Why haven't Jaime and Cersei become estranged on the show?

JohnathanSnew

Makes no sense, all the dramatic tension in the story with Jaime and Brienne was lost, it was like they had never met, so what was the point. Whereas in the books, each had a great impact on the other's character development, and that played out in both of their stories while they were apart.

In the books, it's a Beauty and the Beast story (something like this is also playing out in the other one he's telling, Sansa and the Hound). Brienne and Sansa bought into the songs, Jaime and Sandor said there are no true knights. But each needed to hear what the other was saying, they moved forward in meaningful ways.

Many viewers enjoyed the story of Jaime and Brienne, but it's like they said, you thought that was good? You want to see what's next? Well, forget it. Have lots of Sand Snakes and Ramsay instead. Baffling choice. But that's why Jaime and Cersei are still limping along, way too much later.

Will they even do the Riverlands stuff? Once Jaime and Cersei become estranged they're gonna have to move Jaime's story along and with Brienne in the North and Lady Stoneheart out, what would be the point of the Riverlands stuff? Maybe clean up the Freys or something?

It seems like they may do the Riverlands. NCW said he doesn't know what's next, but he hopes Jaime makes a quick pit stop at KL and keeps going. They are casting what seem to be Riverlands characters, and GRRM mentioned the Riverlands on his blog, so clearly there's more story to tell. He's hoping they get the actor back who played Edmure.

Actually failure to save Myrcella (you just know she will blame him) and her traumatic experience in KL will leave Cersei very crabby indeed.

I suspect she will kick Jaime out to Riverlands to deal with brigands we hear casting call about. Hopefully a scene with Blackfish and Edmure would be there. While I do understand that after that awesome acting in The Outlander, Tobias Menzies is probably is really hard to get and more expensive to make it worthwhile for D&D to bring him in for few scenes only, I would definitely love to see some Blackfish action. I think in season 3 ending they did tell us that he escaped, him joining the Brotherhood instead of LSH would be a good idea.

I guess they do. Bummer. They are so out of touch.

"It's too bad she won't last!" - a la Bladerunner

They don't care. Maybe in the very end, just before his final breath, he will remember ole what's her name, wandering lost and lonely trying to find his honor, and getting into all sorts of trouble.

I just don't get it. Jaime's journey throughout AFFC would've translated so well to the screen.

Why pass up such an opportunity?

I disagree. I think parts of his journey would've translated well, not the whole thing, and especially not with the infuriating cliffhanger ending.

But of course, anything - anything! - would've been better to that Dorne vomit they gave us.

I disagree. I think parts of his journey would've translated well, not the whole thing, and especially not with the infuriating cliffhanger ending.

But of course, anything - anything! - would've been better to that Dorne vomit they gave us.

A cut down version i feel would have been good tv Jaime and bronn with 20 extras go to darry after Jaime and cersei start to grow apart(oh fucking wait can't have that cersei is never wrong) Jaime and Co head to darry after cersei using her intelligence has jaime end the war without any bloodshed not sendimg him somewhere he doesn't want to be out of spite there context at darry they meet lancel and have a sparrow run in and maybe some broken men giving the sparrow story some build up have a fight scene or 2 where he and bronn exchange "witty" dialogue then jaime and kevan hold a war council kevan makes vauge threats and lets on he knows about the kids he goes to talk to the blackfish just lift the book dialog then ending the siege of riverrunn with the trebuchet line to edmure then he gets the letter and burns it. Idk if stoneheart is in or where brienne is at this point just made this up over 5 minutes.

bonus points for any freys swinging from trees and being spat on by other riverlords at the siege there

Pretty easy to adapt Jaime when youre not changing all his actions and motivations and pretty easy to make up something better than tv dorne though is rather listen to all the book sex scenes on a loop than rewatch dorne.

• 2 weeks later...

A cut down version i feel would have been good tv Jaime and bronn with 20 extras go to darry after Jaime and cersei start to grow apart(oh fucking wait can't have that cersei is never wrong) Jaime and Co head to darry after cersei using her intelligence has jaime end the war without any bloodshed not sendimg him somewhere he doesn't want to be out of spite there context at darry they meet lancel and have a sparrow run in and maybe some broken men giving the sparrow story some build up have a fight scene or 2 where he and bronn exchange "witty" dialogue then jaime and kevan hold a war council kevan makes vauge threats and lets on he knows about the kids he goes to talk to the blackfish just lift the book dialog then ending the siege of riverrunn with the trebuchet line to edmure then he gets the letter and burns it. Idk if stoneheart is in or where brienne is at this point just made this up over 5 minutes.

bonus points for any freys swinging from trees and being spat on by other riverlords at the siege there

Pretty easy to adapt Jaime when youre not changing all his actions and motivations and pretty easy to make up something better than tv dorne though is rather listen to all the book sex scenes on a loop than rewatch dorne.

Its an idea, but as things stand it would have made the Dorne storyline even more pointless than before (if that was possible)

Again this is just introducing a load of locations and characters to a show who are mostly irrelevant and your average viewer would barely not even remember. I doubt many even know who Kevan is, and the chances of them remembering Edmure are slight.

I do think introducing Lancel this way is an improvement however, his conversion to the faith is better in the books and built up. Most people I watched the tv show with didn't remember lancel at all. It didn't help that he was changed a lot physically since season 1.

Archived