Kissed by fire. Do Redheads have more fun?

JaegrM

Okay, so late last night, I was reading about how Sophie Turner (The actress who portrays Sansa) was going to be playing Jean Grey in the upcoming X-men films. For those not aware... Jean Grey becomes Phoenix. A super powerful entity.
Anyway, while I slept I dreamt of Sansa being beyond The Wall (possibly in the haunted forest?) and she was completely immune to wights.
After I woke up and reflected on how awesome my dream was, I got to thinking;
Is there anything to redheads actually being lucky in this series? 
Where did that saying (those kissed by fire are lucky) originate?
Have any redheads in the series been turned into wights?

Both Sansa and Mel have the same shade of red, it seems.  Their hair is described as shining like copper in torchlight. 

She [Sansa] had auburn hair, lighter than mine, and so thick and soft . . . the red in it would catch the light of the torches and shine like copper. Catelyn

Her [Mel's] hair was not the orange or strawberry color of common red-haired men, but a deep burnished copper that shone in the light of the torches. Maester Cressen

Not sure what this might mean.  Perhaps there's some sort of prophecy attached to a lady whose hair shines like copper in firelight.  Like Mel's own "Lightbringer," however, I doubt her shade of her is genuine.

Okay, so late last night, I was reading about how Sophie Turner (The actress who portrays Sansa) was going to be playing Jean Grey in the upcoming X-men films. For those not aware... Jean Grey becomes Phoenix. A super powerful entity.
Anyway, while I slept I dreamt of Sansa being beyond The Wall (possibly in the haunted forest?) and she was completely immune to wights.
After I woke up and reflected on how awesome my dream was, I got to thinking;
Where did that saying (those kissed by fire are lucky) originate?
Have any redheads in the series been turned into wights?

"Kissed by fire" and it supposedly being lucky comes from Ygritte.  Ygritte and Sigorn of Thenn have/had red hair, and I'm sure other wildlings have been mentioned as having red hair.  I don't know about wights though.

I have noticed that many red heads in this series are pretty unlucky for various different reasons. Ygritte, Catelyn, Robb, Sansa, Bran, Rickon, Beric, and Edmure have all been through some trying times, whether they deserved or not. I can't think of a character with red hair that caught a big break or has been shown to be lucky.

Lets look at the Redheads in the series, and how lucky they have been.

Bran: Disabled from the waist down, unable to peruse his dream of being a knight. Forced to watch his home burned down, and trapped in a cave with a Kinslaying Guestslaying Deserter.

Rickon: Everyone he loves leaves promising they'll return ... and they all die. He's forced to watch his home be burned down and to watch his teacher die. He's taken to an unfamiliar place.

Robb: Murdered by his own bannerman, died believing his father and all of his siblings were dead.

Catelyn: Forced to outlive her husband and all her children, torn from The Afterlife and left in a decaying corpse.

Sansa: Forced to watch her father's execution, physically and physiologically abused by Joffery and Cersei, almost murdered by her aunt, pervved on by Littlefinger.

Lysa: Tricked into consuming a potion to kill her unborn son, in love with someone who doesn't love her back, forced to endure multiple miscarriages, her only son has a bunch of health problems, and she's murdered by the man she's in love with after he tells her that he always preferred her sister.

Edmure: His father dies of old age, his sister and nephew is murdered, his pregnant wife is imprisoned, and his ancestral home is handed to one of his sister's killers.

Ygritte: She and the man she loves end up on opposite sides of a war, and she dies of an arrow to the heart.

Jon Connington: He's fired from his position as Hand and banished from The Realm after losing a single battle, he is forced by Varys to be disgrace himself and be banished from The Golden Company, the kid he's raising might not actually be his crush's son, and he has a terminal illness.

Mero: Daenerys violates the ceasefire she agreed to, attacking Mero and murdering many of his close friends (whom are like brothers to him). His attempt to avenge them fails, and he's lynched by angry freedmen. 

Rohanne Webber: Most of her husbands died, people spread nasty rumors about her, and it took seven tries before she married a man whom she fell in love with.

Melisandre: She used to be a slave in Asshai.

... Yeah, I don't think Redheads are very lucky.

Lets look at the Redheads in the series, and how lucky they have been.

Bran: Disabled from the waist down, unable to peruse his dream of being a knight. Forced to watch his home burned down, and trapped in a cave with a Kinslaying Guestslaying Deserter.

Rickon: Everyone he loves leaves promising they'll return ... and they all die. He's forced to watch his home be burned down and to watch his teacher die. He's taken to an unfamiliar place.

Robb: Murdered by his own bannerman, died believing his father and all of his siblings were dead.

Catelyn: Forced to outlive her husband and all her children, torn from The Afterlife and left in a decaying corpse.

Sansa: Forced to watch her father's execution, physically and physiologically abused by Joffery and Cersei, almost murdered by her aunt, pervved on by Littlefinger.

Lysa: Tricked into consuming a potion to kill her unborn son, in love with someone who doesn't love her back, forced to endure multiple miscarriages, her only son has a bunch of health problems, and she's murdered by the man she's in love with after he tells her that he always preferred her sister.

Edmure: His father dies of old age, his sister and nephew is murdered, his pregnant wife is imprisoned, and his ancestral home is handed to one of his sister's killers.

Ygritte: She and the man she loves end up on opposite sides of a war, and she dies of an arrow to the heart.

Jon Connington: He's fired from his position as Hand and banished from The Realm after losing a single battle, he is forced by Varys to be disgrace himself and be banished from The Golden Company, the kid he's raising might not actually be his crush's son, and he has a terminal illness.

Mero: Daenerys violates the ceasefire she agreed to, attacking Mero and murdering many of his close friends (whom are like brothers to him). His attempt to avenge them fails, and he's lynched by angry freedmen. 

Rohanne Webber: Most of her husbands died, people spread nasty rumors about her, and it took seven tries before she married a man whom she fell in love with.

Melisandre: She used to be a slave in Asshai.

... Yeah, I don't think Redheads are very lucky.

But none of them became wights?

This is the question I was answering. 

The answer I came to was "no".

This is the question I was answering. 

The answer I came to was "no".

I know.
But it seems to me that the kissed by fire equaling lucky thing originates beyond the wall, so that's more what I was speculating about.

I know.But it seems to me that the kissed by fire equaling lucky thing originates beyond the wall, so that's more what I was speculating about.

I think the whole thing about being "kissed by fire" is because they are in The Northern Extremeties, where fire is considered a very valuable thing. So valuable, that anything resembling fire (like Red Silk on a cloak or red hair) is considered lucky.

Archived