What is the benefit to become a KG?

purple-eyes

Yeah, gloried bodyguard. 

But it indeed sounds sad to be ripped of wife, children and sex life by honor and reputation.

I bet Kings are usually OK if his KG had some children-less sex life and also the lovers are not king's wife or mistresses.  

Not everybody wants wives and children. Especially for third of fourth sons of minor nobles who wouldn't be able to maintain a noble lifestyle.

The Kingsguard is an elite posting- there's only seven of them and the standards for entry are high so you can easily distinguish yourself far more easily than you would in the Night's Watch, Citadel or Faith where there's hundreds if not thousands of people. Just being a King's Guard is a high honor and a great recognition and as long as you don't do something stupid like sleeping with the King's mistress you don't have abandon sex.

Also you're in King's Landing, have a cushy budget (can't imagine the crown leaving its bodyguards starve), live in one of the greatest castles of the realm and have a chance of influencing politics and even gaining a seat on the Small Council. For life.

That's way more than most second sons can hope for. I mean between a holdfast at the end of nowhere ruling over three villages and worrying that you're not important enough to get a Maester or having to pinch pennies like Jorah initially did vs being an acknowledged paragon of knighthood who lives and eats with the royal family and has one in six chances of becoming an important policy maker?

A better question would be why do people join the Night's Watch?

Not everybody wants wives and children. Especially for third of fourth sons of minor nobles who wouldn't be able to maintain a noble lifestyle.

The Kingsguard is an elite posting- there's only seven of them and the standards for entry are high so you can easily distinguish yourself far more easily than you would in the Night's Watch, Citadel or Faith where there's hundreds if not thousands of people. Just being a King's Guard is a high honor and a great recognition and as long as you don't do something stupid like sleeping with the King's mistress you don't have abandon sex.

Also you're in King's Landing, have a cushy budget (can't imagine the crown leaving its bodyguards starve), live in one of the greatest castles of the realm and have a chance of influencing politics and even gaining a seat on the Small Council. For life.

That's way more than most second sons can hope for. I mean between a holdfast at the end of nowhere ruling over three villages and worrying that you're not important enough to get a Maester or having to pinch pennies like Jorah initially did vs being an acknowledged paragon of knighthood who lives and eats with the royal family and has one in six chances of becoming an important policy maker?

A better question would be why do people join the Night's Watch?

NW is more like for criminals. I think it is better to join NW than death or imprisonment. 

Yeah, you had good points. 

It does seem better for these sons, but I am still confused the cases like Lewyn. 

He is technically Oberyn, right? Oberyn had everything, life, family, council member seat, dornish power, etc. 

I bet Oberyn does not want to become a KG. 

It is a very prestigeous position and most of them would not own any lands or such anyway.Jon's mentality when joining the Nioght's Watch is basically the same. Also, as JonCon's Red Bear points out people do not necessarily choose their work simply for selfish reasons.

NW is more like for criminals. I think it is better to join NW than death or imprisonment. 

It does seem better for these sons, but I am still confused the cases like Lewyn. 

He is technically Oberyn, right? Oberyn had everything, life, family, council member seat, dornish power, etc. 

He wanted to be close to Elia and his nephews.

Oberyn isn't married- he keeps a paramour. Surprise, surprise Lewyn also kept a paramour. There were no Martell council members at the time- Oberyn's council seat was thrown in a very chaotic period. So what exactly is Lewyn losing?

Some join for the honour, some for the same reason as the King's Guard; they have nowhere else to go. Others are criminals looking to avoid punishment, or just want hot food and a taste of honour. 

The King's Guard has a much better reputation then the Night's Watch and yet we see people like Waymar Royce or Benjen joining the NW.

That's the current recruitment they can count now, but in the old days the Seconds and third sons joined the NW in search of honor, glory and adventure, even the old lords would often leave their holds to their heirs and join the NW..

The idea of the NW being for criminals is a Southern thing. Those with First Men blood and living up in the North know of the importance to protect the North from the Wildlings. That's their way to get some honour, and that's the reason why men like Benjen and Royce are there.

^this

He wanted to be close to Elia and his nephews.

Oberyn isn't married- he keeps a paramour. Surprise, surprise Lewyn also kept a paramour. There were no Martell council members at the time- Oberyn's council seat was thrown in a very chaotic period. So what exactly is Lewyn losing?

The cons of Lewyn the KG: no children, no freedom to do anything by himself, had to keep paramour in a very secret way, had to be ready to die anytime for king and royal family. 

I agree with the honor, politics and reputation stuff. But in personal life, KG is a bad choice. 

KG is a shit job unless you have no other prospects. Makes no sense for someone like Jaime (though we know he joined for Cersei). It's a glorified bodyguard position and the worst part is you have no control over who you will be guarding. You're supposed to die for shits like Aerys or Joffrey?

The cons of Lewyn the KG: no children, no freedom to do anything by himself, had to keep paramour in a very secret way, had to be ready to die anytime for king and royal family. 
I agree with the honor, politics and reputation stuff. But in personal life, KG is a bad choice. 

Oberyn flaunting his paramour constantly is unusual. The usual norm is to keep extramarital stuff quiet- remember the hidden passage which Tyrion uses to visit Shae? Erected by a Hand possibly Tywin who views it improper to make his whoring public.

The Kingsguard aren't on duty all the time- Jaime had time to visit Casterly Rock despite being a Kingsguard and none of the current batch spends all his time guarding and training.

Being ready to die for your liege is a basic demand from household guards. Sure the Kingsguard are held to higher standards but both Aero Hotah and Jory Cassel would defend their liege with their lives and they're not Kingsguard.

Oberyn flaunting his paramour constantly is unusual. The usual norm is to keep extramarital stuff quiet- remember the hidden passage which Tyrion uses to visit Shae? Erected by a Hand possibly Tywin who views it improper to make his whoring public.

<snip

A paramour is not the same as whoring.  Whores get paid, and you're not exclusive with them usually.  Oberyn flaunting Ellaria is only unusual outside of Dorne.  Inside of Dorne everybody knows the two of them are an item, and it's no big deal.

The Hand who had that passage built could have been Jon Arryn, Jon Connington, or Orys Baratheon for all we know.  Whoever it was wanted to keep things quiet, but either because he didn't want the public to know, or he didn't want his wife to know.  Improper is subjective.  It was damage control for somebody.

The Hand who had that passage built could have been Jon Arryn, Jon Connington, or Orys Baratheon for all we know.  Whoever it was wanted to keep things quiet, but either because he didn't want the public to know, or he didn't want his wife to know.  Improper is subjective.  It was damage control for somebody.

Built during Chataya's ownership of that building (Tywin, JonCon, Merryweather, Hallyne, Arryn, Stark). By someone spending enough time in KL (Tywin, Arryn). Who didn't openly visit brothels (only Tywin left).

Archived