, look at the dreams she has, opens rhaegars mask sees herself, rhaegar holding baby aegon looks at her because he's talking to her about her song of ice and fire.

Many people believe that the TOJ and Lyanna's bloody bed, were two different places. Ned's fever dream is not the best place for accurate information, and George has said as much.

I like this i dont know why but i have never considered it before.

Maybe he is dreaming backwards perhaps he finds Lyanna dying and she sends him looking for her babies which are in the possession of the Kingsguard

I like this i dont know why but i have never considered it before.

Maybe he is dreaming backwards perhaps he finds Lyanna dying and she sends him looking for her babies which are in the possession of the Kingsguard

This is the direction that I'm starting to veer to as well. In fact, if I had to guess, I think Lyana may have died on the Quiet Isle.

Dawn is bound to make an important appearance. I personally think Dawn will be revealed as Lightbringer. I'm not sure about Edric, but Gerold is certain to play some sort of role in the future, and I think TWOW will uncover more about the mysteries of Arthur's and Ashara's deaths (if they really are dead). So no, not irrelevant at all. Just mysterious...for now.

I'm not convinced Arthur and Ashara are dead. Having no bodies is immediately suspicious. And I don't think Ned and Howland could have beaten Arthur, I think they came to an agreement of some sort about Jon. I think they know the full story of everything that went on at that time and they'll reappear later when GRRM is ready to reveal the truth. They are definitely important to the story.

Dawn is bound to make an important appearance. I personally think Dawn will be revealed as Lightbringer. I'm not sure about Edric, but Gerold is certain to play some sort of role in the future, and I think TWOW will uncover more about the mysteries of Arthur's and Ashara's deaths (if they really are dead). So no, not irrelevant at all. Just mysterious...for now.

This old post seems to tease this possibility

quite strongly:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/65670-house-dayne-words/?p=3166082

"The Kingsguard does not flee."

Arthur Dayne is -sadly- dead.

You know that Pierre Cambronne, who (possibly) uttered the famous "The Guard dies and does not surrender!" at Waterloo actually survived?

Archived