Your Politics is Genetic

Persicaria

The way we vote may in fact be in response to our genes. At least, that is what some papers are pointing to. 

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB122047003725696177

"In the Journal of Politics this past July, he identified variations of two genes that might influence the decision to vote. Both are involved in regulating a brain chemical called serotonin, known to affect mood. Last week, at the annual meeting of the American Political Science Association in Boston, he presented research with colleagues at Harvard Medical School and Virginia Commonwealth University suggesting a link between variations of one gene affecting the neurochemical dopamine, which can help sensitize us to new experiences, and a tilt toward liberal political ideology."

http://billmoyers.com/2014/07/17/scientists-are-beginning-to-figure-out-why-conservatives-are…-conservative/

The occasion of this revelation is a paper by John Hibbing of the University of Nebraska and his colleagues, arguing that political conservatives have a “negativity bias,” meaning that they are physiologically more attuned to negative (threatening, disgusting) stimuli in their environments.

Both links are discussing different studies, with the Moyer's link being newer. Still, what do you think . Is your politics genetic? 

I just realized how old the link was (2014); therefore, if this has been explored before, please feel free to delete admins.

This sounds like something that would be far more affected by nurture over nature, surely. If your parents vote a certain way, and voice those political opinions as you grow up, you are more likely to take on those values yourself, right? 

This sounds like something that would be far more affected by nurture over nature, surely. If your parents vote a certain way, and voice those political opinions as you grow up, you are more likely to take on those values yourself, right? 

Then it's interesting in another way, in that how you vote changes your brain chemistry.

This sounds like something that would be far more affected by nurture over nature, surely. If your parents vote a certain way,nd voice those political opinions as you grow up, you are more likely to take on those values yourself, right? 

Politics was never discussed in my house growing up. Hell I didn't realize my parents were Republicans until I was 36.

Frankly,  I drifted a little with politics going only on gut instinct until about 10 years ago.  Now that I pay attention,  or try to, I vote what I feel strongest about.  It's pretty much never Republican.  Nor will it every be now.  

We still don't talk about politics in my house. 

Politics was never discussed in my house growing up. Hell I didn't realize my parents were Republicans until I was 36.

Frankly,  I drifted a little with politics going only on gut instinct until about 10 years ago.  Now that I pay attention,  or try to, I vote what I feel strongest about.  It's pretty much never Republican.  Nor will it every be now.  

We still don't talk about politics in my house. 

I guarantee that you do, even if you don't explicitly recognise it as such. If you have ever talked about the economy, the labour market, public education, private education, the health system, the roads, the zoning permits for your property, crime, the price of groceries, minimum wages, the speed of your internet - you were talking, in one way or another, about politics. I'm always baffled when people say they don't talk about or don't care about politics, because the whole point of politics is that it's about making the decisions which govern everyone's daily lives.

Almost every aspect of individual differences in psychology has some correlation with genetics. So this really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. The question should be "what percentage of the variance does this explain? Is this a strong effect or only a minor consideration?"

I must point out though that dismissing the possibility of a genetic influence because of specific examples where one's politics are not the same as either of one's parents is just as simplistic as assuming that all influences on this are genetic. Genes are always recombining in ways such that we all have many characteristics strongly influenced by our genes which neither of our parents exhibit.

Like I said, I think genetics and nurture intersect in interesting ways. I mean new research indicate our life experiences can affect the epigenetic data our children receive. Like the study on dads and their diets; in which poor diets in the father could increase the likelihood of birth defects. So our actions affect the expression of our future children's DNA. How that expression takes place in us can make us more prone to certain thought patterns. I'm not saying that your more likely to be a clone of your parents just that you may have inherited their tendencies to worry, or  extroversion/introversion, sensory sensitivity , etc.  

Being Liberal or conservative can then fall into how we think about the world. Searching for new experiences, or a worry for others may fall into the liberal mindset. While a fear of change and distrust of strangers may fall into conservative thought. Of course, that is a pretty gross generalization, but you see what I mean (I hope).

What's really important here is knowing which political leaning will determine the side of the force you will be on. Will you be Jedi or Sith? (I kid, mostly)

Archived