who's the best pov character and why?

Dr Qyburn M.D

I completely disagree. Jon never has an easy way out. Just because he always does the right thing doesn't mean his choices are easy. You know what would be easy? To kill that man. To not lie to Mance and stay with the wildlings. To accept WF would have been easy. But Jon does none of those things. And it's not because his choices are easy, but because he does what he believes is right. Dany is actually the one with easy choices. Because the slavers are written like greedy, brutal animals, so everything she does with them is seen as morally just. 

Anyway. The best POV is Jaime. He's funny, smart, tries to be just and is a baddas in general. 

Reopening the fighting pits wasn't morally just

Letting slavery be continued outside of meereen wasnt morally just

Executing the 163 wasnt morally just

the sack of Astapor wasn't morally just.

Dany makes more makes more unjust choices than right ones

Do hardcore Dany fans enjoy her chapters in Mereen? I thoroughly enjoyed her pov in AGoT, loved the HOTU chapter in ACoK, Dracarys was awesome in ASoS but then we get to Mereen and her POV really drags. Really would like to know hardcore Dany fans opinion on those chapters.

Yes. There is a lot going on in them, not action but the politics of trying to rule. Her last 2 chapters on ADwD are among my favorites of the whole series too. It's a slow burn, but the payoff is huge.

I completely disagree. Jon never has an easy way out. Just because he always does the right thing doesn't mean his choices are easy. You know what would be easy? To kill that man. To not lie to Mance and stay with the wildlings. To accept WF would have been easy. But Jon does none of those things. And it's not because his choices are easy, but because he does what he believes is right. Dany is actually the one with easy choices. Because the slavers are written like greedy, brutal animals, so everything she does with them is seen as morally just. 

Anyway. The best POV is Jaime. He's funny, smart, tries to be just and is a baddas in general. 

One of Jon's tough choices was joining Robb in war, it was his friends that brought him back. Honor saved. The stipulation of burning the Godswood made Stannis' offer an easy choice to decline. Just because Dany despises the slavers doesn't mean she treats them as "brutal animals", she marries one if them, and refuses Daario's idea of a RW, which would have made things much easier for her.

Anyway I don't want to keep going back and forth. They both have had tough jobs trying to be leaders. Jon in ADwD finally started making unpopular decisions that are at least debatable. I just feel Dany has had to get her hands dirty more often. We can just agree to disagree.

Theon because I like the whole idea that no matter what decision he makes, he is turning on his family
Reek because it's some of George RR Martin's best written chapters with a realistic redemption arc, a villain to hate and one of the best looks at an insane mind in fiction

Reopening the fighting pits wasn't morally just
Letting slavery be continued outside of meereen wasnt morally just
Executing the 163 wasnt morally just
the sack of Astapor wasn't morally just.
Dany makes more makes more unjust choices than right ones

Don't forget abandoning one of the cities so that Cleon could claim it

If by favourite you mean which POV I like to read independently of how I feel about the character itself I would say, even if she had only one chapter, Melisandre. Her POV changed a lot the way I feel about her and her motivations and while I still don't like her as a person because she finds entirely too easy to kill (and with fire one of the most painful ways to die there is) I found her very interesting as for every other character in the story she has shown to have very good reasons, in her mind, for her cruelty which now I do not feel is only borne out of complete disregard for human life, but for a feeling of pressing need to save the world from the Enemy. She has expressed concern over the Great Other fear that before entering her thoughts I thought was feigned, an excuse, now I believe she has real fear.
Probably GRRM gave us her POV only to have eyes on the wall now that Jon is gone, but she might also play a bigger part, who knows, but I would find that rather intriguing...

:agree:

Forgot about her POV, 

Catelyn

She is shrewd, reflective, introspective, courageous, and perseveres no matter how dire the situation gets. She's the epitome of strength of womanhood to me. "Not battle courage perhaps... but a woman's courage."

omg ! This!! So beautifully said....this is exactly how i feel about Cat

Tyrion, Arya, from the point that all hell breaks loose, Jon, Theon, after he has been broken by Ramsay (yeah, I know, strange, but now that he is crazy I like reading him), Davos, Melissandre (only has one chapter, hope to see more), Sansa for the upcoming books (I like that WoW chapter), Cersei (love my crazy characters)

I like those, because the characters and the stories are really interesting. Riding along in their heads is just fun. It would be much easier to say, which POVs I don't like that much and why :)

Dany is not in here, because I think her an interesting character on a rather boring story-line, and I want to shout at her all the time to get going to Westeros.

Archived