Glendon Ball-Parentage

I think it's a very understandible "ambition" to want to distance himself from his life of a prostitute's bastard. As I see it, Glendon lashed at this cool hero figure and developed an exaggerated hero-worship of his supposed father.

They way he stubbornly insists on being a Ball - I don't see it as an action of someone who is motivated by greed or regular ambition, but as a nearly pathological desire for a new identity, to be someone important. 

(And he was quite horribly tortured - I guess even if Bittersteel is super generous, Glendon still would be cautious to join him. Personally when I read the story, I saw his statement of how he would've died for Daemon, etc,  as him breaking from Blackfyre worship for good.)

And I can see him throwing his sister (and mother) under the bus but - this is a speculation and a wishful thinking - he probably saw the mistreatment of women and I wonder if he will find out about the Fire Ball's "forced his wife to the Silent sisters" thing and realize that being known as a knight of the pussy-willows maybe better than being  Fire Ball's son.

Interesting, because I had the exact opposite view of Glendon's comments about how he would have died for Blackfyre as a kind of reassurement of his Blackfyre alliegence. If he'd been vengeful and saying how much Daemon deserved to suffer and he hopes Bloodraven will make him do that, then I would have agreed that Glendon has broken with the Blackfyres. But as of now he just sounds confused and somewhat suprised that the other Blackfyre supporters couldn't see his iron-clad loyalty and devotion to the House of Daemon. I don't see the good Glendon breaking with the Blackfyres any time soon

Also I don't think that Fireball making his wife become a Silent Sister will deter Glendon from Fireball. Being the son of a renowned knight as  Fireball, no matter how vile he seems to us moderns readers, will always beat being a whore's bastard in Westerosi eyes.

And I can see him throwing his sister (and mother) under the bus but - this is a speculation and a wishful thinking - he probably saw the mistreatment of women and I wonder if he will find out about the Fire Ball's "forced his wife to the Silent sisters" thing and realize that being known as a knight of the pussy-willows maybe better than being  Fire Ball's son.

I agree. It would also be good to see him decide to turn the highborns' insult into a badge of honor and actually adopt a clump of pussy-willows as his sigil. It would even mean he's realized the what a load of BS the saying 'blood will tell' truly is.

I think Ser Glendon probably isn't the son of Ser Quentyn Ball. Even if his mother didn't have sex with 100 other men the same night as with Ser Quentyn, she surely had sex with many men the previous nights and those that followed, since she was a camp follower.

I think both Glendon and his mother just picked the man they liked more among the many candidates and convinced themselves that it was true.

Anyways, it is largely irrelevant, because, lacking genetic testing, there isn't a sure way to know who is Glendon's true father. The only thing that matters is what Glendon thinks, and what other people believe. Those who like him (like Egg does) tend to accept his claimed parentage. Everybody else mocks him and refuses to believe that he is Quentyn's son.

A point that may become relevant in the future is the prevalent view among the majority of the Westerosi about the heredity of "noble" traits. Ser Glendon is a strong, honourable knight, so nobles and knights will tend to accept the idea that his father was a noble knight, since the fact that such a man could be born from a prostitute and a commoner goes against their beliefs about the inherent superiority of noble bloodlines.

• 5 weeks later...

I believe Glendon was Fireball's son, solely because Bloodraven does not correct Egg when he says "born of heroes". BR himself said "born of a whore and a traitor" about Glendon, and BR is a very knowledgable guy.

But this discussion has opened up different perspectives to see Ser Glendon's character and to speculate about his fate. Whether on the side of the red dragon or the black, Glendon definitely did not gain enough fame to be remembered by any character in the novels. Reading about Dunk saying Ball has as much chance of being in KG as Dunk himself, I thought Ball was definitely going to be serving as KG with Dunk. But its equally possible that Dunk serves Aegon's KG and Ball ends up with (?)Haegon's "KG" and they fight to death , or Ball dying heroically to save Dunk or Egg. The first scenario brings down their beautiful friendship, and the second scenario brings down his loyalty to the Black Dragon. The second scenario or Ball finding an old loyalist knight who is the spitting image of himself (undeniably his real father) would cause an identity crisis, similar to the one Jon would feel (if)when he realises that Ned Stark was not his father.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived