ASOIAF / Astronomy Theory covered by Discovery News.com

LmL

Agreed, and still learning, but what a great journey ! While interested in the historical influences throughout the series in particular, I'd not considered researching.....well, anywhere near the amount of subjects highlighted that George has 'potentially' touched on, a worthwhile project indeed !

Nice to see Yolkboy showing appreciation, and I know you have your threads up at the HoW forums. Once information is fully computed, researched and ready for discussion, I look forward to these guys opinions. And any talk of RW using you for future astronomy based podcasts is awesome ! :)

All speculation on my part, just to be clear - I know those guys have many, many episodes planned in advance on which they are already hard at work. But I appreciate the sentiment very much. :) Yolkboy was cool enough to read my first rough draft after I basically just hit him up from out of nowhere and asked him to read it. It wasn't short, either, as you might expect.. Yolkboy is one cool dude in my book.

HoW are terrific too, as you well know. I kick them a few bucks for their Patreon campaign so they have to read "Lucifer means Lightbringer, High Priest of the Church of Starry Wisdom" at the end of some of their podcasts, heh heh. Love Aziz and Ashaya and what they bring to the table. If any of my astronomy stuff fit in somewhere, it would probably be there - but again, speculation on my part, I'm sure those guys have a lot of episodes in the works also. I'm just going to have to record my own damn essays, most likely.

This is superb news! After all the hard work, something like this is truly gratifying. Congrats, LML!

ETA: Just read the article...we're going to need a bigger server!

Thanks Avlonnic, you've been there from the beginning, so a big thanks to you as well for all your contributions. I always enjoy your comments. ;)

Excellent. I don't think I've read a theory like this before. :bowdown:

:cheers: I was actually just amassing a collection of symbolic, in-depth analysis pieces that have been done on ASOIAF. This ought to keep you busy for a while:

• An analysis of Jon Snow as Mithras by Westeros.org forum user Schmendrick. This is one of the all time great works of the forums, and was a big inspiration to me before I started. You can blame him for my lengthy style of analysis.

An analysis of Stannis as Agamemnon, by Westeros.org forum user Risto, which also has a terrific introduction discussing the way in which George draws from many myths and influences without entirely recreating any of them. Very important context given here, and a terrific essay.

An entire series of incredible essays analyzing Arthurian parallels in ASOIAF by Radio Westeros’s Lady Gwynhyfvar. These will keep you busy for while, and after you write Lady Gwyn a nice thank you note, you can thank me for sending you here. ;)

An examination of the Tower of Joy in light of the Celtic myth behind Arthurian legend by Westeros.org forum user King Monkey. The proper title is "Eddard in Wonderland," so you know you have to read it. Getting behind the Arthurian stories to the underlying Celtic myth - very cool.

A symbolic analysis of blood in ASOIAF by Westeros.org forum user evita mgfs. Evita really has a great understanding of symbolism; I learned quite a lot about all the various implications of blood, as well things which can represent it symbolically. Some of the stuff she's drawn out of ASOIAF is really impressive.

As a long term lurker on your threads/blog, I just wanted to say congratulations! :cheers:

It's obvious that you've put in a lot of effort into your theories and I'm happy to see it paying off for you. Keep up the great work!

Congrats ser!

:cheers:

As a long term lurker on your threads/blog, I just wanted to say congratulations! :cheers:

It's obvious that you've put in a lot of effort into your theories and I'm happy to see it paying off for you. Keep up the great work!

The best kind of congratulations, lurkers from the shadows!! ;) Kidding aside, I appreciate you taking a minute to comment. I'm glad you enjoy the threads, lurk away. :thumbsup:

Very cool. Inspirational, even. I remember in the early days hearing the "astronomy explains the seasons" theory based on the two moon legend, but it was LmL's version of the story that turned it into something story-relevant and legitimately gripping, instead of just cool. So, from another fan:

:cheers: :bowdown:

Thanks guys, it really means a lot to know the hard work is appreciated. I really can't stop myself from doing it, but there's a huge difference between being someone talking to thin air and someone whose thoughts are being understood and appreciated. :cheers:

I just finished a short essay concerning my methodology and the way that I see George's writing as modern mythology, if anyone is interested it is right here.

So great to hear! :cheers: As such a valuable contributor to these forums you totally deserved this.

Always a fan of your work although I haven't had time to catch up with the latest...

So great to hear! :cheers: As such a valuable contributor to these forums you totally deserved this.

Always a fan of your work although I haven't had time to catch up with the latest...

Thanks Aderyn, yeah I haven't seen you in the last couple of threads. The one to read is Black Hole Moon, as that's an update of my thinking on several topics. It's pretty all-encompassing as far as my astronomy theory goes. The conversation is just starting to heat up on that thread, so give it a read and jump on in! Would be great to have you there. ;)

Archived