House Dayne = Irrelevant?

Dragon Seed

A lady can inherit anywhere in Westeros, not just in Dorne. Examples would be Lady Rohanne Webber, Queen Cersie Lannister, and Lady Anya Waynwood (all three of whom had male relatives alive when they inherited). Also, the Daynes are considered stony Dornishman, with customs and traditions that are more in line with the rest of Westeros. It is more likely that they follow Andal tradition then they do Rhoynar tradition, like the Salty and Sandy Dornishmen do.

Yes women do inherit they generally do it last though but a trueborn daughter does inherit over any uncle's or cousins

Welcome to Starfall! Come for The Views, Stay for The End of Days

far from irrelevant, without me going on an 8 paragraph rant I will just say by the end, House Dayne will still be standing...cannot say the same about most Great Houses.

i will even go as far as saying Dawn was formed by "the bleeding star" long, long ago.

The Daynes are not irrelevant. They have the blood of the first men and their ancestral sword is named Dawn (Battle for the Dawn). They are central characters in the most important backstory of the series and quite possibly hold the secret to Jon's parentage and his relevance in the battle against the Others. And like the link upthread said they may have Valyrian blood as well (based on their physical traits).

Another thought.............. It appears that Valyrian steel is the only thing that can kill the Others. If there is a NK and he is the leader and stronger/more powerful than the Others he leads, could he be immune to VS and it would take another type of material to kill him? Say something as strong and sharp as VS, something like Dawn?

I often thought of that because wouldn't that be just like GRRM to stick it to everyone that has dismissed Dawn's potential of being Lightbringer because of the negative connotations of the outside mythologies surrounding Lightbringer, Fallen stars and the bringer of Dawn. Like I said I don't put anything GRRM.

Where does the Dayne come from?

Maekar I was married to a Dayne. Making Aegon V 1/2 Dayne, Jaehaerys and Shaera would be 1/4 Dayne, which would carry on to their children Aerys and Rhaella, which would again carry over to their children making Rhaegar, Viserys, and Daenerys 1/4 Dayne.

For me, The Daynes are my favorite house just because I don't know much about them besides the fact that GRRM has mentioned them many times and makes them seem important. I guess, it's the great unknown that makes them so appealing. Sort of like the Night's King. GRRM gives hints of being important but hasn't gone into detail yet. Hopefully Dayne will play a great role; I mean, they are the "sword of the morning".

Well Jon's wet nurse is at Starfall and she was at the ToJ so unless she hasn't said anything to anyone then the Daynes know about Jon.

Also Wylla was Jon's wet nurse before Edrics.Your forgetting how young the squire is.

Also Wylla was more than likely at the ToJ as we are told after Lyanna dies THEY find him still holding her hand.

Not sure why u think i forget Edric's age i know how old he is.

Wylla could have been at the tower not sure that matters, we know at some point within 2 years she returned to Starfall. Ned had his warriors with him for sure but i wouldn't be surprised if they had an entourage like squires and cooks etc. A lot of people believe that Gerold Dayne was there as a squire for someone.

The Daynes are too mysterious to be irrelevant. First Men, but Valyrian look. Owners of the strangest sword: "The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light".

Its closest resemblance is the Other's swords. Will prologue: "It was alive with moonlight"

House Dayne was close to the ToJ. They helped Lyanna, provided Wylla.

And Ashara and Ned were lovers. Even if the rebelion made their relation tragic.

I bet their words is about their sword. And maybe it means they are its keepers, not its owners. That would be why not every Lord Dayne is carrying it. Only, from time to time, a legendary Dayne could use it. Ned Dayne's purpose would be to present the sword to its rightful owner, the Prince That Was Promised, Jon. Possibly, Ned could become Jon's squire. What better name than Ned for Jon's squire?

The Daynes are too mysterious to be irrelevant. First Men, but Valyrian look. Owners of the strangest sword: "The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light".

Its closest resemblance is the Other's swords. Will prologue: "It was alive with moonlight"

House Dayne was close to the ToJ. They helped Lyanna, provided Wylla.

And Ashara and Ned were lovers. Even if the rebelion made their relation tragic.

I bet their words is about their sword. And maybe it means they are its keepers, not its owners. That would be why not every Lord Dayne is carrying it. Only, from time to time, a legendary Dayne could use it. Ned Dayne's purpose would be to present the sword to its rightful owner, the Prince That Was Promised, Jon. Possibly, Ned could become Jon's squire. What better name than Ned for Jon's squire?

Great post i have had the same thoughts about the Dayne sword being an Other's sword or sword of ice and the VS swords being the swords of fire

Agree. Ned kills the most famous heir of Starfall, buries him at ToJ, returns one of a kind ancestral sword to his house and then just rides off into the sunset? And House Dayne supplied a wet nurse for Jon, a wet nurse that was also feeding Edric. Imagine that, a noble house allowing a bastard to share the breast milk that's for a highborn babe. House Dayne had to have had a million questions and I doubt Ned would have been allowed to leave without answering these questions to their satisfaction.

Arthur Dayne was not heir- he gave up any claim when he joined the Kingsguard.

A highborn child with a wet nurse always shares milk with a lowborn child, if not necessarily a bastard. Nobody bats an eye about it because that is how wet nursing works.

Archived