If you could ask GRRM any one question, what would it be and why?

KingStannisFan

Yup, typical, all right. I prefer leaders who actually accomplish positive things for the people they represent, not going around killing various family members in an impotent (and yes, I am suggesting Stannis the Wannabe is physically impotent, just to be clear) attempt to make someone take them seriously.

Stannis is not impotent. Yes, he has a weird fetish that requires him to mutter about peaches while imagining his brother dying horribly to get aroused, but who among us doesn't have some quirks in bed?

WTF? Is this book or show?

As far as we know, he's had three sexual encounters in his life.

Once to conceive Shireen, to make sure Renly is not his heir.

Once to conceive a shadowbaby to kill Renly, which he apparently enjoyed.

Once to conceive a shadowbaby to kill Penrose, after Renly was already dead, the attempt draining him so much that Mel fears he'll never be able to do it again.

If he found a woman who understood his Renly fetish, he might be a happier man.

I would ask if the asoiaf universe will ever invent the canon or black powder rifles. I would love to see them stuck in terminal feudal times forever but I wonder if he's sees them as one day evolving into a world not so unlike ours. I've long suspected that the Maesters may be working on this as the new weapon of power to balance against the dragons wroth.

I would ask if the asoiaf universe will ever invent the canon or black powder rifles. I would love to see them stuck in terminal feudal times forever but I wonder if he's sees them as one day evolving into a world not so unlike ours. I've long suspected that the Maesters may be working on this as the new weapon of power to balance against the dragons wroth.

In Fable III it's a fairytale set against an early industrial revolution type world

Well, gunpowder came into being about two centuries after the initial introduction of the trebuchet. Large counterweight trebuchets, like the Six Sisters being used in the Siege of Mereen, aren't recorded (on this planet) until the mid-13th Century, while gunpowder came about in the late 15th century. And given that it doesn't seem trebuchets are a new thing in ASOIAF, you may get your wish.

That said, the universe has already created (and consists of) the canon. The question is whether they will invent the cannon.

Well, gunpowder came into being about two centuries after the initial introduction of the trebuchet. Large counterweight trebuchets, like the Six Sisters being used in the Siege of Mereen, aren't recorded (on this planet) until the mid-13th Century, while gunpowder came about in the late 15th century. And given that it doesn't seem trebuchets are a new thing in ASOIAF, you may get your wish.

Large counterweight trebuchets go back to at least 1185, and probably farther.1 And gunpowder-based weaponry goes back to at least 1180. By the 1280s, at least the Moors in Iberia and the Mamluks in the Levant were using both siege cannons and handguns, and their enemies quickly began to adopt the same technologies. By the 1330s, the English and French were even scrapping ship designs that weren't good cannon platforms. The 15th century is just when mobile cannons were perfected to the point that they made both trebuchets and fixed cannons obsolete.

Also, I get the feeling that Essos has had trebuchets for centuries, or even millennia, without yet inventing anything better. Siegecraft doesn't seem to have advanced much in a long time, as evidenced by people building the exact same kinds of castles for thousands of years. And, even if we don't really know that 100%, we definitely do for naval combat. The early Andal invaders had great cogs, carracks, and war galleons--which, in our world, are 15h-16th century ships, designed either for long ocean-crossing voyages or for maximizing cannon fire. And yet, despite having these ships for millennia,2 nobody's crossed an ocean or put a cannon on a ship, much less designed something better like a frigate.3

So, I think something will have to change before someone discovers gunpowder and applies it to weaponry.

Given how advanced their siege weapons and sailing ships have been for so long, it's possible that they'll get from early fired bolt weapons and hand cannons to mobile battlefield cannons, muskets, and ship's guns in a generation instead of over four centuries years. But I don't think we can predict at all when that process will start.

1 If the siege weapons in the 1087 Siege of Nicaea weren't counterweight trebuchets, they were some other equally-impressive, gravity-powered advance that's since been lost to history.

2 I don't really care whether it's 6 millennia, as the traditional history has it, or only 1.5-2.5 millennia, as some fans argue. It's still a very long time.

3 Also, somehow, both longships and dromonds, with Viking and Byzantine tactics, are still useful, despite the ancestral tall ships of the 11th century making them completely useless in our world. I have no idea how this makes sense. My guess is that GRRM just doesn't know that much about medieval naval warfare. Which is fine; it just means we can't predict too much based on the real world.

As far as we know, he's had three sexual encounters in his life.

Once to conceive Shireen, to make sure Renly is not his heir.

Once to conceive a shadowbaby to kill Renly, which he apparently enjoyed.

Once to conceive a shadowbaby to kill Penrose, after Renly was already dead, the attempt draining him so much that Mel fears he'll never be able to do it again.

If he found a woman who understood his Renly fetish, he might be a happier man.

Wrong.

"Your god can keep his grace," said Lord Stannis, who did not share his wife's fervent new faith. "It's swords I need, not blessings. Do you have an army hidden somewhere that you've not told me of?" There was no affection in his tone. Stannis had always been uncomfortable around women, even his own wife. When he had gone to King's Landing to sit on Robert's council, he had left Selyse on Dragonstone with their daughter. His letters had been few, his visits fewer; he did his duty in the marriage bed once or twice a year, but took no joy in it, and the sons he had once hoped for had never come.

Stannis fucks Selyse once or twice a year. He married her in 286. That means Stannis has had sex with Selyse 14-28 times.

I might ask:  Do you think of the Starks as a team of superheroes like the Fantastic 4 or the X-Men?

But I've heard he grows tired of one ASOIAF question after another.  So maybe I would ask like this:  Am I correct in understanding that your favorite comics are teams of superheroes?  Has it influenced your writing?

btw, if you read the preface to Dreamsongs I you'll see that I am correct.  

Nope, that's the TV show. Feel free to actually bother to read the books and see if that info pops up anywhere.

People keep giving him grief over this.  As I understand it he IS reading the books.  Nothing wrong with pointing out where the show has him mixed up, but you don't have to beat him over the head with "read the books" when he's already doing just that.

Nope, that's the TV show. Feel free to actually bother to read the books and see if that info pops up anywhere.

Friends...lend me your ear. I believe the OP meant 'impotent' to be used as a synonym to 'effete' meaning no longer effective. And isn't that really so? Not effective without Mel / Davos.

Archived