Does Dunk the Small have any children?

purple-eyes

What....Do you guys not recall Brienne mentioning her being taught in arms and going into the armory at home and seeing Dunks shield just chilling.
Also the whole person not a knight being the greatest knight thing that they both have in common.

Brienne being Dunk's descendant though is kind of problematic seeing as Dunk

A) was a commoner which makes any marriage to a noble, which is what has to have happened for Brienne to be Brienne Tarth like she is, problematic. He might have been the guy training a prince of the realm, but Dunk was himself common born and wouldn't really be bringing anything to the table for a noble marriage. So he either has to have gotten really lucky and the family didn't mind, or his descendants just kept moving on up until they were of high enough social standing to marry into the Tarths but we've only got like 2-3 generations before we hit Brienne so not much time to do this

B ) became a KG when Aegon became King in 233AC, and then spent the next 26 years until his death as a KG in 259AC. Ergo he couldn't marry, and couldn't have kids for 26 years, so he would have had to have been married prior to joining the KG to have fathered a child. But it seems to be that you couldn't be married when you join the KG as Barristan says that he had to stop his marriage from happening before he joined the KG, and Fireball made his wife join the silent sisters (and therefore end the marriage) as Aegon IV had promised him a spot in the KG. So Dunk couldn't have been married in 233 which means he has to have had the kid before this.

But GRRM's pretty much confirmed that Brienne descends from Dunk so I'm sure he's got it all figured out how that happened.

Brienne being Dunk's descendant though is kind of problematic seeing as Dunk

A) was a commoner which makes any marriage to a noble, which is what has to have happened for Brienne to be Brienne Tarth like she is, problematic. He might have been the guy training a prince of the realm, but Dunk was himself common born and wouldn't really be bringing anything to the table for a noble marriage. So he either has to have gotten really lucky and the family didn't mind, or his descendants just kept moving on up until they were of high enough social standing to marry into the Tarths but we've only got like 2-3 generations before we hit Brienne so not much time to do this
B) became a KG when Aegon became King in 233AC, and then spent the next 26 years until his death as a KG in 259AC. Ergo he couldn't marry, and couldn't have kids for 26 years, so he would have had to have been married prior to joining the KG to have fathered a child. But it seems to be that you couldn't be married when you join the KG as Barristan says that he had to stop his marriage from happening before he joined the KG, and Fireball made his wife join the silent sisters (and therefore end the marriage) as Aegon IV had promised him a spot in the KG. So Dunk couldn't have been married in 233 which means he has to have had the kid before this.

But GRRM's pretty much confirmed that Brienne descends from Dunk so I'm sure he's got it all figured out how that happened.

He was the hero of at least two Blackfyre Rebellions. His reputation could very well have outweighed his "common" status. We also, unless I'm mistaken, don't know when he became a member of the KG. He was 16-18 in 209 (in THK), therefore he was 40-42 in 233 - old enough to have wed and had a child by then - even if he did join the KG when Egg was named king.

ETA: Perhaps he was a widower at this point.

What....Do you guys not recall Brienne mentioning her being taught in arms and going into the armory at home and seeing Dunks shield just chilling.
Also the whole person not a knight being the greatest knight thing that they both have in common.

\/

i think he thought that u only thought that Brienne was the only descendant of Dunk. he was just throwing another one out there. but this is off topic

Yes

\/

Yes

oh okay I thought you meant Hodor was his only descendant.

Would also be like GRRM to have Dunk father a bastard.He may be one of the greatest knights ever but he's human.He's not some paragon of virtue.

Hell Lewyn had a paramour and Barristan doesn't care.So long as you don't fuck the kings mistress your okay.The members of the Watch have sex with women at Moles town and no one cares.

So long as your willing to kill and die for your vows where you put your penis doesn't really matter.

Why Brienne has to be descendant of Dunk via marriage? Maybe someone from her family was a bit... naughty and Dunk left a little bundle of joy in the oven of some other guy's wife... cough cough.

this is my thinking as well. he was like a Oberyn Martell,  but might have been oblivious of what he left behnd.

Somewhere said house tarth also has some Targ blood.
I am wondering who this is.
Is it possible that dunk married somebody from Targ, like aegon's sister?
Then got a daughter and this daughter married into tarth.

where does it say that Tarth has Targ blood?

but ya back on topic for this thread. i am a believer that the Reeds are from the line of Duncan the Small the Prince of Dragonflies.

and one way this could have impacted the TOJ is that Howland, having royal blood, could not be harmed by the Kingsguard by having sworn oaths not to.

it seems strange that a scawny little guy who is by no means a warrior was able to duke it out with some heavy weights and come away with it. mind u he had greater numbers on his side, but u think it that the KG should have been able to take him out quick to better their odds.

just think of this scene, Ned is down, with Arthur over him about to finish the job when Howland jumps in between them and checks Arthurs swing, not being able to hurt him. Giving Ned the time to strike.

idk this just makes a whole lot more sense then Howland throwing a net on Arthur. just my opinion

oh okay I thought you meant Hodor was his only descendant.

Would also be like GRRM to have Dunk father a bastard.He may be one of the greatest knights ever but he's human.He's not some paragon of virtue.

Hell Lewyn had a paramour and Barristan doesn't care.So long as you don't fuck the kings mistress your okay.The members of the Watch have sex with women at Moles town and no one cares.

So long as your willing to kill and die for your vows where you put your penis doesn't really matter.

The Bit from Dance with Bran in the tree where he sees a woman who looks like Nan kissing a very tall man combined with the next novella being about D&E in Winterfell leads me to specualte that hodor is his bastard progeny 

but ya back on topic for this thread. i am a believer that the Reeds are from the line of Duncan the Small the Prince of Dragonflies.

and one way this could have impacted the TOJ is that Howland, having royal blood, could not be harmed by the Kingsguard by having sworn oaths not to.

it seems strange that a scawny little guy who is by no means a warrior was able to duke it out with some heavy weights and come away with it. mind u he had greater numbers on his side, but u think it that the KG should have been able to take him out quick to better their odds.

just think of this scene, Ned is down, with Arthur over him about to finish the job when Howland jumps in between them and checks Arthurs swing, not being able to hurt him. Giving Ned the time to strike.

idk this just makes a whole lot more sense then Howland throwing a net on Arthur. just my opinion

Well Howland was the veteran of a year long war by that point, so he hardly was an incompetent warrior anymore. Otherwise he'd never have survived any part of the war.

And Hightower was like in his 70's with a bad hand, so he probably wasn't much of a threat anymore.

And Whent was probably like in his 50's so he probably wasn't that good anymore, if he was ever anything more than average of which we don't know

Really only Arthur Dayne is the heavyweight of the bunch at the TOJ.

Well Howland was the veteran of a year long war by that point, so he hardly was an incompetent warrior anymore. Otherwise he'd never have survived any part of the war.

And Hightower was like in his 70's with a bad hand, so he probably wasn't much of a threat anymore.

And Whent was probably like in his 50's so he probably wasn't that good anymore, if he was ever anything more than average of which we don't know

Hightower was in his 60s iirc and Whent in his 30s.

ok so ur basing the fact that these warriors werent in their prime but still almost won a 3v7?

ya i dont like that defence to much. just take a look at Barry and how old he is. fighting isnt all brawn, it is brains too.

but ur right on the howland part. just dont remember him being mentioned really in all the rest of the war

Howland as a Targ descendant is pretty desperate...

Duncan probably had a daughter or two. They might have died at Summerhall - more likely no one cares because they're daughters and he abdicated. There's dozens of other female loose ends in the Targ family tree so it doesn't really make a difference.

have u read the original thread?

Hightower was in his 60s iirc and Whent in his 30s.

We have no ages for either of them. So no we don't know their ages but Whent's is definitely wrong and Hightower was probably older than his 60's

I placed Hightower in his 70's seeing as he's called "old Ser Gerold Hightower" by Ned at the TOJ, he was the uncle of the current Lord Leyton "Old Man" Hightower who must be at least in his 60's given his nickname (and the fact that his daughters married Mace and Jorah, both men in their mid 40's), that he'd been LC for 24 years by that point, and how Jaime mentions that Gerold's fabled strength was already gone when Jaime joined the KG. Everything points to him being quite old.

As for Whent, he was the younger brother of "old Lord Whent" according to Barristan. Putting him in his 30's doesn't really make any sense at all if his older brother was considered old as that would require Oswell to be at least like 30 years younger than his brother. Not impossible, but certainly not likely which is why I say Whent was probably in his 50's

The Bit from Dance with Bran in the tree where he sees a woman who looks like Nan kissing a very tall man combined with the next novella being about D&E in Winterfell leads me to specualte that hodor is his bastard progeny 

Hodor can't be Dunk's bastard son seeing as he's Old Nan's great-grandson

Archived