If Rhaegar had lived, would he and Jon have liked each other?

XSarellaX

I think Jon and Rhaegar would of gotten along quite well, actually.

Jon is literally a mix between the two.  He's got the rugged "Stark" feel and look to him, but Jon also seems to be a loyal and caring individual that wants to do the best for those he cares about (a trait one can say both Lyanna and Rhaegar both share).  And even though Jon does his share of swordplay in the series, I get the impression that he would much rather be away from the Swords and closer to the books (probably why he gets along with Sam so well).  That's a trait that he shares with Rhaegar.

Jon wouldn't have been the person he is if Rhaegar had lived he'd be totally different. His life would have been about him being some chosen prince, or he'd have been dismissed for being the wrong gender depending on what Rhaegar was going for.

This ideology that Jon is going to dislike Rhaegar because of the thousands of people who died and who he never met always bugs the shit out of me.

Why would Jon be mad at Rhadgar on behalf of people he never met?

What.Have you not heard of sins of the father.Rhaegar was a mopey bastard his whole life cause of Summerhall imagine Jon knowing thousands died cause his father wanted to blindly follow a prophecy.

Also the families of Nazis still feel shame and guilt simply for sharing the blood of people who caused so much suffering.

What.Have you not heard of sins of the father.Rhaegar was a mopey bastard his whole life cause of Summerhall imagine Jon knowing thousands died cause his father wanted to blindly follow a prophecy.

Also the families of Nazis still feel shame and guilt simply for sharing the blood of people who caused so much suffering.

Godwin's Law invoked!

People are going to feel pretty stupid when we find out Lyanna went willingly, and that Jon will be instrumental in defeating the Others. But by all means keep hating on Rhaegar.

Based on some comments, Rhaegar is like a Rorschach test. People see all kinds of stuff in him that is not necessarily present in the text.  :laugh: 

This is the most true statement I have ever read about Rhaegar Targaryen. So much so that I don't think getting new canon will help matters. Even if POVs in TWoW clearly show consent, we will have people arguing that this is the result of an unreliable narrator.

Godwin's Law invoked!

People are going to feel pretty stupid when we find out Lyanna went willingly, and that Jon will be instrumental in defeating the Others. But by all means keep hating on Rhaegar.

Nictarion, I used to think this would be the case, but given the number of people who say that TWOIAF is unreliable, u think even if Bran sees confirming evidence of consent in TWoW, there will be some who question whether his visions are accurate. There's a certain kind of obstinance that doesn't pay attention to even canon evidence, sadly...

Nictarion, I used to think this would be the case, but given the number of people who say that TWOIAF is unreliable, u think even if Bran sees confirming evidence of consent in TWoW, there will be some who question whether his visions are accurate. There's a certain kind of obstinance that doesn't pay attention to even canon evidence, sadly...

Robert Baratheon syndrome. :P

I used to think this would be the case, but given the number of people who say that TWOIAF is unreliable,

I still think that is more hype than substance. You know "Evry1 can DIE!!!!1! OMG!"

I do not hate Rhaegar, right now we know nothing about what went on during with Lyanna and Rhaegar. The situation was likely complex with a lot of grey area.

We will hopefully see once GRRM finally openly admits that Jon is their kid.

Godwin's Law invoked!

Heh heh was wondering if someone would say that.
Also Lyanna going willingly seems to be the most likely scenario but I never got why she stayed at the ToJ after her brother and father were killed.She seems like the type to not just sit around for months after hearing that.So either she went willingly and was then stopped from leaving or the truth about what was going on was kept from her.Unless everything we know about her character is wrong and she was cool with having sex with Rhaegar after her father and brother died and her younger brother Ned is fighting a war.

I mean we know Lyanna beat the hell out of 3 men for attacking one of her father's bannermen (Howland)So he sitting around while thousands of men sworn to her family and her brother are fighting and dying seems out of character.

Well, she was preggers, so I can't really see her fighting along side the Ned. :P

She could've left before she was pregnant or afterwards.I mean women traveling while pregnant is not an impossible thing.Dala was traveling in a Winter Wonderland of Hellish Cold with zombies and White Walkers while pregnant.I see Lyanna going to her brother and trying to stop the fighting.She knows her brother would never harm her or hee child.

Honestly, Im not sure they would have.

I sort of get the sense that Rhaegar didn't like or dislike anybody all that much. He was probably somewhat like Dany, but even more aloof/detatched. I don't think he'd have been cruel to Jon, and probably would be interested in his welfare. Rhaegar may have even admired Jon's virtue, intelligence and bravery. I just suppose that he wouldn't be too emotionally involved with him, the way a father might be expected to be.

Jon may well have been disappointed in Rhaegar for being (what I judge) to be sort of a distant, detached figure. I personally think Ned was a much better father to Jon than Rhaegar ever could have been.

Archived