The case against Mizanur Rahman, where is the line between free speech and incitement to violence?

Ser Scot A Ellison

No, not everybody who is anti-abortion is pro-murder. Not every Muslim believer is a Salafist either. But politicians need to stop pandering to the Christian version of the Salafists. Too many of them (mainly, but not exclusively Republicans) try courting their vote and in the process actively validate those beliefs and encourage actions like those. Politicians who push the "baby parts" or similar narratives and who do not so much condemn these attacks but blame the victims or even cheer the killer. 

Similarly, Rahman hasn't been caught doing anything illegal either so far (if I understand correctly) but has been validating the beliefs of Musim extremists and encouraging them to take action. Remember, this is not the first time abortion providers have been targeted by murderous Christian right-wingers. Gunn, Britton, Slepian, Tiller... the list of physicians killed over this issue in the last 25 years is pretty long.

I'm pretty certain that there are people who applaud this murderer for what he's done. Those are the people I'd equate to Rahman. Not every opponent of abortion rights. But, again, the "second amendmend countermeasures" meme is... well, incitement of violence and apology for murder, just as Rahman is inciting violence and apologizing murder.

"Second amendment countermeasures" is absurd.  Has it been offered in the context of anti-abortion rights advocacy?  I've heard it used in gun rights debates (still stupid) but not in abortion rights debates.

It's been used more widely than that Scot and if I've seen it I'm sure you have.  This one from Palin in 2010 took all of 5 seconds to find and is nothing to do with gun rights, but rather sticking by your right to be a bigot - yes it doesn't use the exact phrase "second amendment solution", but I don't think reload is particularly ambiguous.  Here is another one that isn't Palin but does specifically say "second amendment remedies" and it's just for generally being unhappy with what the Government is doing.  It may not be a uniform appeal to gun rights, but it's far from unknown for the right wing in the US to appeal to firearms to fix their problems, it's hardly surprising that some follow this along and actually use their firearms for what they see as their righteous cause.

Karaddin,

It's been used more widely than that Scot and if I've seen it I'm sure you have.

Are you calling me a liar?  I'm not upset just curious.

I've heard the phrase "second amendment solutions" but I haven't heard it in the context of the abortion debate and I certainly pay little attention to what Sarah Palin has to say as in 2008 I decided she was less than intellectually capable of carrying off the office of Vice-President.  As such I hadn't heard she said that.

As for Sharon Angle there's a reason she lost the Nevada senate race.

Karaddin,

Are you calling me a liar?  I'm not upset just curious.

I've heard the phrase "second amendment solutions" but I haven't heard it in the context of the abortion debate and I certainly pay little attention to what Sarah Palin has to say as in 2008 I decided she was less than intellectually capable of carrying off the office of Vice-President.  As such I hadn't heard she said that.

As for Sharon Angle there's a reason she lost the Nevada senate race.

None of which dismisses them as examples of people in the media as right wing politicians/ex-politicians who have used phrases referring to gun based solutions to problems. I'm stopping short of calling you a liar, but you've made two claims now in the last few days about not having seen/heard phrases (pray the gay away being the other) that I find it very hard to believe. I suspect more wilful blindness rather than lying.  These were the two examples that took no time at all to find, I don't care to look for it specifically about abortion but I'd be very surprised if there isn't any at all out there, and the 'baby body parts' stuff is rather inflammatory regardless.

Karaddin,

I'm not gay or trans.  I'm an attorney with a family living in South Carolina most of my exposure to LGBT issues comes from this board and friends on facebook I had never heard the phrase "pray the gay away" before the other day.  Believe me or not.

I have heard of "second amendment solutions" but not in the context of abortion rights opponents.  Believe me or not.

Whether that qualifies as "willful blindness" or just areas that aren't where I spend a lot of my time now I leave to you.  I read a lot about philosopy of mind, history, and science that I find interesting.  If you aren't up on questions about qualla, quantum entanglement, or the history of Islam does that mean you are "willfully blind" on those issues?

I don't think so, but, opinions can differ.

Karaddin,

I'm not gay or trans.  I'm an attorney with a family living in South Carolina most of my exposure to LGBT issues comes from this board and friends on facebook I had never heard the phrase "pray the gay away" before the other day.  Believe me or not.

I have heard of "second amendment solutions" but not in the context of abortion rights opponents.  Believe me or not.

Whether that qualifies as "willful blindness" or just areas that aren't where I spend a lot of my time now I leave to you.  I read a lot about philosopy of mind, history, and science that I find interesting.  If you aren't up on questions about qualla, quantum entanglement, or the history of Islam does that mean you are "willfully blind" on those issues?

I don't think so, but, opinions can differ.

I've heard the pray the gay away, mostly as a punchline to a joke, but i've never heard the 'second amendment solutions' before.  

Might have to put that one into the rotation. 

Archived