Pronunciation thread

Is Doran; Door-ran or Door-in?  The former is how I recall his name was pronounced in the show although I pronounce it the latter way.

Also how the hell is Velaryon produced? I always produce it as Vella-rii-on although I think that sounds weird. 

It's sometimes funny watching GRRM pronouncing the names of some of the most well known characters differently like Ser-say or Stonn-nis!

Why would you pronounce Doran as door-in?

Thats how I say. Though I'm not quite sure if that's right.

Is Doran; Door-ran or Door-in?  The former is how I recall his name was pronounced in the show although I pronounce it the latter way.

Also how the hell is Velaryon produced? I always produce it as Vella-rii-on although I think that sounds weird. 

It's sometimes funny watching GRRM pronouncing the names of some of the most well known characters differently like Ser-say or Stonn-nis!

Velar-u-on is how I say it. Though once again not sure.

Door-ran for me.

Vell-air-ee-on, but I have no confidence in that pronunciation.

I admit to feeling validated by how I pronounce Xaro Xhoan Daxos. Zarr-o Zho-in(like in treasure) Daks-os. I use the same Zh sound to pronounce the Xh in Jalabar Xho.

Personal preference for me, but because I'm a fan of internal consistency, I pronounce every ae as a plain long a sound except for Daenerys. Maester, Shae, Aemon, Aegon, Rhaenys, Aeron. For this same reason, I pronounce the -ys suffix in Valyrian names so that it rhymes with the show's pronunciation of Daenerys. Rhaenys=Rain-iss. Aerys=Air-iss. Yes, this makes Aenys=Anus, but I can't find a way around that that doesn't change everything else.

What about Joramun? I'm inclined to pronounce it with a J sound. Wildling culture strikes me as vaguely Germanic/Scandinavian, though, and that makes question whether it's perhaps supposed to be pronounced more like Yoramun.

ETA: R'hllor for me also rhymes with galore, but with less emphasis on the vowel in the first syllable.

It's always been Ser-Say in my mind ;)
Doran = Door-An (with door rhyming with floor)
Velaryon = Vel-Ar-Ee-On for me

R'hllor is a weird one because I sort of say (well, think, I guess) the Rrr at the beginning and then it's just an indistinguishable sound like lrlrrrrmrrmrmrl. :lol:

I came across a video on YT the other day, on how Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) explained how she had difficulties pronouncing her name at first. It apparently isn't supposed to be pronounced as Arrrya with special emphasis on the R but rather as Ar - ya. Two independent syllables.

Like what a(re) ya up to?

Another tricky one for post-vocalic /r/ non-pronouncers.
If I don't say the name with 3 syllables (like the word 'aria'), but try to say it with only 2, it ends up sounding like 'Aya'.

Archived