Rant & Rave without repercussion S 5 continued [book spoilers]

kissdbyfire

What did cogman do/say I missed whatever he did or said?

On Bryan Cogman...credit where credit is due, he wrote quite a few of the stronger episodes throughout the show up until Season 5 when he kinda dropped the ball with Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken. He also seems to have more respect for the source material than D&D do, like I did hear he tried really hard to get them not to cut certain things, and he was in charge of the whole History and Lore thing from the Blu Rays which were better than the show itself in certain aspects, even before the show went to total shit.

However I strongly dislike him as a human being. Like as infuriating as D&D are, they don't come off as wholly unpleasant people so much as just really fucking pretentious and stupid. Cogman just seems like a total fucking asshole in every interview I've seen with him and also in his interactions with his own fans. Iirc he deleted his twitter after throwing a hissy fit over something really petty at one point.

We really can't win with anyone working on the show. Like somehow the people in charged of the TV version of ASOIAF are either completely incompetent (Benioff, Weiss and Hill), total dickbags (Cogman) or both (Graves).

I don't know about you guys, but I'm still reeling from that [spoiler] big KL spoiler[/spoiler]

Remaining unspoiled my ass, everyone's gonna get spoiled by this shit show and the season hasn't even begun. Fuck me.

What spoiler? All that is going to happen in the show is as likely to happen in the books as Snowbowl (which complete nonsense narratively and won't happen ever). I'm more afraid of more "GRRM told us!" bullshit that leaves us to puzzle together what George actually intended them to show.

Also remember: Marg was already freed in the books by a Tyrell host lead by her father, waiting for a trial by completely reasonable Faith authorities which are more likely to get screwed over by Cersei than anyone else. And Jaime is well off dealing with LSH and is unlikely to return to KL until Dany hits the city to tick off the last points of Cersei's prophecy. There is nothing the show can spoil of any of that.

On Bryan Cogman...credit where credit is due, he wrote quite a few of the stronger episodes throughout the show up until Season 5 when he kinda dropped the ball with Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken. He also seems to have more respect for the source material than D&D do, like I did hear he tried really hard to get them not to cut certain things, and he was in charge of the whole History and Lore thing from the Blu Rays which were better than the show itself in certain aspects, even before the show went to total shit.

However I strongly dislike him as a human being. Like as infuriating as D&D are, they don't come off as wholly unpleasant people so much as just really fucking pretentious and stupid. Cogman just seems like a total fucking asshole in every interview I've seen with him and also in his interactions with his own fans. Iirc he deleted his twitter after throwing a hissy fit over something really petty at one point.

We really can't win with anyone working on the show. Like somehow the people in charged of the TV version of ASOIAF are either completely incompetent (Benioff, Weiss and Hill), total dickbags (Cogman) or both (Graves).

Somebody said cogman was responsible for season 3 stannis and he defended the whole ramsay storyline with saying it was Sansa's choice. So I'd maybe put him in the arsehole and incompetent pile.

Somebody said cogman was responsible for season 3 stannis and he defended the whole ramsay storyline with saying it was Sansa's choice. So I'd maybe put him in the arsehole and incompetent pile.

I didn't know about the latter, though that is a stupid comment on a level with the worst shit D&D have said.

In regards to Stannis, back during Season 3 Cogman was pretty much point blank asked in an AMA type thing why the show portrays Stannis so much more negatively than the books, and while he made some points that weren't necessarily bad in and of themselves, the way he said it was really fucking dismissive and douchey. I didn't realize he was the one who really handled Stannis' Season 3 storyline though, honestly that storyline reeked of D&D to me and was one of the earliest examples of the downfall of the show imo. But considering the way Cogman gets his panties in a knot the moment someone even so much as mentions Stannis it doesn't surprise me that much.

What spoiler? All that is going to happen in the show is as likely to happen in the books as Snowbowl (which complete nonsense narratively and won't happen ever). I'm more afraid of more "GRRM told us!" bullshit that leaves us to puzzle together what George actually intended them to show.

Also remember: Marg was already freed in the books by a Tyrell host lead by her father, waiting for a trial by completely reasonable Faith authorities which are more likely to get screwed over by Cersei than anyone else. And Jaime is well off dealing with LSH and is unlikely to return to KL until Dany hits the city to tick off the last points of Cersei's prophecy. There is nothing the show can spoil of any of that.

I know, but I'm mostly talking about the whole [spoiler] Margaery becomes a zealot [/spoiler] thing. Although, yes, we have no way of knowing what's a spoiler and what's fanfic, but that kinda maybe jibes with the oft-mentioned line in Mercy about [spoiler] a queen threatening to have Swyft's head if he came back without the money [/spoiler]

Cogman and D & D claim that when writing season 2, when Sophie was 14 and about to turn 15, they were wanting to put her with Ramsay, whom they had not cast yet. I really think there is something disturbing regarding this, if they are being truthful. I mean, they started auditioning Sophie when she was 12 years old and the Pilot we saw was filmed with her at ages 13 and 14. Creepy.

I didn't know about the latter, though that is a stupid comment on a level with the worst shit D&D have said.

In regards to Stannis, back during Season 3 Cogman was pretty much point blank asked in an AMA type thing why the show portrays Stannis so much more negatively than the books, and while he made some points that weren't necessarily bad in and of themselves, the way he said it was really fucking dismissive and douchey. I didn't realize he was the one who really handled Stannis' Season 3 storyline though, honestly that storyline reeked of D&D to me and was one of the earliest examples of the downfall of the show imo. But considering the way Cogman gets his panties in a knot the moment someone even so much as mentions Stannis it doesn't surprise me that much.

3 pages back i was told on twitter he tried to claim that Sansa made a choice to marry Ramsay and pretty much made that episode out to be Sansa got what she asked for.

He also did the episode where stannis had to go the iron bank and liked that he had to swallow his pride.

I know, but I'm mostly talking about the whole [spoiler] Margaery becomes a zealot [/spoiler] thing. Although, yes, we have no way of knowing what's a spoiler and what's fanfic, but that kinda maybe jibes with the oft-mentioned line in Mercy about [spoiler] a queen threatening to have Swyft's head if he came back without the money [/spoiler]

Maybe you're overreacting because you are a Tyrell fan? Yes, D&D so far have spoiled us on Shireen, period. But, as Toth says, that's only because of the whole "George told us" aspect.

BTW, an exercise: can you think of one, AT LEAST ONE, character who hasn't been butchered on the show? I guess if we think hard enough, we can come up with one oversighted by Ding & Dong's reverse Midas touch.

As I already said, Marg is already free in the books and I don't see any reason to assume that her short time in jail changed her that way. There is no spoiler, trust me. They are just making shit up to make the Faith Militant look like evil brainwashing maniacs. The Faith in the books however has no reason to do something like that. The only change I can imagine is Marg being pissed, which is already implied and shown in regards to Cersei.

The show doesn't portray Stannis more negatively than the books. I mean, being introduced burning statues and being introduced burning people is basically the same thing! /s

Is it that obvious? *blushes*

I don't know, Good Guy Garlan. Is it?  :P

I don't think show!Marg becoming a zealot is necessarily a book spoiler. I mean... look at what they did to Lancel.

When Stannis caves in and burns Shireen was the point of destruction of Stannis's character. I do not see him calling for it in the books, Selsye and Mel may do it on their own but not him.

I could see him doing it in the books but not because it was sort of snowy for a day and 21 guys burned everything he ever has or will own in the future. It would need to be properly desperate like the wall has fallen and the others are coming.

I could see him doing it in the books but not because it was sort of snowy for a day and 21 guys burned everything he ever has or will own in the future. It would need to be properly desperate like the wall has fallen and the others are coming.

I have given thought to the pink letter being sent by Stannis, coded as a signal to Mel and or Selyse but I will not know until TWOW is released. No, straight up cannot see Stannis burning Shireen. Especially now. He is burning men who turn to cannibalizm to maintain discipline but I think Stannis is losing faith in Rhillor. If he gets a demonstration of Bran through the Weirwood tree, he might convert to the Old Gods.

Archived